IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 VS. Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 05:32 PM
holyking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
I let some 16 year old in some decade(s) old BMW 318 that does 0 to 60 in approximately 12 seconds beat my IS350 purposefully, once, because I found it to be hilarious.

At a stoplight, he and his friend initiated the conversation with me, asking if my car was fast, to which I replied "No."

In response, he agreed saying something along the lines of "Yeah man I hear ya that's why I got the beemer. Lexus builds slow cars but yours looks pretty sweet"

Yes, he referred to his car as a "beemer." It was a 39847987 year old stock BMW 318. I asked him for the year (so I could look up the specs later). It does 0 to 60 in about 11 seconds, making it about as quick as a honda civic in this day and age.

He asked me if I wanted to test out my car against his, to which I chuckled and said "ahhh sure, but don't expect much"

Light turns green, I give about 1/50 - 1/100 throttle and watch as this guy's friend is cheering him on because I place him about half a car length ahead of me.

The reason I did not let him get, say, 2 or 3 car lengths ahead was because I wanted to be close enough to see their reactions (while still losing).

It's really funny, if you guys ever get into that sort of scenario, try it out. Unfortunately, the odds of something like this happening are astronomically low. You need the "too fast too furious" kid...in his 11 second car (to 60)...who also possesses a vast ignorance as to what cars in this day and age can do. You just don't meet people like that everyday. This kid was 16 (possibly younger? maybe even 15 or 14 driving without a license). Hell, they are virtually pre-pubescent.

Most kids these days seem to have a good sense about what their cars can do relative to other cars. And the vast majority of the ones who race tend to race in cars that are respectably quick.

If you do get into this situation, remember to put your car into ECT SNOW. It's easier to lose a race that way. The 1st gear in the IS350 is kind of lively if you accidentally give it too much throttle to start.

Anyways, he won and I never saw him again, I was off to the movies (left turn). The end.
+1 ^^ i agree, just drive your own style. there alway a another faster car ! I personally doesn't like to drive fast in a empty road. no point!
Old 06-20-10, 05:54 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Hey, I liked the IS350, and I like the G as well. I don't think I'll be buying another Lexus anytime soon, but that's just my personal preference.

My comment wasn't about the speed of either car. It was meant to show what a bunch of jerk-offs people can sound like when they sit around slamming a cheaper car and patting themselves on the back.

YMMV.
I wasn't slamming the "cheaper car"......I wanted to know if I would have been able to beat her if it were a fair race. Its not my fault that the car looks like a POS. Regardless of price, if a car is ugly, it is ugly. Stating the obvious has nothing to do with insecurities. The IS looks waayy better than the G37s sedan, thats why I bought my car instead when I was comparing the two prior to my purchase; and it just so happens that WE are faster as well, hence my decision. And the only "Jerk-Off" that is posting dumb comments is you. So if your not going to post something related to how fast the Cobalt SS is, or lap times VS the other, then I would appreciate it if you take your posts elsewhere.

Thank You.
Old 06-21-10, 04:37 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cupid0210
I wasn't slamming the "cheaper car"......I wanted to know if I would have been able to beat her if it were a fair race. Its not my fault that the car looks like a POS. Regardless of price, if a car is ugly, it is ugly. Stating the obvious has nothing to do with insecurities. The IS looks waayy better than the G37s sedan, thats why I bought my car instead when I was comparing the two prior to my purchase; and it just so happens that WE are faster as well, hence my decision. And the only "Jerk-Off" that is posting dumb comments is you. So if your not going to post something related to how fast the Cobalt SS is, or lap times VS the other, then I would appreciate it if you take your posts elsewhere.

Thank You.
I agree 100%, only a "Jerk-off" would get that out of any of these posts!

Koz