IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting help Please! Drls, parking lights, city lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10 | 05:51 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

I've got the V-LEDs on a 12v relay. look at sig for pics but pm if you want more pics.
Old 06-21-10 | 05:58 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CLIS250
i currently have the same 6k lows and fogs. i changed my drl to luminic hyper yellow bulbs. they look great with my independent 6k fogs. i also changed the city light instead of that ugly yellow bulb with the lows are on to super white PIAA bulbs. if you would like i can post pics tonight or something. the city lights dont really show during the day. i regret putting $20 into it. i should have just ran it with no bulb instead. but at night you can see that little white bulb instead of the yellow right next to the lows. let me know how things work out.
Luminics Yellow DRL Bulbs. Dont currently have a picture of the PIAA city light bulbs but you get the point.

Old 06-21-10 | 06:10 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
yep~ not to mention you better check your local laws about having blue lights/bulbs on your car, here in hawaii only cops can run blue~ EVEN parked with the lights off, if they see blue bulbs we can get ticketed...

yup, my buddy got a ticket for just having 8k low beams. but research some more before buying things that will get you in trouble.
Old 06-21-10 | 06:12 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by new.era.13
even with it being that blue, it will still have a yellow color since its only at 30% power.
ahhh u got to be kidding me...woman said she garunteed it...ill just have to wait and see for myself to the color i was scared of it being too blue lol looks like i was wrong.

and it says its street legal so i guess its ok?

thanks to the other guy that posted the pic looks nice but not what im looking for
Old 06-21-10 | 06:19 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

ill post up a picture of my drls. im running nokya artic white. but they are still yellow.
Old 06-21-10 | 06:24 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

ill post up a picture of my drls. im running nokya artic white. but they are still yellow.
i thought you said that you had some blue coated bulbs on ur high beams/drls?
Old 06-21-10 | 06:44 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

they are blue, but they are called artic white. since the drl runs on 30% power, it turns out to be yellow. no matter what color you put as your drl/high beams, the drl is going to be yellow, only if you put in led. They have to have full power to look blue.
Old 06-21-10 | 06:47 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

they are blue, but they are called artic white. since the drl runs on 30% power, it turns out to be yellow. no matter what color you put as your drl/high beams, the drl is going to be yellow, only if you put in led. They have to have full power to look blue.
ughh thats lame but i think mine is suppose to be very blue and the woman was extremely confident it wouldnt b yellow soo i hope shes right. Should i replace the city light too? i dont really get what it is... does it make a big difference? i just want it so when im driving all my lights are white. is the city light too little to notice?
Old 06-21-10 | 06:50 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

change the city lights to match the low beams, because they come on with the low beams.

this is a thread i posted of my lights. Before i changed my city lights and high beams

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...test-mods.html
Old 06-21-10 | 11:22 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

As others here are saying, you will NOT find a 9005 bulb replacement that will appear pure white (5000K+) because it runs at 30%. End of story. I tried Silverstar Ultras and it failed: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-lights.html.

You have 3 options:
1. Replace your high beam/DRL/9005 with an LED replacement. Your DRL's will look sick, but you will effectively lose your high beam functionality. Your LED DRL's will come on when you hit your high beam, but it will not give you any usable light.
2. Have the dealer turn your DRL functionality off. You can swap the 9005 for a Silverstar Ultra bulb to give you extra brightness (as I did), but don't do it for color. It will never match your 6000K HIDs. You can get a brighter parking light to serve as a really faint DRL.
3. Install HIDs in place of your high beam/DRL/9005. You will have to have your dealer turn the DRL functionality off, and unlike with option 2 you should avoid flashing because turning the HIDs on and off in rapid succession is bad for the ballast.

Reference these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ive-guide.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fogs-pics.html
Old 06-22-10 | 11:51 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
As others here are saying, you will NOT find a 9005 bulb replacement that will appear pure white (5000K+) because it runs at 30%. End of story. I tried Silverstar Ultras and it failed: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-lights.html.

You have 3 options:
1. Replace your high beam/DRL/9005 with an LED replacement. Your DRL's will look sick, but you will effectively lose your high beam functionality. Your LED DRL's will come on when you hit your high beam, but it will not give you any usable light.
2. Have the dealer turn your DRL functionality off. You can swap the 9005 for a Silverstar Ultra bulb to give you extra brightness (as I did), but don't do it for color. It will never match your 6000K HIDs. You can get a brighter parking light to serve as a really faint DRL.
3. Install HIDs in place of your high beam/DRL/9005. You will have to have your dealer turn the DRL functionality off, and unlike with option 2 you should avoid flashing because turning the HIDs on and off in rapid succession is bad for the ballast.

Reference these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ive-guide.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fogs-pics.html
yeaa im gonna go with the led if this bulb doesnt work. its supposely very very blue. and the person says it should still come out bluish white even though its running at 30% ill give you a headsup if it works. im skeptical but i have some hope cuase ive seen pics of the bulbs on low beams and they are way too blue for my taste but for my highs as a drl at 30% mayb itll come out a bit more whitish blue? idk i wanna keep the functionality of my highs tho cause dont you not pass inspection without it?
Old 06-22-10 | 12:01 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Post pictures.

Even if the DRL comes out decently white, won't your high beams be super-blue? Big cop magnet if that's the case. Not sure what you're referred to when you say "inspection," but I think blue high beams are a bigger offense than having none at all.
Old 06-22-10 | 12:32 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

^ Post pictures.

Even if the DRL comes out decently white, won't your high beams be super-blue? Big cop magnet if that's the case. Not sure what you're referred to when you say "inspection," but I think blue high beams are a bigger offense than having none at all.
yea im hoping that the drls will come out whiteish blue. and i dont mind if the high beams are blue i never use them. like car dmv inspection. but on the website it says 100% street legal. hopefully no problems and everything works out. will post pics if it does come out nice
Old 06-22-10 | 12:59 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, if you never use your high beams why not get the LED DRL conversion kit? I thought the whole point was you wanted to keep your high beams.

AFAIK, the DMV doesn't check for stuff like that. A cop will pull you over if you're driving around with blue high beams though.

Anxious to see your results.
Old 06-22-10 | 01:31 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, if you never use your high beams why not get the LED DRL conversion kit? I thought the whole point was you wanted to keep your high beams.

AFAIK, the DMV doesn't check for stuff like that. A cop will pull you over if you're driving around with blue high beams though.

Anxious to see your results.
yea i kno i dont use them but my dads friend is the one who does all my mods and such for cheap and he told my dad he doesnt recommend it and my dad doesnt want me to do it... but if this doesnt work he said i can do led