IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lighting help Please! Drls, parking lights, city lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 11:31 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting help Please! Drls, parking lights, city lights?

Ive looked up multiple threads using the search bar, but i havent really gotten my answer. im iffy on a couple products.

i have 6000k hids on my low beams and my fog lights. They look great but i dont like how my drl light is still yellow. I am aware that the drl light for our car is the highbeam at 30%. I dont wanna put a hid into my high beams cause i was told they would be on at full power 24/7. and i still want to keep the functionality of the high beam.

i guess im going to replace it with a white halogen bulb such as silver star ultras or hyper white bulbs. I have heard good and bad things about them. I need something that will appear white. and also consider them being at 30% cause they are drls... Does anyone know a good product i can use? pic? suggestions?

all help would b greatly appreiciated i dont wanna end up putting them in and finding out they are yellow...

also after that will all my regular lights be white? i hear about the parking light and city light but im not sure what that reallly is, if i need to replace them can somone give me some insight? Thanks!
Old 06-21-10, 11:53 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

i currently have the same 6k lows and fogs. i changed my drl to luminic hyper yellow bulbs. they look great with my independent 6k fogs. i also changed the city light instead of that ugly yellow bulb with the lows are on to super white PIAA bulbs. if you would like i can post pics tonight or something. the city lights dont really show during the day. i regret putting $20 into it. i should have just ran it with no bulb instead. but at night you can see that little white bulb instead of the yellow right next to the lows. let me know how things work out.
Old 06-21-10, 11:59 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont you just change the city lights to LED. thats what i did, they match perfectly. and i changed my high beams to nokya artic blue and i got my drls turned off by the dealer.
Old 06-21-10, 12:07 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

68 LED DRL Bulb.
look at my sig for pic
Old 06-21-10, 12:09 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by new.era.13
why dont you just change the city lights to LED. thats what i did, they match perfectly. and i changed my high beams to nokya artic blue and i got my drls turned off by the dealer.
DRL's still look cool, just not the OEM bulbs. thats how i feel. but its all about personal preference. i was going to do led city lights to match the lows for white white offset but i decided to go with bulbs because LED's tend to burn out in extreme heat temp. i know several other is owners who went through several sets of LED's each year with 35w Lows. So thats why I went with PIAA Super White bulbs. Thats what I did.
Old 06-21-10, 12:11 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

ya, its all about preference, i only went led, because i got them for hella cheap. I would have went with led drls but than i lose my high beams.
Old 06-21-10, 12:13 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

yes please post pictures clis! but u like the yellow drl? i want closest to pure white or slight blue tint
Old 06-21-10, 12:20 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went another route for my DRL's but heres some help with your city lights.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ive-guide.html
Old 06-21-10, 02:06 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.luminicsusa.com/detail.as...005F&Type=9005 i just bought these... anybody have them or know about them?
Old 06-21-10, 02:23 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, heres the deal with the DRL ugly yellow~ you have only 2 choices either change to LED or have the stealership turn it off. Thats it~ when i first got my car i bought the xpensive PIAA hundred dolla 9005 bulbs and guess what... it was still ugly yellow~
Old 06-21-10, 03:01 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Ok, heres the deal with the DRL ugly yellow~ you have only 2 choices either change to LED or have the stealership turn it off. Thats it~ when i first got my car i bought the xpensive PIAA hundred dolla 9005 bulbs and guess what... it was still ugly yellow~
yea ive seen a couple ppl say that /: i hope these bulbs i have can prove that theory wrong tho the guy said if it doesnt come out whiteish blue i can return them. So im praying that they will! leds will stay fully powered 24/7 dont people get blinded and get angry at you?
Old 06-21-10, 03:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
...leds will stay fully powered 24/7 dont people get blinded and get angry at you?
no, LED output is weak even when on hibeam mode there is no usable light. LED = show only and when you turn on your low beam the DRL turns off anyway.
Old 06-21-10, 05:33 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
no, LED output is weak even when on hibeam mode there is no usable light. LED = show only and when you turn on your low beam the DRL turns off anyway.
icic. well i went with luminics pure blue halogen bulbs, its coated with a blue layer and gives off a lil more blue than an hid they said. they said they are 100% sure that no yellow light will go through this bulb. I think i found a winner
Old 06-21-10, 05:37 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

even with it being that blue, it will still have a yellow color since its only at 30% power.
Old 06-21-10, 05:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by new.era.13
even with it being that blue, it will still have a yellow color since its only at 30% power.
yep~ not to mention you better check your local laws about having blue lights/bulbs on your car, here in hawaii only cops can run blue~ EVEN parked with the lights off, if they see blue bulbs we can get ticketed...

Quick Reply: Lighting help Please! Drls, parking lights, city lights?