IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is 250 manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 04:36 AM
mchotdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 250 manual

Hey can anyone tell me how much an 2009 is 250 manual is worth? Is 250 stick really hard to find nowadays? Is it collection worthy?
Old 06-21-10, 06:38 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

There are free appraisal tools on websites like Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. Obviously the value depends on things like the number of miles you've driven, the condition of the car, the options you have and the geographic area where you live.

Despite the fact that manual transmissions IS250s are not as common, I think you'll find that they have a somewhat lower resale value than similar IS250s with the automatic.
Old 06-21-10, 09:03 AM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not worth it.. you are BETTER off with the auto is250.
Old 06-21-10, 10:39 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

I disagree. Despite all the negative things people say about the MT I love mine. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that have had no problems with it at all.
Old 06-21-10, 11:08 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

it is fun to drive
Old 06-21-10, 11:56 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

i heard it has the transmission from a truck??
do you want to drive a truck?
lol
Old 06-21-10, 12:07 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

As under powered as the 250 is the MT helps A LOT. Might not be any faster but it feels faster and it a hell of a lot funner to drive. If the IS350 was priced like you guys in the US I would have gotten a 350.
Old 06-21-10, 12:13 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO...it is fun to drive, which is why I prefer a stick over an automatic (2 other Hondas in my garage are also stick).

But the downside to the Lexus is the noisy clutch assembly. Do a search and you'll find that the flywheel is a two piece design that causes this. If you can get used to the little extra rattles (which is common), the MT IS250 is great fun!

If you don't like the noise, you can fix it with a flywheel by Fidanza that should eliminate the rattles.

I purchased the vehicle and it seemed like the MT was about $1-2k lower than the AT version. This may be due to the lack of interest with a MT Lexus and it was sitting on the lot for a while.

Good luck with finding your new IS....either way.
Old 06-21-10, 01:06 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
its not worth it.. you are BETTER off with the auto is250.
I dont agree. Ive test driven the manual IS and its great. Remember half a people here wouldnt even know how to use a clutch, thats why everybody goes for A/T.
Old 06-21-10, 01:27 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun to drive. It is sad people these days are becoming unfamiliar with manual trans.

"Why is there 3 pedals?"

Yes I know the resale value is lower and it is hard to sell it. But I thought we buy the car to enjoy it. That's what happened to my previous car. I bought accord AT thinking of the resale value. But I didn't enjoy it. I wanted to get rid of it so bad and got IS250MT. One of the best decisions I've ever made.
Old 06-21-10, 02:20 PM
sahara78
Driver

you can utilize the MT for what it feels like a lot more torque power than the AT, my ex-gf had a AT AWD 250 and I have a MT. I drove both and MT is soooo much more fun to drive than the AT. AT drove kind of like a Camry (no offense to any AT owners.).
Old 06-21-10, 02:34 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es808
IMO...it is fun to drive, which is why I prefer a stick over an automatic (2 other Hondas in my garage are also stick).

But the downside to the Lexus is the noisy clutch assembly. Do a search and you'll find that the flywheel is a two piece design that causes this. If you can get used to the little extra rattles (which is common), the MT IS250 is great fun!

If you don't like the noise, you can fix it with a flywheel by Fidanza that should eliminate the rattles.

I purchased the vehicle and it seemed like the MT was about $1-2k lower than the AT version. This may be due to the lack of interest with a MT Lexus and it was sitting on the lot for a while.

Good luck with finding your new IS....either way.

When I bought my car, most IS250s were floating around the 23k no navigation. I managed to find my MRM 6MT for 21k, but I waited out a few weeks, and jumped on it when the dealer lowered the asking price to 20k. Ended up getting the car for 9.5k, which was vastly lower than the market price for an auto IS250. The IS250 is NOT a performance car anyways, an auto IS doesn't exactly feel fast either. I see nothing super wrong with my MT; it's not the greatest manual I've driven, but it's far from the worse.
Old 09-06-10, 10:40 AM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

I've had my IS250 6-sp manual for almost a year now. I'm FINALLY STARTING to get used to that noisy noisy noisy cheap sounding cheap feeling clutch/flywheel assembly. If you can get past that noisy and non-linear clutch, and like the peaky torque curve of the engine, it can be pretty fun to drive. Now that I've taken the sales tax hit and the depreciation hit on it, I'm going to keep it for at least a few more years. But if I had a time machine, I'd go back and buy a 3-series BMW or even an Acura TSX (yes, even tho its 4-cyl and FWD) ... I mostly bought the car to get a manual tranny daily driver, and the manual in this car, while not the worst thing ever, is a pretty big disappointment. Maybe I'm a tough grader because my other car is first-gen Miata, which has one of the best clutch/flywheel/gear ratio/shifter combinations in automotive history.

Hey, another thought, do you guys find it easy to heel-toe downshift the IS? I find the pedal spacing all wrong, and the gas pedal is too close to the transmission tunnel, so when I angle my foot over to blip the gas, I often hit the tunnel instead. I also find that the HEAVY flywheel makes it difficult for me to get the revs quickly to where I want them .... I can heal-toe the Miata perfectly in my sleep.

Bottom line, just my opinion, the IS-250 Manual is a disappointment, and a huge lost opportunity for Lexus to prove it can build a world-class sports sedan.
Old 09-06-10, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
i heard it has the transmission from a truck??
do you want to drive a truck?
lol
Yes, from the Tacoma.

To the OP, if you get and manual, opt for upgrading to F-Sport quickshifter and clutch
Old 09-06-10, 01:16 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

I'm one to not think of resale value on a car. It would ruin my experience with the car. I have stocks for resale value=]

Quick Reply: is 250 manual