IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found a Product that Cures Brake Dust Armor All Wheel Protectant (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 08:56 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa very interesting!!

toHn
Old 06-27-10, 05:23 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
What works even better is just getting the brake dust TSIB done. Solves the problem permanently. Free.
That'd be great if cars didn't go out of warranty....
Old 06-27-10, 06:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Going to try this on the Axis.. The EBC pads give off plenty of dust for me to try this product..
Old 06-27-10, 09:40 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
That'd be great if cars didn't go out of warranty....
First, the vast majority are still in warranty.

Second, even if it's not, they sell the low-dust pads for like $65 a set and front pads are crazy easy to do on this car. And if you don't drive insanely those'll last for at least several years. And solve the problem entirely rather than having to buy stuff to spray on the wheels monthly and then still manually clean them regularly anyway.

Plus no worries if the spray you're using is ok for whatever particular wheels you put on either.
Old 06-27-10, 10:35 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up for this product. People with chrome or polished rims may or may not experience a clouding effect. For powdercoated, brushed, normal alloys, etc, it should be no problem at all.

Great product. I never have to use P21S Wheel Gel on my rims anymore. No more wasting money on rim cleaner
Old 06-28-10, 12:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd be hesitant putting anything on my rims, but glad it's working so far for you all.
I had the TSB done and there is virtually no brakedust after a week of driving. Turns out to be the cleanest rims on any car I've owned.
Old 06-28-10, 08:15 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

First, the vast majority are still in warranty.

Second, even if it's not, they sell the low-dust pads for like $65 a set and front pads are crazy easy to do on this car. And if you don't drive insanely those'll last for at least several years. And solve the problem entirely rather than having to buy stuff to spray on the wheels monthly and then still manually clean them regularly anyway.

Plus no worries if the spray you're using is ok for whatever particular wheels you put on either.
Vast majority? Where did you pull that statistic from? These forums?

I purchased my car used, and whomever had the vehicle before me just put new pads and rotors on it before they sold it. So, there is still ~90% of the pad left and I'm not going to go spend the extra money to buy low-dust pads until these are worn. Therefore, this interim solution that the OP pointed out is a realistic and justifiable purchase for some of us "outsiders"; wherein our warranties are expired.
Old 06-28-10, 08:35 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Dont put chemicals on your rims!!!! Soap and water only!!
Old 06-28-10, 09:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Dont put chemicals on your rims!!!! Soap and water only!!

Wheel sealants are chemical, should we avoid that too?

The Armor All protectant has no cleaning ability so you're not going to eat your wheels away like most acid-base cleaners.
Old 06-28-10, 10:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Basic math.

Warranty is 4 years/50k miles.

The average driver puts 13,476 miles per year on a car per the US DOT.

So based on time on average the only 2ISes out of warranty are 2006 models (and even then it's a couple months before the last of them will pass their 4 year in-service date). 100% of 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 models are in warranty based on time.

Based on mileage the overwhelming majority are still in warranty as well. 3.71 years at an average of 13,476 miles a year to hit 50,000. So based on that STILL virtually all 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 models are under warranty.

Obviously there's the occasional 07 owner who drives well above average, but vast majority is a pretty easy and safe bet for still being in warranty.

not to mention, the TSIB has been out for a couple of years now. So the 06 and high-miles 07 guys had plenty of time to get it done themselves under warranty.

I purchased my car used, and whomever had the vehicle before me just put new pads and rotors on it before they sold it. So, there is still ~90% of the pad left and I'm not going to go spend the extra money to buy low-dust pads until these are worn. Therefore, this interim solution that the OP pointed out is a realistic and justifiable purchase for some of us "outsiders"; wherein our warranties are expired.

This stuff is $9 a can and you get 2 applications out of a can.

Supposedly it lasts 4 weeks.

So you'll use 6 cans a year. That's $54 per year. Probably $108-$162 over the 2-3 year life most will get out of a set of pads. If you get more than 2-3 years out of pads (and you really should) then costs are even higher. Plus the time and effort every month to reapply the stuff.

Versus spending $65 and eliminating the problem entirely with the TSIB pads even if you're out of warranty.

So again, basic math. The TSIB pads are a much better solution to the dust problem. (and for most owners, free).

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-28-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 10:23 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

65$ once every 50,000 Miles or 8.99 on a can of chemicals that will probably ruin you rims finish OVERTIME. Sounds like a no-brainer to me
Like the op said he used half of a can in one application. Add it up.
Old 06-28-10, 10:24 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

lol a little to late on that one....
Old 06-28-10, 10:54 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I'm not advocating using the spray instead of non-dust brake pads, but for some of us who already or still have the OEM pads on it isn't very practical to rip off the current pads. Either just wash the car a lot or risk using the spray.
Old 06-28-10, 11:16 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

anyone have a link to the target coupon?
Old 06-28-10, 11:19 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What works even better is just getting the brake dust TSIB done. Solves the problem permanently. Free.

AND~ for those with aftermarket wheels, put some car wash *like Gold Class or Deep Crystal* in a spray bottle, 1/4th to 1/3rd soap the rest water. Spray and use a mf towel to clean... for bolts or that space between the barrel and face use this HERE *this link is to trendy todds website, CL vendor*

Don't use those wheel cleaner sparys~ seen too much damaged finishes cuz of so called 'professional' detail shops spraying harsh chemicals rather than just taking the time to do it the right way...

Quick Reply: Found a Product that Cures Brake Dust Armor All Wheel Protectant (Pics)