Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and i love my expensive toyota.
Old 06-21-10, 02:15 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS250Kevin
to be honest it's just envy. obviously a kid in high school didn't pay for the car himself, if there's mods most likely his parents are paying for it one way or another (remember getting "allowances"?). it's not hate being thrown your way it's more like a wtf.

Agree... They're just jealous that your parents bought you a nice car at such a young age. Most of them will think "spoiled brat..."

If you think that's bad... can you imagine what kind of responses a kid will get when he drives around in a Ferrari.
Old 06-21-10, 02:26 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

My parents bought me a Scion tC when I was 16 for me to drive (didn't want me taking their Infiniti). After a couple internships and a few jobs (and a totalled tC), I was able to save up enough for an IS250 right before I turned 21 last November. Yes, I do admit to being a bit spoiled, as I did get a new car when I was 16, but in my defense, my parents used the car as an excuse to not get me any birthday or Christmas presents from then on. And I babied and loved that car for its whole lifespan.

People give me weird looks in my Lexus a lot, but it's not really that ridiculous that a kid drives a (relatively) expensive car, seeing as my campus is full of people who drive brand new STI's, EVO's, or M3s. Not to mention I see a bunch of kids in 335is all the time.
I'm actually surprised people even give me stares, because especially in SJ, where you see a new 3Series or C class every couple blocks.
Old 06-21-10, 02:36 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I can totally relate to the hate. I work at an accounting firm in Calgary and I get hated on tons for my wheels. I finished my Bachelor degree last year and I'm 23, articling for my CA (professional accountant). People love to hate because of jealousy. Mind you, I'm actually paying for mine. I worked through university to be able to throw down a couple bucks for a nice car as a graduation present (FROM UNIVERSITY, not HS [lol, jokes]). Lots of professionals don't drive the nicest cars, kids and life are expensive. I got lots of help from my folks too who paid for my studies and benders to Europe with buddies and all that, so some hate is deserved I suppose.

The important thing is to not hate back, take the hate. People get jealous, but lots of people come from different walks of life. Lexus is an exclusive brand that lots of people will never get to enjoy. The hate is jealousy, take it as a compliment boys (& girls?). Look at that, effing life lessons here haha.
Old 06-21-10, 02:40 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by initial_k
lol yeah, pretty much. An expensive toyota.
Originally Posted by mv350
and i love my expensive toyota.

Old 06-21-10, 03:30 PM
DevJ
Driver

People hated me when I had my IS350 in high school. People hated me even more when I got my E92 M3 my senior year. Did I care? Nope. Most of them were my friends
Old 06-21-10, 03:38 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

I just act modest and upfront about it. I go "My parents did buy it for me, but only because I work hard in school and one of my only simple pleasure lately is driving to and from school; the rest of the time I am studying." It gets better when you go into college. High school students are so... *facepalm* I was lucky enough to go to a school in an affluent area where many kids drove nice cars, so I wasn't ever singled out.

I just omit that I have both an IS300 and IS350... S--t hits the fan when they find that out. :\
Old 06-21-10, 04:26 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

I really don't understand how your comment. The 2IS is at least sporty and small so it will be more appealing to the younger crowd. However, since you live out of the country it could be a culture thing LOL. I see many 2IS's, 3 series, C Classes here in many high schools in the states. However if you rolled up in a LS460 then I you would def get the same reactions here. "did you drive your dads car today?"
Old 06-21-10, 04:50 PM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

I never drove the IS when I first got it. To school, I'd only drive the family's Tahoe in case anyone would hate! Last year in college, I didn't even bring my car b/c it isn't absolutely necessary... This year, I'm not sure if I'm bringing it down either b/c the roads are crap over there... But yeah, I don't really get many hateful stares when I drive around here b/c there are kids who drive Mercedes SL AMG's, Porsche's, BMW M3's, and Corvette's to high school...
Old 06-21-10, 07:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Bought the car when I was 22 after 4 years of saving up. For the most part I kept under the radar save for a few encounters with haters. Getting more and more stares with these wheels

Haters keep on hating
Old 06-21-10, 07:24 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

i have people messing with my car all the time. But they are probably my friends doing it. Like they would fold my mirrors and cover my rear camera, or put my windshield wipers up.

But hey, who cares, you have a nice car.
Old 06-21-10, 07:42 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

even at work place, same thing. I never tell anyone what I drive. one day, a girl at work saw my car, she freaked, was like OMG that's your car, blah blah blah.....and as someone mentioned, a lot of people thinks Lexus are really expensive, someone once asked me if i paid 80K for the car
Old 06-21-10, 07:50 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

my homie drives a c63 amg. he got it wen he was 18 though not 17 and he said the same thing u said so ur not the only one!
Old 06-21-10, 08:18 PM
warmcaram3
Rookie

Yes negativity is everywhere so you'll just have to learn to deal with it. I refrain from even talking about my car at work, but people still like to talk about it for me lol. Yesss people will hate because they envy you and want what you have. If it helps, just turn it around and talk about how economical their car is and that they are fortunate to not have to deal with premium gas and high maintenance cost
Old 06-21-10, 08:24 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9relude8
I really don't understand how your comment. The 2IS is at least sporty and small so it will be more appealing to the younger crowd. However, since you live out of the country it could be a culture thing LOL. I see many 2IS's, 3 series, C Classes here in many high schools in the states. However if you rolled up in a LS460 then I you would def get the same reactions here. "did you drive your dads car today?"
Originally Posted by shadowman
Agree... They're just jealous that your parents bought you a nice car at such a young age. Most of them will think "spoiled brat..."

If you think that's bad... can you imagine what kind of responses a kid will get when he drives around in a Ferrari.
Originally Posted by karasha
I just act modest and upfront about it. I go "My parents did buy it for me, but only because I work hard in school and one of my only simple pleasure lately is driving to and from school; the rest of the time I am studying." It gets better when you go into college. High school students are so... *facepalm* I was lucky enough to go to a school in an affluent area where many kids drove nice cars, so I wasn't ever singled out.

I just omit that I have both an IS300 and IS350... S--t hits the fan when they find that out. :\

Yep, all of these apply to me.

My father gave me an IS350 at the tender age of 21 (I am 22 right now). Paid full in cash, he pays for my insurance in full. He also has a 2006 Ferrari F430 that I have had the pleasure of driving 3 times in my life to college (I went to college in my hometown, and I commuted from home all 4 years of my undergrad). He also has a 2007 LS460 that he drives on a more daily basis, which I have also had the pleasure of driving to school a few times as well.

To me, though, "spoiled" has such a negative connotation, and I think the term is thrown around too much. Spoiled, to me, is when a child who is very privileged feels:

1) entitled to those privileges
2) superior to his or her peers due to the privileges that he or she enjoys

or some combination of 1 and 2

I think it's entirely possible to be extremely privileged, but not "spoiled" in the negative sense.

I never asked or beg for a brand new IS350. When I was 16, my father told me straight up "I'm giving you a budget of $15,000 for your first car, choose something, but it has to be new, not used." So, I chose a brand new base honda civic value package that I drove during high school. 2 weeks later, I hit a curb going 40 MPH on a narrow street and dinged up my driver side mirror. It was at that point that I understood why my father had me choose from essentially a new civic or corolla (If I wanted) or whatever the entry level Hyundai/Kias are called.

Then, my brother turns 16 and he needs a car, what does he get? He gets my old honda civic, and my dad straight up tells me "You have a budget of ~$50,000 choose something" (Obviously not in such a robotic and nonchalant way, but you get the point). And, when my brother turns 21 or 22 (becomes a little bit more mature and responsible), he'll also get that sort of budget and he'll be allowed to purchase something nice. I purchased a BMW 335i coupe initially. Had countless fuel pump failures, which forced me into a position to sell it back and pick up a more reliable vehicle, hence I ultimately ended up with a 2009 IS350.

I never begged for these privileges, they were offered to me and I am eternally grateful for them. My undergraduate experience was paid, in full, by my dad. My medical school is paid, in full, by my dad. I will graduate medical school with $0 in loans. I have the privilege of eating out wherever I want, however often I want. I travel to Vegas (alone, though, I have virtually no friends ) at least 4 times a year on random weekends. It's probably the understatement of the century, in my eyes, to just nonchalantly say that I absolutely love my life.

But, I don't brag about any of this to my friends. First off, I don't even have many friends, I tend to keep to myself. I have literally 2 friends total. For the most part, I'm cooped up in a library all day long studying 75% of the time and browsing clublexus and ferrarichat the other 25%. The two friends that I had are still my very dear friends, but they have graduated and we don't really have the chance to see each other that often anymore, as we are not on the same campus. One of them is working, the other is in graduate school halfway across the country from me.

I fully recognize that on a "superiority scale" I'm almost certainly several notches lower than the middle class kid to my right driving a Ford Focus who works part time to fund his college education. I fully admit that, I have great respect for these people. I'd never even begin to consider myself "superior" than any of these people because I did not work for any of my financial privileges, so in that regard, I would hope that sort of mentality would be sufficient to warrant avoiding the "spoiled" moniker.

I think the best way to approach this sort of situation is to never bring attention to any of it. For example, when I got my 335i and (later), IS350, I didn't tell my friends about it at all. The few times I see them on campus and hang out with them, I typically just walk over to their apartment/dorm and we'll play Call of Duty or Halo or something like that and then get a bite to eat later on, or we'll travel by bus downtown if we want to do the bar/club hopping.

One random day when I had to get something from my car, they saw my IS350 and pretty much did the "Holy *** you luck son of a ***** why didn't you tell us you drive a Lexus?"

"Yes, Yeah, it's no big deal" Laugh it off, it's better that way.

And then one other time, I invited them over to my house to swim and play some CoD and spend the night (Yeah, sleepovers at the age of 21, I don't know if that's normal nor do I care, I think they are fun ) and got the whole "Dude you never told me you lived in a mansion wtf!!" speech.

Point is I never brought it up (at all) even in passing conversation once I got to know them pretty well. First time I met them both, it was just "Oh cool you're here to play Halo with us, join in" as part of this after class video game get together that happened regularly on campus.

As long as you don't feel entitled to the car, and you're not "spoiled" in my book.

Well, I hope you all had fun peeking into the life of carLx. I'm sure there was a point, or some words of wisdom, buried somewhere in that wall of text.

The only time I've had a dose of "haterade" (for lack of a better term) with respect to my car was a few weeks/months ago when some drug addict hobo (probably - at least according to the manager of the restaurant I was at) broke into my IS350 and stole my backpack with a book worth $100 that he'll never sell.

Quick Reply: to all young lexus owners!!