IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

front GFX lip and carbon splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 09:03 AM
flipmode
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front GFX lip and carbon splitter?

I have the GFX lip and was thinking of adding one of those universal carbon fiber splitters under it. I'll probably mount it just so a little bit of the carbon sticks out, and NOT use the rods. Has anyone else done this? I just feel the GFX lip is too wimpy. Thanks
Old 06-12-10, 11:25 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Did you see my thread on the same thing but with rods?

I guess it depends how low you are and how secure you want things.

-If you're low they'll hit something, believe that. Look at the underside of your lip. Does it have scrapes? If your'e not low it wouldnt be a mod that would look so great.
-The more secure they are the more damage is going to happen when they do hit something.

If the splitter came off, no, when the splitter comes off...no biggie, right?
If they are bolted onto the lip, the lip comes off too-----> that will ruin your lip even if it's not bolted on because it will ruin the clips that attach it------> If the lip is bolted to the bumper, you damage parts of the bumper and possibly to the point where unless you want to have that or a new lip professionally molded onto the bumper.. you'd maybe need a new bumper AND a new lip. It's not just the presence of rods, later pulling out, that could cause damage to bumper.

My opinion is dont do it. Wait, save and get a cf lip. Or since the splitters arent so expensive first just attatch them with self tapping screws and hope that when it comes off that it just leaves "no biggie' holes in the underside of your lip. That's not likely because when it comes out it wont come straight down. I, personally, dont know if tapping screws alone are strong enough to hold it especially if you ever hit high speeds. Having just SOME of the carbon fiber sticking out may reduce wind pressure....but that defeats the purpose even if it's a pointless purpose on our cars to begin with, rather just being a cosmetic purpose. That splitter is going to hit even if it's not sticking out far.

So in the end; The risk you run by installing a part, who's intended purpose is quite clearly racing, for cosmetic reasons might end up costing you more than just getting a cosmetic upgrade instead. The allure of some cheap carbon fiber on your front end is tempting but you, like me, might then end up doing both and having costs of other damages. Just not worth it IMO.

If you're willing to accept that one day you might be screwed and need to drop what could be up to a couple grand...go for it. It looks good.

Last edited by patrick323; 06-12-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 03:18 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patrick323
Did you see my thread on the same thing but with rods?

I guess it depends how low you are and how secure you want things.

-If you're low they'll hit something, believe that. Look at the underside of your lip. Does it have scrapes? If your'e not low it wouldnt be a mod that would look so great.
-The more secure they are the more damage is going to happen when they do hit something.

If the splitter came off, no, when the splitter comes off...no biggie, right?
If they are bolted onto the lip, the lip comes off too-----> that will ruin your lip even if it's not bolted on because it will ruin the clips that attach it------> If the lip is bolted to the bumper, you damage parts of the bumper and possibly to the point where unless you want to have that or a new lip professionally molded onto the bumper.. you'd maybe need a new bumper AND a new lip. It's not just the presence of rods, later pulling out, that could cause damage to bumper.

My opinion is dont do it. Wait, save and get a cf lip. Or since the splitters arent so expensive first just attatch them with self tapping screws and hope that when it comes off that it just leaves "no biggie' holes in the underside of your lip. That's not likely because when it comes out it wont come straight down. I, personally, dont know if tapping screws alone are strong enough to hold it especially if you ever hit high speeds. Having just SOME of the carbon fiber sticking out may reduce wind pressure....but that defeats the purpose even if it's a pointless purpose on our cars to begin with, rather just being a cosmetic purpose. That splitter is going to hit even if it's not sticking out far.

So in the end; The risk you run by installing a part, who's intended purpose is quite clearly racing, for cosmetic reasons might end up costing you more than just getting a cosmetic upgrade instead. The allure of some cheap carbon fiber on your front end is tempting but you, like me, might then end up doing both and having costs of other damages. Just not worth it IMO.

If you're willing to accept that one day you might be screwed and need to drop what could be up to a couple grand...go for it. It looks good.
How low are you? what size are your wheels? Pics?
Old 06-12-10, 03:35 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do realize that a replacement gfx is only like 100bucks, and i doubt you close to as low as me.

op i say go for it. i was going to do it, but im going full seibon kit.
Old 06-12-10, 10:59 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MiiK350
How low are you? what size are your wheels? Pics?
I'm on stock wheel/tire sizes and i'm as low as I can go without rubbing, no gap.

Here are pictures after i put on my splitters (two splitters, not one whole front splitter) and a good indication of how close to the ground I was. Hit an unavoidable bad road and bam, gone. I would need a new lip and bumper even if the rods weren't torn out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-risky-2.html
Old 06-12-10, 11:03 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you say you are lower then H&R springs?
Old 06-12-10, 11:07 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

No idea. I have adjustable tanabe coil overs and just adjusted them as low as they can go without rubbing. It probably looks lower than it is...as in....my wheel gap is none but because of the stock tire sizes I still have some ground clearance especially on sides. My greddy mufflers sit low in the back and my front is moderately low depending which lip. I can still go over speed bumps real slow but dont do steep inclines/declines well.
Old 05-08-11, 10:23 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if the OP or anyone else has tried this (without the support rods).