IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Expensive vs. Not so Expensive Rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 09:41 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive vs. Not so Expensive Rims

Now I get that this topic is going to bring on an all out flame war, maybe, but I'm kind of at a cross roads.

I live in a city that literally littered with potholes. Calgary's road are like driving through a giant block of concrete Swiss cheese that is prone to dominating peoples' rims. Coincidentally, I'm looking to purchase my first set of aftermarket wheels. I've lurked through numerous forums I follow (e90post, Projecttechnik, CL, etc) to come up with some answers as to what route to go, and I'm not really sure. A friend of mine with a set of Authentic BBS LMs just trashed two of his rims on one of our causeways. -$2500. Canada is a ***** for roads (and customs to ship stuff in).

I've looked for all over the net and I'm hesitant to snag a set of "premium" rims like BBS or Rays that will inevitably be rashed & destroyed. But by the same token, I don't want to buy a set of rims made of tinfoil that are going to be mashed up either. A cheaper rim getting bent up is cheaper to replace than an expense one, but is the expensive one really going to stand up any better against pothole carnage?

Thoughts, opinions and experiences would be helpful. But lets try to keep the discussion factual, and not based on fanboy banter plz (ie: iforged is the best because I have it!!!1!11 type of things)
Old 06-11-10, 10:02 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

just get a set of Work wheels. They have good rep and not that expensive.
Old 06-11-10, 10:03 AM
08ChrIS250
Driver

F the topic.... F the price....

get what tastefully looks good and something you are happy with. if you go cheap and it looks good and you save tons of $$$.... awesome...

just my 2 cents.. all i really read was the subject line anyways lol
Old 06-11-10, 10:11 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 08ChrIS250
F the topic.... F the price....

get what tastefully looks good and something you are happy with. if you go cheap and it looks good and you save tons of $$$.... awesome...

just my 2 cents.. all i really read was the subject line anyways lol
+1. I dont judge on rim price. If they look good and fit your suiting, DO IT! But if theyre hideous... CL will let you know!! jk..

I had somewhat the same predicament... I live in Houston, and I tried to blame the streets for no drop and no expensive rims. I went the cheaper route (couldnt pass up the deal from another CL member) in the end.
Old 06-11-10, 10:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

theres pros and cons to both. most people like the more expensive wheels because they are typical 3 piece wheels with a stronger built quality than a typical cheaper rim. not to mention you can have them customized (offsets) to pretty much whatever you like. if they get damaged they are easier to repair since you can break the wheel down or just buy a new lip/barrell if you bend/dent/scratch/rash etc...

some cheaper wheels though are made pretty good. ive seen some cheap wheels hold up to some good size potholes and wear.

how much are you looking to spend? MRR are cheaper wheels than something like Work and they are decent wheels. Vossen is in between those 2 and have some great reviews from CL.
Old 06-11-10, 10:23 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are plenty of quality rims that are relatively inexpensive. Think Axis, TSW, Linea Corse. Most people with specialized wheels don't ever use them like they are meant to be used (re: racing, autocross, etc), so don't stress about not having the best name brand. Just don't get a replica and try to pass it off as real. CL will come down on you hard.

As always, check the CL vendor section for deals.
Old 06-11-10, 10:24 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Wow, you guys are blazing quick! busy days at the office hey? Yeah, my parents live down in Houston, your roads aren't the best either. The problem in Canada is the constant temperature changes and water/snow getting in and underneath. Our main freeway is like a series of Guatamanlan sinkholes.

My budget was around $3,000. So rims, tires, new tpms sensors (stock ones stay with oem rims for winters), shipping and the dreaded Canadian duties. I've seen the Linea Corse wheels, and people seem to like them and haven't had any major quality issues. I also saw the Sporbo Fervore (work) wheels. They push the budget some, but they're super unique which is a plus. But again, If I scratch/thrash one of them I'll go effing balistic. 300~ is a much smaller pill to swallow. Are a set of Work's really going to hold up better than a rep wheel at 75mph against a pothole?
Old 06-11-10, 10:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

replica wheels are usually 1 piece and not as strong as a 3 piece or forged wheel so they would tend to bend easier. for 3000 you can probably find a nice deal on some vossens.
Old 06-11-10, 10:29 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the old saying goes... "you get what you pay for"
Old 06-11-10, 10:38 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
the old saying goes... "you get what you pay for"
With a $3000 budget, he's not in danger of getting a crap set of wheels. Not sure what Canadian tariffs are like (13%?), but assume $400 for new TPMS sensors, $800 for new tires (including mounting, balancing) - that leaves $1800. Maybe taxes take $300, so you get to spend $1500 on wheels.

That ain't bad. A set of Five:AD wheels don't cost that much.
Old 06-11-10, 10:49 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montgb
With a $3000 budget, he's not in danger of getting a crap set of wheels. Not sure what Canadian tariffs are like (13%?), but assume $400 for new TPMS sensors, $800 for new tires (including mounting, balancing) - that leaves $1800. Maybe taxes take $300, so you get to spend $1500 on wheels.

That ain't bad. A set of Five:AD wheels don't cost that much.
I didn't read the $3K budget portion, and I certainly don't know how to convert that to US dollars but I wouldn't go with a 1 piece cast wheel unless it was from WORK or Vossen, ect...

Wheels in the TSW range have a higher chance of bending/cracking. Trust me, I know.
Old 06-11-10, 10:52 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

just stay away from Sevas their are plenty of cast wheels under 2k which are very durable and look great; Vossen, Linea Corse, VMR, and Forgestar just to name a few
Old 06-11-10, 11:05 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

inexpensive wheels such as axis for an example are retailed i believe around 2000 but realistically speaking you could probably get any axis wheels for 1000. It's a one piece wheel that is pretty comparable to other "good quality" wheels when it comes to being durable and light weight. Great thing about it is that it's inexpensive.

To any non car enthusiast they will say nice wheels. To any car enthusiast, Axis wheels are usually looked down/frowned upon because they are a wheel company that replicates other styled wheels and try to get at as close to specs as possible which will sell obviously because it's cheaper and even if it's not a multi-piece wheel it still obtains the "look" the buyer is looking to achieve, now at this point the actual wheel company that spent money on R&D is now losing out on profit and will spend less money towards R&D on their next wheel because of companies like Axis. It's like buying a replica body kit.

people will buy it no matter what because it's cheap but that is just the general consensus towards axis or any other manufacturer that replicates other products in a nutshell
Old 06-11-10, 11:10 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile
inexpensive wheels such as axis for an example are retailed i believe around 2000 but realistically speaking you could probably get any axis wheels for 1000. It's a one piece wheel that is pretty comparable to other "good quality" wheels when it comes to being durable and light weight. Great thing about it is that it's inexpensive.

To any non car enthusiast they will say nice wheels. To any car enthusiast, Axis wheels are usually looked down/frowned upon because they are a wheel company that replicates other styled wheels and try to get at as close to specs as possible which will sell obviously because it's cheaper and even if it's not a multi-piece wheel it still obtains the "look" the buyer is looking to achieve, now at this point the actual wheel company that spent money on R&D is now losing out on profit and will spend less money towards R&D on their next wheel because of companies like Axis. It's like buying a replica body kit.

people will buy it no matter what because it's cheap but that is just the general consensus towards axis or any other manufacturer that replicates other products in a nutshell

Frowned upon for that, really? Sounds like jealousy to me. "That guy's car looks almost as good as mine, but he didn't pay as much as I did!"
Old 06-11-10, 11:16 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Drive slower so you can try to avoid potholes.

Quick Reply: Expensive vs. Not so Expensive Rims