Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

LED Lighting Replacement Guide (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 01:55 PM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the last set of lights today (puddle lights) and will install tomorrow. Already installed all of the interior. Man, what a difference!

How about that light that is by your feet in the front driver side? Is there a recommended vled part for that? Is it worth it?

Thanks brociouz for your post! Would never have figured out which one's to order without it!
Old 10-18-10, 02:34 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redline201
Brociouz. i love all my led mods, the domes, puddles, parking ect. But i went with nigels led board for the trunk. It nice but i really wanna light up my trunk. Any suggestions?

and thanks for your posts. so glad i did the lighting mods. everyone comments on it
Happy to help. If you already have Nigel's LED board in the trunk, switching to V-LED high power won't make that much of a difference. I'd venture to guess the V-LED is maybe 10-20% brighter, hardly noticeable. If you want more light you can put a custom LED strip in your trunk. V-LEDs sells them, Oznium is another good place.

Originally Posted by penone
Just got the last set of lights today (puddle lights) and will install tomorrow. Already installed all of the interior. Man, what a difference!

How about that light that is by your feet in the front driver side? Is there a recommended vled part for that? Is it worth it?

Thanks brociouz for your post! Would never have figured out which one's to order without it!
The light by your feet isn't a plug and play swap. You'd have to take apart your trim and resolder on a different LED that probably wouldn't be much brighter - not worth it IMO. It's already an LED anyway, so it's not that dramatic of a chance compared to swapping out your stock filament bulbs.

Glad this guide has been helpful. =)
Old 10-22-10, 09:40 AM
intellis
Pole Position

nice. i want to change mine too.
Old 10-22-10, 11:30 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I find it impossible to remove front dome cover. I know the OP has post pics but i don't have the sunglass holder compartment and the whole cover just won't be pulled down
Old 10-23-10, 05:35 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Anyone have problems with flickering on the door/courtesy lights? I used the 1W flanks:
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p8002682.html

I tried on both my car and gf's camry and both start to flicker after maybe 30 seconds; didn't really time it. Granted, I'll rarely have the door open that long, but still...
Old 10-23-10, 06:52 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
I find it impossible to remove front dome cover. I know the OP has post pics but i don't have the sunglass holder compartment and the whole cover just won't be pulled down
Hopefully some other owner with a similar setup will be able to chime in. I've never seen a 2IS without the sunglasses holder so don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by jasoncd
Anyone have problems with flickering on the door/courtesy lights? I used the 1W flanks:
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p8002682.html

I tried on both my car and gf's camry and both start to flicker after maybe 30 seconds; didn't really time it. Granted, I'll rarely have the door open that long, but still...
Never had flickering trouble with my 2W high power flanks.
Old 10-23-10, 10:59 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I can just see the two clips that holds the whole cover but don't know how to dislodge.
Old 10-24-10, 07:39 AM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i just tap the wires to my trunk light and add a Led strip? How big of a strip do you think i need>?
Old 10-24-10, 08:51 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

For the trunk, try this one:
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p7975517.html

It's listed as 29mm long, which would be a perfect fit. I ordered the 5K version (http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p6754410.html), hoping it would be 29mm also, but it's more like 31.
For those interested in fitment, I ordered the 29mm bulb. It is definitely a better fit, but still bigger than OEM. I did not measure the lengths myself. The following photo shows the 3 bulbs. From LEFT to RIGHT:

31mm 5K 1W
29mm 6K 1W
Stock

Old 10-24-10, 10:51 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
I can just see the two clips that holds the whole cover but don't know how to dislodge.
Ask the dealership maybe.

Originally Posted by redline201
can i just tap the wires to my trunk light and add a Led strip? How big of a strip do you think i need>?
I'm sure you could. The power supplied to the trunk halogen should be sufficient to power just about any sized LED strip, so the choice is yours.

For those interested in fitment, I ordered the 29mm bulb. It is definitely a better fit, but still bigger than OEM. I did not measure the lengths myself. The following photo shows the 3 bulbs. From LEFT to RIGHT:

31mm 5K 1W
29mm 6K 1W
Stock
Thanks for the pics man! Looks like we need a 27mm festoon bulb for perfect fitment.
Old 11-01-10, 04:08 AM
Willis1550
Driver

does anyone have V-LED contact info like a phone number. I want to order but their site has been down.
Old 11-05-10, 12:34 AM
PhanK
Driver School Candidate

Default Additional 15% Off Promotion

This helpful thread really make ordering which VLED bulb so much easier.

I just ordered some and use promotion code DRIVEN for an additional 15% discount on top of the 20% off sale

One of my Honda buddy shared it with me since he knew I was look looking at VLEDS.
http://www.my8thgen.com/forums/showt...one-Crazy-Sale

Thank you!

Last edited by PhanK; 11-05-10 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-05-10, 04:46 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome write-up! Unfortunately the vled site isn't letting me check-out and many of them are sold out . I'll try again later, thanks for posting the thread though! I've bookmarked it!

Last edited by Lexitegra; 11-06-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 09:20 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaspia
This helpful thread really make ordering which VLED bulb so much easier.

Thank you!
Originally Posted by Lexitegra
Awesome write-up! Unfortunately the vled site isn't letting me check-out many of them are sold out . I'll try again later, thanks for posting the thread though! I've bookmarked it!
You're welcome guys! Hopefully V-LED can ramp up their production a bit, they always seem to be short on supply.
Old 11-05-10, 09:29 PM
Eurosport
Rookie

thanks for the great info

should be a sticky!

Quick Reply: LED Lighting Replacement Guide (w/Pics)