IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frequency Of Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 04:31 PM
KWang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency Of Oil Changes

So i just got my second oil change with Mobil 1 full syn - 5W-30 .... and i was wondering how often you guys change your oils
Old 06-08-10, 04:34 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there's a bunch of threads on this. you should try searching.

there are people who range from 3k miles all the way pass 10k miles. its really your choice and how hard your drive your car and in what condition. for me, i like to burn money and change my oil every time i change my filter, so approximately every 5k miles
Old 06-08-10, 04:36 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan doing 1K for my first oil change, then 6K for each oil change. I don't drive hard or race mine. It's still stock.

Or if I decide to run synthetic oil, then I'll push to 8k per oil change.
Old 06-08-10, 04:49 PM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

every 5000 miles for me.
Old 06-08-10, 04:59 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Though I've heard it can last longer than 5K, I can't find myself to go past that point.
Old 06-08-10, 05:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kentaro
Though I've heard it can last longer than 5K, I can't find myself to go past that point.
Every single UOA I've ever seen on a 2IS suggests that 7500 is very safe under normal driving conditions with conventional oil, and 10k is probably pretty damn safe with it too.

With a good synthetic you'd be literally pouring money down the drain changing more than once a year.

This all assumes normal driving. If you're doing nothing but a bunch of short trips where the motor never gets to warm up I'd probably change it every 3 months with the cheapest dino oil I could find regardless of miles driven.
Old 06-08-10, 06:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've been doing 7500 on conventional oil (while my IS is under warranty) and dealer hasn't said anything negative.

I'm planning to do the full synthetic at 10K intervals soon, I'm curious as the possible lame response I might get at the Lexus service department. Already one service adviser mentioned the lame inspections at 5K when I mentioned it, therefore this is a service adviser that I will permanently avoid in the future.
Old 06-08-10, 07:10 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

quick question. so i have an idea that you can change your oil at X amount of miles. My question is what about the time frame?

I rarely drive my car. I think Ive put about 2-3k miles in the past 7 months or so. should i change my oil within a specific time frame? or should i just wait til i put 5k miles on it?
Old 06-08-10, 07:43 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Every single UOA I've ever seen on a 2IS suggests that 7500 is very safe under normal driving conditions with conventional oil, and 10k is probably pretty damn safe with it too.

With a good synthetic you'd be literally pouring money down the drain changing more than once a year.

This all assumes normal driving. If you're doing nothing but a bunch of short trips where the motor never gets to warm up I'd probably change it every 3 months with the cheapest dino oil I could find regardless of miles driven.
I've been using full synthetic every time.
What about filters ? How long/miles should I wait before getting it replaced?

Also, do you just reset when "oil maintenance" light comes on without oil change ?
Old 06-09-10, 06:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been using full synthetic every time.
Then you've been changing a LOT too often.

What about filters ? How long/miles should I wait before getting it replaced?
UOAs have suggested they're good for a year... but if you're especially paranoid you can go with 6 month/10k filter changes without changing the oil itself (which should be a 1/yr affair with a good synthetic)

Also, do you just reset when "oil maintenance" light comes on without oil change ?
Yup... the light comes on based on mileage, it has no idea what condition your oil is actually in.

Originally Posted by funnie
quick question. so i have an idea that you can change your oil at X amount of miles. My question is what about the time frame?

I rarely drive my car. I think Ive put about 2-3k miles in the past 7 months or so. should i change my oil within a specific time frame? or should i just wait til i put 5k miles on it?

Depends on how you are driving it.

If that's 2-3k miles made up of a bunch of really short trips I'd be changing every 3 months regardless of mileage.

If that's infrequent longer highway trips where the motor gets to run at operating temp for a while each time then I'd change it once a year with no regard to mileage.

As always UOA is the only way to be sure you're doing the right change interval for your specific driving... but those should be pretty safe guidelines generally.
Old 06-09-10, 07:27 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i still change at 5000 regardless. I drive 100 miles a day and car is running strong.. knock on wood!!
Old 06-09-10, 07:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

5-10K if you use syn.....
Old 06-09-10, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you want a true interval, do an oil test with Blackstone Labs and they will recommend how long it can run.
Old 06-09-10, 10:11 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Depends on how you are driving it.

If that's 2-3k miles made up of a bunch of really short trips I'd be changing every 3 months regardless of mileage.

If that's infrequent longer highway trips where the motor gets to run at operating temp for a while each time then I'd change it once a year with no regard to mileage.

As always UOA is the only way to be sure you're doing the right change interval for your specific driving... but those should be pretty safe guidelines generally.
I have been wondering the same thing. I change my oil by time, not mileage...since I mostly drive it on weekends. Thanks as always Kurtz
Old 06-09-10, 10:24 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

The newer engines don't follow the traditional oil change schedule. I still remember when I bought my first car in 1997 and the dealer said first oil change is 1k/1mo and then 3k/3 mo. This is conventional oil. Now, what I hear from dealers is 6-7k/6mo on conventional oil because the newer engines are running cleaner and more efficient.

I go by mileage because I get the most out of my oil from my hard earned cash.

Quick Reply: Frequency Of Oil Changes