IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying new - how long *should* this take?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 09:33 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pokrface
Yep It's definitely nice. Am enjoying it. One big plus is that it's got the same 2GR-FSE V6--since the GS is a somewhat heavier car with (I'm guessing) a slightly softer suspension setup, my IS350 should be even punchier to drive.
Yes, but remember your break-in period! Be gentle, but not too gentle I suppose.

Although, with the technology of this day and age, it's probably safer to be "too harsh" than "too gentle.

Holding traction control off for 5 seconds = optimal acceleration from 0. The electronic do-dads will kick in early and often with traction control enabled (default when car starts).
Old 06-15-10, 09:41 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Oh, and don't touch the paddles when you get your IS350. I have a post somewhere on these forums where I explain how they work. They are not shifters, but they are useful in some key instances.

Because you have a 2010 version, you'll be able to use them while you are in drive without need for S mode.

Don't bother asking the Lexus dealership on how to use them, because they will almost certainly erroneously tell you that they are shifters. The official lexus website calls them shifters, but they are not shifters, and you can get into trouble if you fiddle around with them without knowing exactly how they work and what they do (I know I did, at least).
Old 06-16-10, 07:45 AM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found your paddle thread--good descriptions. I'm not a fan of screwing around with whatever the transmission is doing--if I wanted to get in there and mess around, I would have bought something with a manual transmission, and I'm not crazy enough to sit through Houston rush hour with a stick. I did that for four years of college with my old 300ZX, and I'm definitely not doing that again

I've got a 2006 TSX right now that has served me well for many years, and I think that I've used its manual shift mode perhaps twice. I don't anticipate ever even touching the flappy paddles or S mode. I figure I can just set the mode switch to PWR and call it done.
Old 06-16-10, 09:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pokrface
Found your paddle thread--good descriptions. I'm not a fan of screwing around with whatever the transmission is doing--if I wanted to get in there and mess around, I would have bought something with a manual transmission, and I'm not crazy enough to sit through Houston rush hour with a stick. I did that for four years of college with my old 300ZX, and I'm definitely not doing that again

I've got a 2006 TSX right now that has served me well for many years, and I think that I've used its manual shift mode perhaps twice. I don't anticipate ever even touching the flappy paddles or S mode. I figure I can just set the mode switch to PWR and call it done.

Actually ECT-Power slows you down too if you're just wanting to floor it. ECT-Normal is faster.

ECT-Power can be useful in on/off the gas type driving though
Old 06-16-10, 12:16 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Just heard from the dealer--my car is being offloaded now, and I'll be picking it up at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Hooray!! The GS is fun, but I'm excited to get my car after three weeks.

(Somewhat less excited to have a car payment again after two years of not having one, but assuming I don't get fired or anything I should be able to pay this thing off in about 1.5-2 years.)

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, guys! It'll of course be bone-stock when I get it tomorrow, but I'll make sure to post some pics by the end of the day
Old 06-16-10, 12:29 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Well, ECT power has been shown to be less effective for doing quarter mile applications.

However, it's very useful if you're wanting to tackle a windy road. I use it all the time for this application.
Old 06-17-10, 08:18 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Got it home this morning. They didn't have time to put the rear lip spoiler on before I picked up the car, so they said they'd come out to my house or to work later this week and attach it for me.

I'm pretty disappointed that the thing doesn't have memory seats--those are so common nowdays that it didn't even occur to me that they might not come on the standard config, but they're only available with the big special-order-only packages. Since I couldn't wait 4 months to buy the car, I have to go without a feature that my 4-year old Acura has.

Other than that, though, the car is *awesome*. Had 10 miles on the odo when I picked it up and it has 90 now. Looking forward to driving to work tomorrow!
Old 06-17-10, 08:32 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Looks stunning. Nothing like a brand new car.
Old 06-18-10, 06:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Memory seats come in either the sport package or the luxury package... you don't need to special order to get that (though you might need to if you want to special order a very specific color combo or very specific other options with it)