Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 09:39 AM
jobra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MiiK350
Thx, my point exactly

Yes sir it is!
What times did you hit in the 8th? i've been there a few times, but not in the 350.
Old 06-05-10, 10:17 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Come on guys lets get back on topic.

Anyways, Everyones different. I would personally buy a 250 because I would never use the extra power. I driver 90% of the time in heavy traffic in the city. If i had a job where i drove on the highway, i'd get an 350 because i would probably be able to use the power more. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-05-10, 10:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBeast
That was the initial intention...

I'll go ahead and say that my RWD experiences have been bad, because not only did I take my back seat out, and strip most of the back of my interior making it very light out back, but I also had 295/35/18 BFG KDWs on my car in the snow...and yes, I was too cheap to buy snow tires because I was a broke college student, so kill me.
So you were on your way to doing that yourself driving that car in snow :P

But now I've graduated and got a job and ready to invest (or should I say, **** away money) into another car and I am simply trying to make an educated decision.
And we are trying to educate you. Really.

For me, buying another RWD sports car that isn't the best in the snow is just stupid.
If you plan to drive in snow 100% of the time that's true.

But NJ doesn't get that sorta snow.

You've already had people both in NJ itself and from many places with far worse snow, that you'd be just fine with RWD if you put decent tires on the car.

Sure put snow tires on it and put on the traction control, and throw it in snow mode and it will perform up to the standards of an "AWD" car, or a FWD car...but I'm not looking for another car that I have to prep for unknown conditions. Around here in certain times of the year, one day the weather will be warm and sunny, and then the next it will sleet and snow...sometimes, you can't prepare for that...and I'm sick of putting myself in situations where I have to call off work because the conditions are unsafe.
What tires were you planning to put on an AWD car then?

Because I'll take a RWD car with snow tires all day every day in the snow over an AWD car with summer tires. And I'll drive circles around the AWD car doing it.

(intentional circles, not those OMG I CAN'T CONTROL THE CAR kind!)

You could put all-seasons on the AWD I guess. At which point if you drive intelligently you'd get 99.9% of the same snow driving experience in the RWD car, and still get significantly better mileage and performance without the useless AWD system when there's NOT snow on the ground (ie most of the year).

But to me all season tires are a compromise that aren't really GOOD at anything.

If I lived in NJ (well, being from NY originally that'd never happen, but let's go with it for this example).... I would do this:

Buy the IS350.

Buy a cheap set of winter rims and put GOOD snow tires on them.

Put GOOD summer performance tires on my good rims.

From May through roughly October I'd drive on the summer tires.

From November through April on the winter.

And I'd get the best possible performance and traction year round, rather than "kinda ok" performance and traction all year with all-seasons.

But more importantly, I wouldn't be taking the AWD performance and mileage hit the majority of the year when there's no snow out.

(and obviously you could adjust those dates where you switch the tires a few weeks either way depending where you live in NJ and exactly when you know snow season begins and ends...basically swap the tires in fall a couple weeks before there's any chance of snow at all, and swap em back in springs a couple weeks after the chance ends.)

And Kurtz, I hope you are not implying that I am the "they" when you refer to ignorant people driving RWD cars, I've had plenty of experience and I can drive my car anywhere, I just don't PREFER it when the weather gets bad...I am simply asking about the performance levels of the isAWD in comparison the isRWD because I don't have personal hands on experience with these different models.
And so far every 350 owner is telling you that it's just fine in the snow with decent tires.

Unless you're planning to drive like a maniac in the snow because the car has an AWD badge on the back you'll do just fine in the 350 with good tires, and you'll enjoy the car a LOT more the other 80-90% of the year there's no snow on the ground.

So that's pretty much your choice... do you want a car you'll enjoy a lot more 80-90% of the time and still be just fine if driven smartly in snow or a car you'll be able to drive slightly less sanely in the snow in 10% of the time but be less happy with the other 90% of the time?
Old 06-05-10, 11:09 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For a DD you cant go wrong with an is250. Take the 4 grand You would have spent on an is350 and get an intake, exhaust, and rims.

204Hp is plenty for commuting... It's not like we drag race to work everyday lol

Plus, you have the stang to have fun in...
Old 06-05-10, 05:43 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
For a DD you cant go wrong with an is250. Take the 4 grand You would have spent on an is350 and get an intake, exhaust, and rims.

204Hp is plenty for commuting... It's not like we drag race to work everyday lol

Plus, you have the stang to have fun in...
I agree, if money is tight. The IS250 is plenty fast for normal every day driving, unless you're a wannabe speed racer. It even save you gas as I average about 30/mpg per tank. Both cars look the same, just one take off faster. If I had the money I spur it on the IS-F instead just to show off to the ladies.

I'm not sure abut NJ, bu living in LA where's there's traffic 80% of the time during the day and evening, you can't really drive fast anywhere without being block in all lanes and the cops here are dicks when it comes to speeding.

Last edited by Initial_K; 06-05-10 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 01:40 PM
JonBeast
Driver School Candidate

I'm not really looking for something fast...I have about an 45 min commute to work, and most of it is highway but lots of stop and go traffic. If I get an IS it will be an AWD 250.
Old 06-06-10, 05:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGuy35
If you were doing 75mps in a blizzard just because you have Awd you're a idiot!
Thanks for your perfectly useless opinion and contribution to this thread

Those on clublexus that have seen me drive knows I am the last person to drive crazy, speed or drive enthusiastically.

I drive base on what I feel is safe for the condition and traffic, and I am sorry if I am not like most clueless folks on the road in NJ (maybe you included) that goes from way above speed limit to 50mph on the hwy once it drizzles.