IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying new - how long *should* this take?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 02:05 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new - how long *should* this take?

Will be starting a new job next week that will require me to change my commuting habits--rather than working in the same building with my wife, I'll be driving for an hour or so each day through Houston traffic. We've been sharing a car for the past three years, but now we need a new one. Specifically, I need a new IS350

I was a little disappointed that 2010 IS350s apparently come from the factory in one standard configuration and that anything else is considered a special order with a 4-5 month wait, but I got over it and, after settling on a price with a local dealer ($400 over invoice), I had them go to work finding the color I wanted. Turns out that the only unsold carbon gray mica 2010 IS350s with black/dark gray maple interior in the entire damn continental United States was at that exact moment being offloaded from the boat in California, so I went to the dealership and signed papers to get my financing rate locked in and they got the shipping process started.

After the negotiating, I was told to head to the dealership on May 29, and that they'd have the car ready and waiting for me. When I arrived to sign the papers, they said that the shipping arrival date had been pushed back a week. It went from a week to "ten to fourteen days", and then finally settled on the 14th. When I called on Friday the 11th to confirm pick-up for Monday, they said that the arrival date had slipped another week, to "maybe by the 21st". Since I'm actually starting my job on the 21st and need the car before that, they've agreed to give me a demo car whenever I'd like to pick one up, but still--exactly how the hell long is it supposed to take to get a car shipped? Why does the date keep slipping? Is it actually being freighted, or have they not even loaded it on a train yet? I have my VIN--is there anywhere I can go to check the status of the car myself?

Most importantly, for those of you who had to have your cars freighted from somewhere else, how long did it take for them to show up? Is my 3+ week delay typical?
Old 06-13-10, 04:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Maybe by the 21st" almost certainly means you won't get your car by the 21st. I'd be very firm with them and demand a definitive, 99% guaranteed delivery date, for starters. I'd demand to know where the car is at this exact moment, as well, so you can confirm whether or not their new (and hopefully final) delivery estimate is reasonable.

If you show enough disappointment, I think at the very least you might be able to get a free service out of it (not including the one they give you for free, anyway).

Keep us updated.

Are you getting an IS350 loaner or an IS250?
Old 06-13-10, 05:12 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Failure to perform is a breach of contract, I'd start thinking about asking for a price reduction. Keep the updates coming!
Old 06-13-10, 07:42 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by busdepot
Failure to perform is a breach of contract
THIS!

i waited almost 4 months until the dealer called to let me know my car is ready for pick up. i asked them not to give me updates cuz that would just make me want it even more lol so i just said "call me WHEN its here"
Old 06-13-10, 08:22 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by chrIS250
THIS!

i waited almost 4 months until the dealer called to let me know my car is ready for pick up. i asked them not to give me updates cuz that would just make me want it even more lol so i just said "call me WHEN its here"
That's about how I feel at this point. I got an e-mail last week that shows that my car finally has a VIN and he said it should be about a month out. Here's hoping, I can't wait any longer
Old 06-13-10, 08:39 PM
eyeamkeek
Rookie

you should at least get 400 back and and pay the msrp.
Old 06-13-10, 09:25 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

push the dealer some, if they have a VIN, and the car is landed on our side of the pond, it seriously couldn't take that long. Customs, inspection, all that legitimately can't take that long. Ask them what day it WILL be there for you, and ask them what they're going to to do if it's not there. Maybe start asking for some F-Sport upgrades for every week it's late. Start with the rims first
Old 06-14-10, 08:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Their giving the OP a demo to drive until his car arrives. I'm sure the dealer wants the money and the customer to be happy. I really don't see the problem.

Lou
Old 06-14-10, 11:00 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP is getting a free demo to drive around and not add mileage to his car. i dont think the dealership is out to screw the OP on this one
Old 06-14-10, 08:14 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Delivery is now "by the 19th", which I suppose is better than "maybe the 21st". Heading up to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my demo car. I asked for an IS-F, but they said no
Old 06-14-10, 08:54 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is obviously somethin goin on that they are not tellin you. But since they are givin u a loaner it's all good.
Old 06-14-10, 09:01 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pokrface
Delivery is now "by the 19th", which I suppose is better than "maybe the 21st". Heading up to the dealership tomorrow to pick up my demo car. I asked for an IS-F, but they said no
IS250 or IS350 demo?

I would almost argue that getting an IS250 would be the better deal. That way, you get used to the IS250's acceleration and will be in for a pleasant surprise when you get into your own IS350.
Old 06-15-10, 06:23 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carLx
IS250 or IS350 demo?
They didn't have any IS demos at all, so they told me to take a GS350 I don't care for the exterior or interior colors, but other than that it's quite a nice ride. I get to keep it as long as I need until my actual car comes in. I forsee putting quite a few miles on it
Old 06-15-10, 07:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pokrface
They didn't have any IS demos at all, so they told me to take a GS350 I don't care for the exterior or interior colors, but other than that it's quite a nice ride. I get to keep it as long as I need until my actual car comes in. I forsee putting quite a few miles on it
heh... they lent you a more expensive car than what you're buying... I'd be hoping it takes a long time
Old 06-15-10, 09:11 PM
pokrface
Driver School Candidate

Yep It's definitely nice. Am enjoying it. One big plus is that it's got the same 2GR-FSE V6--since the GS is a somewhat heavier car with (I'm guessing) a slightly softer suspension setup, my IS350 should be even punchier to drive.

Quick Reply: Buying new - how long *should* this take?