IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats the best way to go about fixing this..... (spoiler gap)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 05:23 PM
Gilky115
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to go about fixing this..... (spoiler gap)

Today i was looking at the spoiler on my car and noticed that the one side looked like it was lifting off:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

So whats the best way i go about fixing this problem. it looks like the spoiler if lifting off the plastic or whatever piece that the 3m was stuck to i think. So any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-10, 05:37 PM
l3xuz
Driver School Candidate

the best way to fix it is redo the the 3m tape.so take the spoiler off there is a 3 bolts you have to take out and just take off the old 3m tape and put a new one. thats how i did mine.oh you could buy the tape at any store like advance or autozone.
Old 06-21-10, 05:56 PM
Gilky115
Rookie

does that look like what it is, some plastic or something that the 3m tape is attached to. do i get to the spoiler bolts by taking off the trunk cover? also do i need to remove all the old goop and stuff that is on the car? How do i go about removing that?
Old 06-21-10, 05:58 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahh yours is worse then mine. I just noticed mine lifting last week. I thought it was wax at the edge of the spoiler but Turned out to be sticky residue from the double sided tape! Time to get A wald spoiler :P
Old 06-21-10, 06:12 PM
Gilky115
Rookie

mines not terrible. its just an eye sore because i know its there haha. im lifting on it to show whats on the underside of the spoiler.
Old 06-21-10, 06:37 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say to take it off and redo the tape. It might be a little headace but its the proper way unless you just add some new tape on the old one but..... When I did my roof spoiler I added some silcone to secure it because i know the 3m tape doesnt always hold perfect. Im not sure if your going to want to do that on the paint though.
Old 06-21-10, 07:28 PM
l3xuz
Driver School Candidate

yeah take off the trunk cover and inside you see the 3 bolts that hold the spoiler.the spoiler is a plastic as far as the trunk paint dont worry about that cause once you put the new tape would cover that just like origenal .to take the off the tape try to use a heat gun or just your hands roll it back n fort.
Old 06-21-10, 07:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Mines like that too. I used a strong glue on one side. Time to do the other now. The tape is worthless
Old 06-21-10, 08:10 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Do any of you guys know any tape stronger than 3M red tape. I want something really strong as nobody can just pull it off without heat gun, hair dryer etc.

Mine has a little lift and is held on by 3M tape only. Want something stronger so that thing isn't going anywhere.
Old 06-22-10, 07:04 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I just noticed my spoiler has a little play in it as well, when I push it down I notice it isn't hard against the trunk as the spoiler will compress a little.

Now that I think about it, how loose can the spoiler really get if the screws are holding it down? Certainly it will loosen over time, but I have a hard time seeing how it could actually get so loose as to notice it unless you are just staring at it and playing with it. Perhaps it may be best to install new screws, to avoid taping/gluing?
  • To get to the spoiler, we just open the trunk and peel back the trunk hood liner to expose the screws?
  • A normal screw driver to remove them?
  • Someone mentioned 3M tape to secure the spoiler on the ends where it is splitting, is Gorilla tape as strong as 3M? I really don't want to put glue on the car, even though I know I won't be taking the spoiler off.

Thanks

Last edited by E6BAV8R; 06-22-10 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 09:25 AM
tenaciousF
Rookie

The 3M tape works really well if you use the adhesion promoter/primer that was made to work with it.
Old 06-22-10, 09:50 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilky115
Today i was looking at the spoiler on my car and noticed that the one side looked like it was lifting off:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

So whats the best way i go about fixing this problem. it looks like the spoiler if lifting off the plastic or whatever piece that the 3m was stuck to i think. So any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
if you still under waranty dealer should replace it for free, i got mine replace for free, and i installed the spoiler myself, lol they didn't know
Old 06-22-10, 10:33 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I dontg even see how this happens... I guess everything gets old... so maybe... I cut the bolts off of mines (I couldn't convince myslef to drill holes in the car) that tape that come with it is crazy strong... I would take it off and redo it if I was u... I would actually get a different spoiler... but that's just me
Old 06-23-10, 06:52 AM
Gilky115
Rookie

i was thinkng of maybe taking it to the dealer. is my car still under warranty? its a 2007 with 36,xxx miles.
Old 06-23-10, 08:24 AM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If bought new, it should still be under warranty. If certified used, it might also still be. I think the dealer should do it no problem. They are so easy to work with.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to go about fixing this..... (spoiler gap)