IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Alarm Goes Off While Driving..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 03:36 PM
alli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Alarm Goes Off While Driving..

Hi,

I have a 2007 IS250AWD and the car alarm went off while I was driving.. I pulled over and started pressing buttons on the fob until it finally stopped. I took it into the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything in the computer or alarm.

So yesterday, I was driving (3mins) the alarm went off again. I pulled over and tried pushing buttons on the fob again, but it wouldn't turn off. It went from the panic sound to just a long honk. I turned the car off and then back on and it continued. Some people in the neighborhood came running and opened the hood and had to disconnect the battery to get it to turn off. It lasted a good 3mins or so.. A cop even showed up!

Has this happened to anyone before?? Or has anyone heard of this problem before? Lexus wants me to bring it in again, but they couldn't find anything wrong the first... What's the point the second time? I don't even want to drive cause I'm terrified it might happen again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-10, 04:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

question: are you wearing jeans and is your fob in a pocket of the jeans? i never set off the alarm this way but i have come out of a restaurant and found all my windows down and sunroof open Needless to say i never carry the fob in my pocket nemore, i have a clip so i can attach it to the outside of my pants...
Old 06-09-10, 04:08 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Even if it did it shouldn't go off while driving. Try to record it in action. I'd be pissed!
Old 06-09-10, 04:23 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
question: are you wearing jeans and is your fob in a pocket of the jeans? i never set off the alarm this way but i have come out of a restaurant and found all my windows down and sunroof open Needless to say i never carry the fob in my pocket nemore, i have a clip so i can attach it to the outside of my pants...
You can have the dealer turn that feature off. I had my dealer do so after I came out of work and found my windows down and sunroof open.
Old 06-09-10, 04:37 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Even if it did it shouldn't go off while driving. Try to record it in action. I'd be pissed!
But it could've went off if the panic button was pressed accidentally. That used to happen to me in my Civic, the keys would end up pressing the panic button.

Can you try putting the key fob in the cup holder where nothing would press against it?
Old 06-09-10, 04:39 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
You can have the dealer turn that feature off. I had my dealer do so after I came out of work and found my windows down and sunroof open.
yea im just waiting for an absolutely necessary reason for me to goto the stealership... like... if the motor falls out of the car
Old 06-09-10, 06:49 PM
alli
Driver School Candidate

Well, the first time the key fob was in the ashtray so I doubt it got pushed.. The second time, it was in my pocket but I wasn't wearing jeans. The second time, it started honking like the panic button was pushed then just became a continuous honking noise. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow.... I'm just curious if it happened to anyone else cause I can't seem to find it anywhere (w/Lexus).
Old 06-09-10, 08:53 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Any recent work on sound system, aftermarket alarm installation, auto start, or any electrical repair lately?

I don't think the o/e alarm will go off while the vehicle is under operation unless something is bad. And, please don't get mad at stealership if they cannot fix it.

I am sure the dealership want to fix this to make some bucks but there is nothing they can do if they cannot make the problem happeninng consstently.

Again if there no aftermarket/DIY electronic work done then the dealership will be your only hope to get this thing fixed. The wiring is extremely complicted inside this car!!

Please share with us if you have any update with this problem.
Old 06-09-10, 09:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is a loose wire got shorted to ground, or is getting unwanted power.
Old 06-10-10, 08:59 AM
alli
Driver School Candidate

No, everything is stock. I've never had any work done on the car before. The only times was when I got the recalls done (floor mat & fuel pipes). I am a little annoyed considering that the car has no aftermarket parts or work done to it; therefore, it is a factory issue... No?
Old 06-10-10, 09:10 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell the dealership to give you a new key or have them redo your alarm system.. This is BS cause if they don't see it happen while they drive your car for that couple of minutes they won't bother trying to result the program. Just tell them what you think it should be done so they can think outside the box. Go back to the dealership where you purchased your car from and let them know what's up cause some other dealerships won't bother with your ride. It happened to me cause when I try to get a oil change at a different dealership they won't even want to touch my car cause they say its too low which its not at all. This is just my own opinion and this is how I think business works with these dealerships.
Old 06-10-10, 06:59 PM
iSAWd
Driver School Candidate

That is weird, did the dash display mention anything about 'key not detected' or anything like that when the alarm goes off? It could be grounding issue like mentioned, battery dying in key fob, or key detection sensors failing.. that's just my guess.