IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mirror Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 10:54 AM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same exact problem with the mirror not tilting all the way. I've taken it to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the problem. But I know EXACTLY what youre talking about. What i did to remedy that issue is to push the mirrors up and down for couple of times. I think it's a motor issue with the mirror not tilting fully down. Try push the passenger mirror up and down repeatedly to see if it helps. I know its not a syncing issue.

But i got to say the tilt mirror is a very useful feature that helps saving the curbing of the wheels.
Old 06-15-10, 11:18 AM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Up until a couple weeks ago when I put the car in reverse the mirrors would tilt down enough to see the rear wheels and curb. Now, they only tilt down about half of what it used to and I can not see the rear wheels.

I think what may be happening is the reference point that the system uses is not right. What I will do is put the car in reverse (With tilt switched on) and then physically move the mirror to where I can see the rear wheels. As far as the mirrors moving when I open the door, I don't have a clue. Possibly I'm not syncing the remote the right way. Hopefully I can save a trip to the Stealer.

The nav lockout is REDICULOUS!

Koz

Koz

I just called lexus dealership, they said it suppose to tilt all the way down, not half way as we are experiencing. This annoys me, cause I remember when I picked up my car like 5months ago, this feature worked. Now it is only doing half way! Good thing you posted this, cause I thought I was seeing things 5months ago when the car was brand new lol.
Old 06-15-10, 11:31 AM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been happening to me for about a year now. I'd have to manually tilt it down. Sometimes my mirrors don't fully tilt back to normal position so I'd have to manually tilt that too. I noticed that when you push the mirriors themselves up and down, it "loosens" the mirror a bit and it works normal for the time being.
Old 06-15-10, 12:51 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had the same problem since maybe a few months after I bought my car in 2007 and have so far been unable to get it fixed. I'm going to take it in next month for the third time to a recommended Service Advisor to see if we can't fix this.

At first I thought it was a novelty feature, but it came with the Sports Package that I wanted and I wasn't complaining. But it quickly became my favorite feature on the car. Since rearward visibility is poor on the IS, being able to see the road, stall markers, curbs, and all other obstacles while reversing was very helpful.

But it was short-lived. I've had the car for now going on about three years and I'd say I only had full functionality of that feature for about three months of that time. I've ruined at least three wheels so far because I'm "guessing" instead of "seeing" where the curb actually is when reversing. Of course, it's my fault for not "knowing" my car's boundaries like I did on previous vehicles--but this one is supposed to be equipped with a feature to help me in that department and it is not helping me at all.

Typically I'll have one mirror go down about 60% of what it used to while the other will not move at all. I can see lower on the road, but I can't see the stall markers or curbs--and only on one side of the car. Where I park right now, it is even more frustrating because the stalls are rather small and I'm guessing where the lines are rather than seeing them.

It seemed that the mirrors were returning to the wrong position when the car was put back in Drive. On a number of occasions while driving on the street, I'd notice that one or both mirrors was not giving me the right view, but something way off the road. That can be dangerous at times when I'm counting on my mirrors being in the right place. I've had to adjust on the fly just to be able to see behind me while driving at highway speeds. I don't expect to have to check to see if my mirrors are correct every time I drive off.

For a while I thought that the mirrors were merely just resetting "too high". I tried creating the preset for the mirrors a little lower, so there wouldn't be as much travel for the rear-tilt feature. It seemed to work for about a week, and then the other mirror started going down only halfway. Now, I'm back to the random hopefully-one-of-my-mirrors-will-work-when-parking or shifting R-D-R in hopes that a mirror will let me see enough to park properly. Usually it's only one mirror that gives me a partial view of the parking space.

I remember how easy this car used to be to park when I could see the ground on both sides...
Old 11-13-10, 03:23 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
For a while I thought that the mirrors were merely just resetting "too high". I tried creating the preset for the mirrors a little lower, so there wouldn't be as much travel for the rear-tilt feature. It seemed to work for about a week, and then the other mirror started going down only halfway. Now, I'm back to the random hopefully-one-of-my-mirrors-will-work-when-parking or shifting R-D-R in hopes that a mirror will let me see enough to park properly. Usually it's only one mirror that gives me a partial view of the parking space.

I remember how easy this car used to be to park when I could see the ground on both sides...
I've also noticed that my mirrors are resetting "too-high". It seems that no amount of memory and syncing with keyfob will get them to remember that right location. Is there same combo way of resetting or re-calibrating the motor in the mirror?
Old 11-13-10, 03:58 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
I've also noticed that my mirrors are resetting "too-high". It seems that no amount of memory and syncing with keyfob will get them to remember that right location. Is there same combo way of resetting or re-calibrating the motor in the mirror?
It's probably the motor or actuator that has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Despite that fact that the dealership replaced a lot (and I mean A LOT) of things for me this last trip, I still didn't "fail" the tilting mirror test yet.

I've basically given up on the feature and have disabled it. If they ever fail completely and regularly, I will get them replaced.