IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Flyaudio - Replace OEM Nav w/ Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 08:46 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyaudio - Replace OEM Nav w/ Mark Levinson

Hi all, I figured I would start a fresh post on the Flyaudio system by letting folks know that I have successfully installed the Flyaudio GPS system in a 2006 Lexus IS350 with OEM Nav and Mark Levison! I have read many posts that have inaccurate information regarding this and wanted to set the record straight.
First: Replacing the OEM Nav. The only "major" difference between the Nav and Non-Nav harnesses is a pin adapter called J53 (J54 on non nav). This is the adapter that plugs into the back of the A/C non nav unit OR to the side of the OEM nav unit. As I read some posts on how to add OEM Nav to a Non Nav Lexus, I found that if you simply reverse this process, you should be able to make your own J54 from my J53 plus 3 other wires that can plug into the Flyaudio female adapter. It took a lot of research but I was able to remove the wires one by one from the little white adapter in my car, purchase the $10 Non Nav Climate Control male adapter and clip the wires into that to mirror the wiring of non nav. There were only 3 wires that needed to come from another harness in a OEM nav wired car (2 Air Conditioning Data wires and 1 led (secruity light) wire). Once I made this, I simply plugged all of the harnesses in from flyaudio and I have a working Flyaudio GPS system! I can / will provide detail instructions to those that want them.
I also got the OEM backup camera to work. This was similar to above in that I researched the wires that are hooked up to the old OEM nav display (reverse light, power, ground, etc). I simply attached a male RCA plug to the + and - and provided power from the existing harness to the camera power and it works great.

What works:
First of all the unit works 100%, all Climate Control functions, all LEDs (security, panel lights), GPS, DVD, Backup camera etc. Since I had OEM Nav, I had bluetooth and the buttons on the steering wheel. These "pick up" and "hang up" buttons DO work (sort of) with the Flyaudio bluetooth. If I hit the "pick up", the unit goes to the bluetooth screen so I can make a call. If a call comes in, I believe I have to touch the screen to answer but will test further. Regardless, those data wired buttons on the steering wheel do work to some degree. I also wired the Flyaudio mic in the same spot as the OEM mic (roof panel beside the sunglass hold). This works perfect as it's hidden and sound quality is great (I have been told).
I have Lexus installed XM and it still works (attached to the radio receiver only) but obviously nothing shows up on the screen. As you hit the AM/Sat button, it cycles through AM/Sat 1/Sat 2/Sat 3. As long as you know the station presets (had them preset on my OEM Nav unit), it works easy!
Becasue I have ML sound system, I was worried that sound quality would be sacraficed with this install....I was wrong. Since all the sound still goes through the ML amp, the quality is the same, if not better. The ONLY thing you lose is a simulated surround sound that is part of the OEM Nav (the option to turn off and on was only available on the screen).

What needs improvement:
1) The bluetooth included is somewhat limited...with all the technology out today in this area, I cannot figure out why the Flyaudio one doesn't include the following: Phone book, call display by name.
2) Maybe it's my installation, but the OEM CD changer (actually DVD changer), does NOT display the track name, just what DVD is playing (ie,. 1 through 6). None of the "Random" or "repeat" buttons on the screen "light" up but do work.
3) When listening to the DVD changer and a call comes in, I cannot pick up the call no matter what I do (hit the green pick up button on screen but does nothing!) On everything else (FM, Sat, Flyaudio DVD) it works fine
4) This is Canadian owners only...the Climate Control temperature is only in F AND it's almost like it doubles C. For example, I have to keep mine at around 46 F, which is comfortable and similar to my old 23 C setting. Other Canadian owners have this problem so know it's not my OEM Nav to Flyaudio wiring
5) Navigation - get rid of the Odyssey that comes with it and have someone dedicated to providing solutions from iGO, Navigon, Garmin and Tom Tom. These are the top 4 and I know there are a lot of people trying to make Garmin and Tom Tom work (iGO works great) but would like Navigon to work too. All of these run on Windows CE and would think Flyaudio could market their product MUCH better knowing all 4 of these work.

That's all for now. I would like to thank Mosh at AutoMotion Canada. He has played significant role in getting these out to the Toronto Canada area...He was one of the first to test Flyaudio on 2010 IS and he worked with me (patiently!!) to get this working in an OEM Nav car!

Looking forward to more software updates and I hope this helps some of you out there that want to upgrade from OEM Nav to this!!!
Old 06-28-10, 09:40 AM
kstar22
Driver School Candidate

Hey I was wondering how you wired the mic.. where did you take it to the dome light? Everyone seems to put it there?
Old 06-28-10, 10:37 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the post Todd. I was hoping that you would clarify what exactly you did to make it work because I have alot of clients asking if it is possible. Glad to hear you are happy with the FlyAudio!

Last edited by Automax Service; 06-28-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 11:32 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kstar22
Hey I was wondering how you wired the mic.. where did you take it to the dome light? Everyone seems to put it there?
I wired it from the FlyAudio unit under the dash, up the side windshield pillar, along the roof liner and then removed the dome light/sunglass holder assembly by taking two screws out in the sunglass compartment and then used a pry tool to pop to plugs on the opposite side. Once I did that I could see in the roof liner and bring the mic to the same spot the OEM mic was. Great location!
Old 06-28-10, 12:02 PM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Automax Service
Thanks for the post Todd. I was hoping that you would clarify what exactly you did to make it work because I have alot of clients asking if it is possible. Glad to hear you are happy with the FlyAudio!
No problem Mat.

If you could be so kind as to forward my "wish list" to Flyaudio as I know you have good connections there. Most are repeats of existing user comments but would like Flyaudio to be aware of the ones I stated.

Todd
Old 06-28-10, 12:08 PM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by swyner
No problem Mat.

If you could be so kind as to forward my "wish list" to Flyaudio as I know you have good connections there. Most are repeats of existing user comments but would like Flyaudio to be aware of the ones I stated.

Todd
Definitely, will do!
Old 07-02-10, 05:25 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have Navigon working? I loved that software on iphone and would really love to see someone make it work!!!
Old 07-15-10, 10:23 PM
typerguy
Driver School Candidate

swyner, I am very interested in doing this to my is350 w/nav, but was wondering can you give more details as to what adaptor to buy. And, do you have a wiring diagram to make this work. thanks.
Old 07-19-10, 04:38 PM
superi0ro1
Rookie

what's are the PRO of replacing your OEM navi with ML for a fly audio unit?
Old 07-22-10, 05:57 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by superi0ro1
what's are the PRO of replacing your OEM navi with ML for a fly audio unit?
Ability to use a variety of different GPS software that is MUCH better than the OEM one. The quality of the screen and OEM integration is perfect.

Also, the possibilities are endless with this....it runs on Windows CE 5 and therefore may have the possibility to be used as a CarPC one day!

I bought it specifically for the flexibility in map software and to add a CarPC one day. All in all it's amazing!

Todd
Old 07-22-10, 07:39 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typerguy
swyner, I am very interested in doing this to my is350 w/nav, but was wondering can you give more details as to what adaptor to buy. And, do you have a wiring diagram to make this work. thanks.
Hey there.

I used this website : https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/

You have to pay a small fee but you get every wiring diagram possible for your Lexus. It will also have part numbers.

The J54 adapter is what you need and if you call a Lexus parts dealer, they should be able to match that description to a Part No. The part number is 11911.

I will attach a file that shows the wiring from the existing J53 harness and the 3 other wires from 2 other harnesses that have to go into the new J54. I am at work and believe this file is at home.
Old 07-22-10, 07:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the dead reckoning work?

Koz
Old 07-22-10, 08:23 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, I might consider doing the swap one day.
Old 07-22-10, 08:55 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Wait a minute. If you already have OEM nav why on earth would you replace with another Nav? Not bashing Audiofly but it makes no sense.
Old 07-22-10, 09:00 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dojoman
Wait a minute. If you already have OEM nav why on earth would you replace with another Nav? Not bashing FlyAudio but it makes no sense.
There are alot of great reasons to replace the the factory navigation with an aftermarket system (FlyAudio being the only real in dash, complete factory replacement).

1) Alot of the factory navigation screens stop working and need some kind of replacement
2) Upgraded functionality (iPod, USB, RCA, mini SD card, and DVD player)
3) Adding a unique and custom component to your Lexus

I think it's great that Todd and others are pushing the envelope to incorporate this system into their Lexus! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Flyaudio - Replace OEM Nav w/ Mark Levinson