IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Expensive vs. Not so Expensive Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 11:20 AM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
I didn't read the $3K budget portion, and I certainly don't know how to convert that to US dollars but I wouldn't go with a 1 piece cast wheel unless it was from WORK or Vossen, ect...

Wheels in the TSW range have a higher chance of bending/cracking. Trust me, I know.

how did your winter wheels work for you. did they hold up to our ****ty roads and weather? i might look into a set of knockoffs for the winter months.
Old 06-11-10, 11:25 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Brand is more like bragging rights IMO...
same goes with authentic or not.. if replica fits same as authentic why not just go replica... you will be saving alot of money..
for Rims i would get something decent because its obviously something related to safety but if something decent is cheap than go for it...
If you like it and people dont like it hell with it... its ur car... long as you like it and you feel good than thats all it matters..
Old 06-11-10, 11:30 AM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^i feel differently about replicas lol. to me, companies that make replicas are sort of like thieves, stealing another company's design, manufacturing it, and then selling it to earn themselves a profit. it takes business away from companies who actually put the time and money into R&D. sure it doesn't bother us the consumer, because we're basically getting the same thing for less, but somewhere down the line, companies are going to put less and less into R&D or stop altogether because of the emergence of replicas. i hope that day never comes
Old 06-11-10, 11:33 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Batmobile
inexpensive wheels such as axis for an example are retailed i believe around 2000 but realistically speaking you could probably get any axis wheels for 1000. It's a one piece wheel that is pretty comparable to other "good quality" wheels when it comes to being durable and light weight. Great thing about it is that it's inexpensive.

To any non car enthusiast they will say nice wheels. To any car enthusiast, Axis wheels are usually looked down/frowned upon because they are a wheel company that replicates other styled wheels and try to get at as close to specs as possible which will sell obviously because it's cheaper and even if it's not a multi-piece wheel it still obtains the "look" the buyer is looking to achieve, now at this point the actual wheel company that spent money on R&D is now losing out on profit and will spend less money towards R&D on their next wheel because of companies like Axis. It's like buying a replica body kit.

people will buy it no matter what because it's cheap but that is just the general consensus towards axis or any other manufacturer that replicates other products in a nutshell
WOW you speak!! Lmao totally off topic but how's it going haha what are you driving now?!
Old 06-11-10, 11:35 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

^ Then some of the authentic products needs better fitment.... for me quality matters.. if their quality is good than all the way authentic...
Old 06-11-10, 11:35 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

to the OP: if you're that apprehensive of driving on roads with expensive wheels, then i would suggest you think outside the box or ditch the idea of driving around with expensive wheels altogether. the more driving you do with expensive wheels, the more you expose them to the risk of damaging them.

i was in a similar situation, as the roads in southern california aren't great either. i just went with an alternative OEM solution...
Old 06-11-10, 11:36 AM
Secksee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aliu603
^i feel differently about replicas lol. to me, companies that make replicas are sort of like thieves, stealing another company's design, manufacturing it, and then selling it to earn themselves a profit. it takes business away from companies who actually put the time and money into R&D. sure it doesn't bother us the consumer, because we're basically getting the same thing for less, but somewhere down the line, companies are going to put less and less into R&D or stop altogether because of the emergence of replicas. i hope that day never comes
amen brother
Old 06-11-10, 11:40 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Frowned upon for that, really? Sounds like jealousy to me. "That guy's car looks almost as good as mine, but he didn't pay as much as I did!"
LOL, if I guy is rocking authentic wheels and sees a knock-off, I don't think he'll be jealous. The people that buy high-end wheels have an appreciation and knowledge for the product that casual car owners don't have.
Old 06-11-10, 12:21 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redline201
how did your winter wheels work for you. did they hold up to our ****ty roads and weather? i might look into a set of knockoffs for the winter months.
so far so good, but i'm sure i'll get a bent rim on them. they are cheap Konig's lol... they serve there purpose, keep my summer wheels from getting eaten alive by the winter road salt.

I've bent cheap wheels before - i use a guy called Alloy Wheel Repair who straightens bent wheels. I'll expect these cheepies to get a bend or two...

There most deff are differences in quality of wheels. My cheapie winter wheels cost $150 each for a reason. Cuz they are cheap.

Tho Vossens & WORK are one piece cast, they use a high pressure casting process which makes them much more solid. ALMOST as high quality as a forged wheel, almost.

Like I said, you get what you pay for.

OP - if you get cheapies, don't be supprised if you get bent/cracked wheels...

Last edited by mdgrwl; 06-11-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-11-10, 12:32 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

My oem wheels are moderately rashed up. Calgary itself doesn't get much snow, but the roads are pretty much ice for 6 months of the year, and all out blizzards are not uncommon at any time of the year. I set of Vs-xx's would get beaten up pretty good in these parts. I need to get an alignment after one season alone. I don't drive like and idiot on the snow and I don't really ride up on curbs either.

I'm not really interested in a replica wheel because it's like such and such but cheaper. It's the cost of replacement that is my concern. Canadian dollar is roughly par with the USD, floating higher from time to time. I like the Linea Corse wheels. They look good, and they fit good, and the price is right. But I'm not really familiar with the brand since they seem to be pretty new. Quality and durability is a question, they are VIA and JWL certified though?

How much is a new lip going to cost though? dismounting the rim, labour to take it apart, repair or replace the rim, put it all back together, and off you go? I'm hesitant to think that the total cost of a repair to a 3 piece rim would be cheaper than the $350 to replace a rims. Labour is expensive as hell in Canada.
Old 06-11-10, 12:33 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Drive slower so you can try to avoid potholes.
BAM you hit the nail on the head~ When i drive my car i never ever see another hot car/hot chicks in other cars nothing, why? cuz im too busy keeping both eyes on the road ahead of me~ If you take care of your toys they will last along time

Old 06-11-10, 12:34 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
LOL, if I guy is rocking authentic wheels and sees a knock-off, I don't think he'll be jealous. The people that buy high-end wheels have an appreciation and knowledge for the product that casual car owners don't have.
i wouldnt totally agree with that. some people just dont want to spend 3-4k on wheels
Old 06-11-10, 12:36 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

wow, i can already see this is going to turn into a mega-thread, lol
Old 06-11-10, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Buying wheels that are 1/4 the actual value of the car makes little economic sense, but it's fun.
Old 06-11-10, 01:15 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
BAM you hit the nail on the head~ When i drive my car i never ever see another hot car/hot chicks in other cars nothing, why? cuz im too busy keeping both eyes on the road ahead of me~ If you take care of your toys they will last along time

I never see potholes and debris because i'm keeping both eyes on the hot chicks on the road.

Quick Reply: Expensive vs. Not so Expensive Rims