IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking hard at the IS350, taking all words of advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-10, 07:54 PM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking hard at the IS350, taking all words of advice

Hey guys my name is Weston. I just finished my degree and am going to work in the mid Atlantic around August. I currently have a sponsored 97 4Runner and am taking it off of insurance for an engine swap among other things. I get a monthly car allowance with my new job and it didn't take me long to cut through my list of prospects, now I'm pretty sure the 350 is all I have in my future. I'm sure there is loads of information here and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the knowledge base if I hop into one. Thanks for any advice you guys have, here's a picture of my soon to be sidelined 4Runner.

Old 06-13-10, 08:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok a bit of advise about the is350 since you're coming from a truck... beware of the speed, its very very easy to go very very fast without sensing the speed with only 1/4-1/3 throttle, get a radar detector or be very diligent watching your speedo ppl think 'its only 300hp' BUT~ with a 4.08 reargear ratio~ coming from a truck im sure you know what that means.
Old 06-13-10, 08:16 PM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
ok a bit of advise about the is350 since you're coming from a truck... beware of the speed, its very very easy to go very very fast without sensing the speed with only 1/4-1/3 throttle, get a radar detector or be very diligent watching your speedo ppl think 'its only 300hp' BUT~ with a 4.08 reargear ratio~ coming from a truck im sure you know what that means.
Yeah I should have mentioned I have somewhat of a background in performance autos as well...learned to drive my first manual in a 360 But also had a 03 es300 so I'm comfortable with the relationship. Thanks for the looking out!
Old 06-13-10, 08:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell us what you're specifically looking for in a luxury sports sedan.

What sorts of things do you value? Will you want to modify your car in the future for aesthetics? For performance?

Do you need to have control over what gear you in or are you comfortable with a fully automatic car?
Old 06-13-10, 09:01 PM
2009is350
Driver

all i can say is i love my 350! haha
Old 06-14-10, 03:46 AM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carLx
Tell us what you're specifically looking for in a luxury sports sedan.

What sorts of things do you value? Will you want to modify your car in the future for aesthetics? For performance?

Do you need to have control over what gear you in or are you comfortable with a fully automatic car?
I value quality obviously and getting the most value for my dollar, i factor dealership service in on this one. Looking for performance and quality with the right amount of reliability and longevity which I trust the Lexus brands have kept. Its very possible I will mod my next car but it needs to look stellar before I even mess with it.

I'm dropping $8,500 on a custom lexus v8 swap with 6 speed manual and $7,000 on a long travel kit for the 4Runner, so needless to say I'll be minimal with any such upgrades until thats done. I'd probably first mod for aesthetics and then performance if I had money and still had the inkling since I'm sure my speed fix will be more than fed with its current offerings. So from that I'm not too worried about gear selection. If any ecu were to be in control of my transmission I'd prefer it to be a Lexus anyways.

Thanks for the questions man, looking forward to what you think this means!
Old 06-14-10, 05:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
I value quality obviously and getting the most value for my dollar, i factor dealership service in on this one. Looking for performance and quality with the right amount of reliability and longevity which I trust the Lexus brands have kept. Its very possible I will mod my next car but it needs to look stellar before I even mess with it.

I'm dropping $8,500 on a custom lexus v8 swap with 6 speed manual and $7,000 on a long travel kit for the 4Runner, so needless to say I'll be minimal with any such upgrades until thats done. I'd probably first mod for aesthetics and then performance if I had money and still had the inkling since I'm sure my speed fix will be more than fed with its current offerings. So from that I'm not too worried about gear selection. If any ecu were to be in control of my transmission I'd prefer it to be a Lexus anyways.

There's certainly handling mods that are worth doing (the F-sport sway bars should come on the thing from the factory, they're that noticable an improvement for example).

But be aware there is almost nothing worth doing, performance-wise, for mods on the ISx50 as far as going faster.

If you're ok with that then the IS350 sounds like exactly what you're looking for as far as looks, reliability, quality, etc.

Good luck on your truck motor swap... buddy of mine a while back did a Ford V8 into an older 4Runner (the older body style where you could still take the top off)... was a very fun truck while he had it
Old 06-14-10, 06:11 AM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's certainly handling mods that are worth doing (the F-sport sway bars should come on the thing from the factory, they're that noticable an improvement for example).

But be aware there is almost nothing worth doing, performance-wise, for mods on the ISx50 as far as going faster.

If you're ok with that then the IS350 sounds like exactly what you're looking for as far as looks, reliability, quality, etc.

Good luck on your truck motor swap... buddy of mine a while back did a Ford V8 into an older 4Runner (the older body style where you could still take the top off)... was a very fun truck while he had it
Thanks man, yeah I'm not worried about the performance side I don't have a want to go any faster than what it will be stock. I'm always interested in more simplistic or bolt on mods like the sways, even that f exhaust i saw on someone's signature. I favor OEM when dealing with Toyota so would likely keep it that way.

I'm going to be too busy with my new job to do the swap myself so I'm leaving it with a shop in Atlanta, I'll probably just start sending them money to source parts and hope it will be done within a few months. Top quality work they do so I'm not worried about the wait, plus when I get one of these I may even forget about the 4Runner...for a few days.
Old 06-14-10, 06:18 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've never heard of a Lexus Manual V8 and that vehicle never offered a V8. There may be some very expensive unexpected modifications needed. You may be better off with a supercharged 3.4/4.0 V6.

The IS350 is the perfect blend of performance, luxury and reliability. If you are buying a used one, you may want to get a 2007+ model because you can control the nannies with a push of a button.

Koz
Old 06-14-10, 06:41 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

IS350 is definitely worth it dude. Once u start modding, u will not stop lol CL will definitely be one of ur top webs..2IS owners here have sick mods almost everyday so u'd probably be excited to check out CL everyday and showing off ur 2IS too
Old 06-14-10, 06:42 AM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

The engine is a 2uz-fe from the old LX, the transmission is going to be gutted and refitted. Thanks for the warnings but I'm usually golden on all things Toyota and my friends heading the build are even more so. My buddy out west swapped his 1uz Supra engine in, and besides going through gears like toilet paper he was perfect (he's since rectified the gear problem). They are by no means plug and play but very feasible nonetheless.

I am looking at a 2008 right now actually. Either way I'd like to stay in later years so thanks for the advice. I'm going down to Savannah to look at them later this week, I'd like to take one for the day so I'll see what they will offer. When I was looking at 08-09 4Runners they offered to let me keep it overnight if I left mine with them. Mind detailing a little what you meant by controlling the nannies?

Originally Posted by ijulmimi
IS350 is definitely worth it dude. Once u start modding, u will not stop lol CL will definitely be one of ur top webs..2IS owners here have sick mods almost everyday so u'd probably be excited to check out CL everyday and showing off ur 2IS too
Haha that's why I'll be hesitant to mod. I bought that 4Runner bone stock, all it took was adding a bumper and cb radio and I was donezo, now 16k invested over the last 4 years and another 12k in this year alone I'd imagine. Already can't stay off the site I can't imagine what's going to happen when I pick one up

Last edited by MillerPKA; 06-14-10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-14-10, 06:53 AM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

lol just go for visual mods should be satisfying enough dude. lower it, wheels, kit, tint..i think that'll be enough
Old 06-14-10, 07:19 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice 4Runner! I came from a '93 4Runner that i loved before i got my IS250. I wish i still had it! As slow as it was, it was fun to drive for some reason, and i can't go mudding anymore. Ha oh well! Good luck with your car hunt, IS350 would not let you down!
Old 06-14-10, 09:26 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was looking at 08-09 4Runners they offered to let me keep it overnight if I left mine with them. Mind detailing a little what you meant by controlling the nannies?
I also have a loaded V8 Limited 4Runner with the factory air suspension. What an amazing vehicle, on and off road.

Nannies - From 07 up you can turn off the traction and stabilty control with a push of the button.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Looking hard at the IS350, taking all words of advice-paragon-088a.jpg   Looking hard at the IS350, taking all words of advice-picture-005a1.jpg  
Old 06-14-10, 12:27 PM
MillerPKA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ijulmimi
lol just go for visual mods should be satisfying enough dude. lower it, wheels, kit, tint..i think that'll be enough
Yeah that's the plan, I more than likely won't mod suspension or kit as I'm a sucker for a stock Lexus but I will definitely tint probably 35% and upgrade the wheels in time.

Originally Posted by heyarms
Nice 4Runner! I came from a '93 4Runner that i loved before i got my IS250. I wish i still had it! As slow as it was, it was fun to drive for some reason, and i can't go mudding anymore. Ha oh well! Good luck with your car hunt, IS350 would not let you down!
Yeah I played with the thought of trading it in but friends and online communities reminded me of how big of a mistake that'd be so I'm keeping it. I'm going to build it up over the years and let my kids have it when I get them and all. Its definitely lowering the amount I could put down but eh whatever that's what the car allowance is for!

Originally Posted by Koz
I also have a loaded V8 Limited 4Runner with the factory air suspension. What an amazing vehicle, on and off road.

Nannies - From 07 up you can turn off the traction and stabilty control with a push of the button.

Koz
Looks good man! I was looking at 4th gens and even the 5th gen before I wandered over but I'd end up building it much like I did this one and I just don't need two of the same thing. The IS I believe would be the same intensity of a very different nature.

Quick Reply: Looking hard at the IS350, taking all words of advice