IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 VS. Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 09:58 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS350 VS. Cobalt SS

Was driving on some back streets (kinda country) when some young chick in a Cobalt SS drove past revving her engine at me. So upon trying to even out with her to race, she just took off, so I immediately step on the gas but couldnt get past her. If it were a fair race, would she have won anyways? I didnt know those little cars were so damn fast! She was like half a car in front of me, and before I could ask her to give me a fair race, she turned off of the road. Just wanting to know for FYI.
Old 06-18-10, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

IIRC the Cobalt SS runs a 0-60 in the mid 5's for the turbo version (supercharged was a tad slower). They're also decently light. Spartan, but light. Off the line you'd definitely get the best of the FWD SS + our amazing first gear. From a roll, I'd still expect the 350 to come out on top since it pulls pretty well on the high end too. Like you said it wasn't much of a race more like trying to play catch-up

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-18-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 10:08 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

cobalt ss..supercharged get its to like 200hp 200lb trq i think...haha if she already took off and was floored and already had a 3-4 car lead and u didnt know she was racing you lmao..you woulda prolly passed her at 100mph+ however heads up total rapage unless she had a diff pulley with more psi on the supercharger(u still woulda beat her). this is just for your heads up. in my honest opinion..enjoy what you have, dont waste your time/gas on things like that..let them be jealous and envy as you cruise in style 'cuz its not worth the risk (racing)..keep things related on the track
Old 06-18-10, 10:08 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Well her car didnt sound stock, it was quite loud, but the only reason I was going to race her was because there was no one on the road and she just kept revving me....I thought she was gonna do three beeps or something, but she just took off and it was one of those back ways. It is just buggin the hell out of me right now because she slowed down to give me the look of "I Won" before she turned off of the road when I didnt even get a fair race... But oh well, its whatever...

Last edited by cupid0210; 06-18-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 10:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cupid0210
Well her car didnt sound stock, it was quite loud, but the only reason I was going to race her was because there was no one on the road and she just kept revving me....I thought she was gonna do three beeps or something, but she just took off and it was one of those back ways. It is just buggin the hell out of me right now because she slowed down to give me the look of "I Won" before she turned off of the road when I didnt even get a fair race... But oh well, its whatever...
The turbo puts out 260hp I think. Anyway, those car's are easy to tune so it is quite possible she had some bolt-ons and other goodies.

It's very hard to read a driver, you can only predict, and even then they'll surprise you.

You know how it went down. If she wants to add a tally marker to her "win" column whatever. At the end of the day Lexus > Chevy any day
Old 06-18-10, 11:57 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I let some 16 year old in some decade(s) old BMW 318 that does 0 to 60 in approximately 12 seconds beat my IS350 purposefully, once, because I found it to be hilarious.

At a stoplight, he and his friend initiated the conversation with me, asking if my car was fast, to which I replied "No."

In response, he agreed saying something along the lines of "Yeah man I hear ya that's why I got the beemer. Lexus builds slow cars but yours looks pretty sweet"

Yes, he referred to his car as a "beemer." It was a 39847987 year old stock BMW 318. I asked him for the year (so I could look up the specs later). It does 0 to 60 in about 11 seconds, making it about as quick as a honda civic in this day and age.

He asked me if I wanted to test out my car against his, to which I chuckled and said "ahhh sure, but don't expect much"

Light turns green, I give about 1/50 - 1/100 throttle and watch as this guy's friend is cheering him on because I place him about half a car length ahead of me.

The reason I did not let him get, say, 2 or 3 car lengths ahead was because I wanted to be close enough to see their reactions (while still losing).

It's really funny, if you guys ever get into that sort of scenario, try it out. Unfortunately, the odds of something like this happening are astronomically low. You need the "too fast too furious" kid...in his 11 second car (to 60)...who also possesses a vast ignorance as to what cars in this day and age can do. You just don't meet people like that everyday. This kid was 16 (possibly younger? maybe even 15 or 14 driving without a license). Hell, they are virtually pre-pubescent.

Most kids these days seem to have a good sense about what their cars can do relative to other cars. And the vast majority of the ones who race tend to race in cars that are respectably quick.

If you do get into this situation, remember to put your car into ECT SNOW. It's easier to lose a race that way. The 1st gear in the IS350 is kind of lively if you accidentally give it too much throttle to start.

Anyways, he won and I never saw him again, I was off to the movies (left turn). The end.
Old 06-19-10, 12:06 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

+1, i absolutely hate it when cars want to mess around but they don't let you get side by side and do the 3 honks, instead they stay all the way up front and just floor it and turn on their stupid emergency lights signaling that they won..

it definitely makes you feel like you lost in a way,
but just be happy in the end lol,
cuz 99% of cars that do that,
end up being Honda's :P
so just let them feel like they have quick cars for a bit
haha

And to be honest, ive done that once...
but thats because i had a mean EVO X on my ***.
lol
Old 06-19-10, 12:09 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually egg them on... give them the false impression that I'm all into it. Then when they jump on it... I just let them win. Their facial expression of a let down is priceless. It's like someone punching you in the face right when you are about to have an orgasm. After all, we're all mature and don't won't to spoil the kids by letting them have their way.
Old 06-19-10, 12:09 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way to the OP, your story sounds a lot like this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...3-v-gs430.html

that involved a GS430 and a 2009 BMW M3, with the roles reversed. The GS430 presumably jumped the gun, and the M3 went WOT some time afterwards and was not able to catch up.

Would you consider that a win for the GS430? Sure, if you want, but the guy in the M3 is still driving the M3.

Same scenario here.
Old 06-19-10, 02:29 AM
djjoshs
Driver School Candidate

This is my first post here and thought it was funny this thread came up i auctually had somthing similar happen last week. i was driving at night and the ss came up and was trying to "toy" with me by getting on my side and speeding up and slowing down and so forth. We then met at the following light and i could hear his engine which sounded like it had some mods. and i had 2 other people in the car with me and he was by himself which i was a bit worried about to be honest haha. Anyways as the light turned green and I was late on the gas and he had a rolling start but we took off and i ended up beating him by about 2 car lengths he made a last second turn onto the freeway so he didnt have to face me at the next light . thats my estimate on the distance. but i would say that we will give that car a spanking and dont worry bout some girl who is trying to act cute in her chevy.
Old 06-19-10, 07:38 AM
sigteacher
Driver

Was driving on some back streets (kinda country) when some young chick in a Cobalt SS drove past revving her engine at me. So upon trying to even out with her to race, she just took off, so I immediately step on the gas but couldnt get past her. If it were a fair race, would she have won anyways? I didnt know those little cars were so damn fast! She was like half a car in front of me, and before I could ask her to give me a fair race, she turned off of the road. Just wanting to know for FYI.

Who cares if you lost the race. She has to bear the burden of driving one of the most hideous cars ever designed
Old 06-19-10, 07:46 AM
RED95sc
Pole Position

well like all4sho said, its a waste of time. i worked for lexus, and there is no way from a dig, or roll a cobalt SS will beat a is350, unless it has a good bit of mods, and even then it would probably be a close one. and then she wouldnt slow down to give you a fair race. but it is funny to see people drive those cars around like they're doing something, the car is ugly!!!
Old 06-19-10, 09:12 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
+1, i absolutely hate it when cars want to mess around but they don't let you get side by side and do the 3 honks, instead they stay all the way up front and just floor it and turn on their stupid emergency lights signaling that they won..

it definitely makes you feel like you lost in a way,
but just be happy in the end lol,
cuz 99% of cars that do that,
end up being Honda's :P
so just let them feel like they have quick cars for a bit
haha

And to be honest, ive done that once...
but thats because i had a mean EVO X on my ***.
lol
lol,I just felt like there was no way she would have won and I wanted to show her that, but in the end.....Im the one that has the Lexus. haha

Originally Posted by shadowman
I usually egg them on... give them the false impression that I'm all into it. Then when they jump on it... I just let them win. Their facial expression of a let down is priceless. It's like someone punching you in the face right when you are about to have an orgasm. After all, we're all mature and don't won't to spoil the kids by letting them have their way.
Thats actually a good idea. lol never tried that before.
Originally Posted by carLx
By the way to the OP, your story sounds a lot like this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...3-v-gs430.html

that involved a GS430 and a 2009 BMW M3, with the roles reversed. The GS430 presumably jumped the gun, and the M3 went WOT some time afterwards and was not able to catch up.

Would you consider that a win for the GS430? Sure, if you want, but the guy in the M3 is still driving the M3.

Same scenario here.
Yeah, totally true.
Originally Posted by djjoshs
This is my first post here and thought it was funny this thread came up i auctually had somthing similar happen last week. i was driving at night and the ss came up and was trying to "toy" with me by getting on my side and speeding up and slowing down and so forth. We then met at the following light and i could hear his engine which sounded like it had some mods. and i had 2 other people in the car with me and he was by himself which i was a bit worried about to be honest haha. Anyways as the light turned green and I was late on the gas and he had a rolling start but we took off and i ended up beating him by about 2 car lengths he made a last second turn onto the freeway so he didnt have to face me at the next light . thats my estimate on the distance. but i would say that we will give that car a spanking and dont worry bout some girl who is trying to act cute in her chevy.
Well thats good to know, maybe I will see her again another night and just dust her ***. lol
Originally Posted by sigteacher
Who cares if you lost the race. She has to bear the burden of driving one of the most hideous cars ever designed
hahahaha, the car WAS pretty darn ugly. lol
Originally Posted by RED95sc
well like all4sho said, its a waste of time. i worked for lexus, and there is no way from a dig, or roll a cobalt SS will beat a is350, unless it has a good bit of mods, and even then it would probably be a close one. and then she wouldnt slow down to give you a fair race. but it is funny to see people drive those cars around like they're doing something, the car is ugly!!!
hahaha, thats good to know. The satisfaction on her face did annoy me though, but in the end I have the nicer car.
Old 06-19-10, 02:23 PM
pigeon83
Rookie

It only beat you because you must have either been in the wrong gear or didn't step on the gas hard enough.
Old 06-19-10, 04:10 PM
k2sty1
Pole Position

damn this makes me want a IS350!!!
bring them to australia, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol

no point racing my IS250, not fast enough, but with other P Platers (provisional license, car has to be under 200KW, no turbo, no spuercharger)
my IS250 is pretty fast compared to some P plate cars, but the fastest ones are the RX-8, Civic Type R and some Holdens and Fords (but they cant turn corners anyway)

last week, this old '80's Civic rolled up next to me, pumping music and staring me down, i just floored it when the lights turned green (the road lead to a highway, and it was 2am in the morning, so no cars), and beat it by atleast 2-3 car lengths
my friend timed my 0-100 then aswell, 7.6 seconds, pretty damn good with +1 person and not so new tires + full tank

IS250 is surprisingly fast, but still cant wait till i get my hands on a IS350 soon!!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 VS. Cobalt SS