Tint removal damage with IS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 06:50 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
real men work harder not smarter
I'm not sure what to say to that lol, time is money I guess?

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
I heard some people use steam to take off tint. Is it easy to remove the two front window tint by yourself and how would you clean the residue off.
If it's on the side windows you can use a razor blade and scrape off the leftover glue, just remember to keep it flat. On the rear, it's better to use something like goo gone or the 3m citrus stuff.
Old 06-22-10, 06:51 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eub
also, are you by chance asking because the car is leased, or you just really don't want damage to your car? if it's the former, you need not worry, i don't think dealers care when you return the car. if it's the latter, you really should worry more about the installer damaging your new car during the initial tinting process (alot of past discussions here about trim pieces being damaged, search for "trim tint" or "door tint")

never head of huper. 3m seems to be the standard.
I'm buying the car. I was hoping to get it tinted (not much, maybe 50%) from the dealer before I pick it up.. it will be here next week.

But after doing some reading I'm wondering how bad I really need tint. I'd want it more for blocking sun than looks, and unfortunately I can't get it on the windshield (where I really need it to block sunlight).

So, the potential for damage is making me wonder if I should do it at all.

But also note I'm talking about having the Lexus dealer do the tint install.

Last edited by MBTC; 06-22-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 06:53 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by new.era.13
why would you need to remove the rear tint? Just dont tint more than 35% in the rear and than your fine, the cops shouldnt give you **** for it.
I dunno, I just thought if it started to look crappy over time or something, maybe I want to take it off. I wouldn't go more than 35% no matter what.. Probably more like 50% all around.
Old 06-22-10, 07:38 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

dont buy the cheap tint, those will fade, the expensive one like 3m or F1 will not fade that much, if any. i probably wouldnt do 50%, thats basically nothing, i would go with 35%
Old 06-22-10, 07:43 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

This stuff ain't cheap... I did a little research and Huper Optik ceramic, which is what my dealer uses, seems to be held in high regard.
Old 06-22-10, 07:47 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

im getting Formula-1 Pinnacle, about $400 tint. Full ceramic.
Old 06-22-10, 07:50 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

plus, why would you spend so much, if you might have to removal it?
Old 06-22-10, 08:09 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by new.era.13
plus, why would you spend so much, if you might have to removal it?
Well there are a couple of scenarios I can think of where I might enjoy it for a few years then remove it.

Like:

1. Starts to look bad over time
2. Decide to remove to make the car easier to sell (debatable)
3. Move to a state with stricter laws

etc... Its not that I really plan to remove it, I just like to think things through.
Old 06-22-10, 08:37 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Honestly tint shouldn't effect your resale value. I've had my tint for 4 years and not a single problem. Like someone said, don't use ****ty tint. Also the Huber Optik isn't ****ty, and I'm almost sure it comes with a lifetime warranty from the dealer. They usually do when the dealership does them. Pinnacle is also a super good tint. Honestly, you don't even need that expensive of tint. I have 13% all around and have never replaced it yet. Don't worry about tinting and regretting it later. It really isn't that difficult to take off and you will appreciate the look better than no tint. JUST DO IT LIKE NIKE!
Old 06-22-10, 09:54 PM
eub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Well there are a couple of scenarios I can think of where I might enjoy it for a few years then remove it.

Like:

1. Starts to look bad over time
2. Decide to remove to make the car easier to sell (debatable)
3. Move to a state with stricter laws

etc... Its not that I really plan to remove it, I just like to think things through.
that's fair enough...and i guess we are just opinionated because we care about our cars so much. anyways, seems like the consensus is that you can remove it if you wanted to, and #1 won't be an issue if you get quality film (e.g., the brand that your dealer uses). congrats on the new car!

i suspect that your dealer will outsource the work... but at least the dealer will warranty the workmanship.
Old 06-23-10, 12:39 AM
ddts
Driver School Candidate

You should have no problem removing tint from a car. I've personally removed it before and it's a tedious process, but when done right nothing will become damaged. Tint shops will even remove the tint for you. The place where i got my windows tinted wanted $100 to remove tint from all windows or just $60 to do the back window if you want to remove the side windows yourself. The back window is the trickiest with all the defroster lines. You want to make sure you don't damage those.

Huper is top of the line tint. It'll cost $400 or above to tint with Huper. Brands like Huper and Wincos are famed for blocking IR rays (heat) which most tints don't do, including most Pinnacle and 3M tints.
Old 06-24-10, 08:01 AM
08ChrIS250
Driver

got a ticket this morning for my 3% tint.... i bought the car with the tint on it last month. i was thinking about taking it to the dealer or removing it myself. if i do it myself the only concern is the back... was told not to use a heat gun... steam only option for the rear?