IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 11:26 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im currently waiting for the letter in the mail. My dealership advised me thatI had to wait for the letter prior yo making an appt to drop off. Hopefully while they are in there they can figure out why I had oil on one of my spark plugs too.
Old 09-08-10, 08:06 PM
tdz
Driver School Candidate

Took my car in a couple of days ago for an oil change. I wasn't planning on doing the recall yet but after talking to my service adviser, I decided to do it. They had the car for two days. They indicated that they had repaired a few in the past and seven under the recall. No problems thus far.
Old 09-09-10, 12:33 PM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What if you just recently purchased a used car, i'm sure i won't get a letter in the mail. How do I go about doing this?
Old 09-09-10, 01:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flexthatdx
What if you just recently purchased a used car, i'm sure i won't get a letter in the mail. How do I go about doing this?
Register as an owner at lexus.com with your VIN and it'll show you all recalls performed and all recalls still needing to be done.
Old 09-11-10, 03:20 PM
604lex
Driver School Candidate

Just got my letter here too in Vancouver,BC gonna call to make an appointment now.
Old 09-11-10, 05:49 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Was there anything in the letter about $1,500 off a future Lexus purchase? I had read that on the LS460 forum.
Old 09-11-10, 08:38 PM
JDub23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350JDM
I just received the letter in the mail 2 days ago. I read this entire thread and heard what everyone had to say about the recall. I guess I have no problem letting them replacing the valves if its going to fix/prevent anything future problems. But my concern is the quality of the work that will be done by whichever anonymous junior technician that happens to be working at my nearest dealership. What guarantee do I really have to ensure that the procedure will be done correctly? What if the dealership decides to cheap out on the other parts that need to be replaced like the gaskets, but don't replace it? What if they have to uninstall the head? That is a major operation that needs to be delicately handle by a master technician that knows this engine inside and out. What if after they replace the valve springs, other problem start happening, or performance is worse? I've always had this fear that technicians might loose a screw or two when taking engines apart, or when they screw it back together, some go back in too tight or too loose.

Its a tough decision for me because if I don't do the recall, one day the valve springs actually might go on me. If I do, I'm worried about the quality of work.

I better let some other IS owners go first and see what they have to say before I bring my car in.

Anyone have similar thoughts?
Hey Victor,

I took mine in this past week to get it done at Don Valley. My service adviser told me they already did some and I had the fuel line recall done there too last time so I felt confident to let them do the work. Took 2 days to complete and since I've got it back everything's been so far so good *knock on wood*

dgsvt, after getting my recall letter I got another letter from Lexus Canada giving me 2 gift certificates: 1 was $1500 towards the lease, finance or cash purchase of a new or demo vehicle and the other was $250 towards any parts and accessories, service repair or Lexus Lifestyles merchandise.
Old 09-11-10, 09:40 PM
albis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a question...my car is an '06 it has 54k miles so is out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still has the power train warranty will I get a loaner when I take it in to d the recall or I wont since I am out of the warranty and road side assistance all that...
Old 09-11-10, 10:19 PM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by albis350
Got a question...my car is an '06 it has 54k miles so is out of the bumper to bumper warranty but still has the power train warranty will I get a loaner when I take it in to d the recall or I wont since I am out of the warranty and road side assistance all that...
You should get a loaner. I brought my is300 into the dealer for their inspection before I sold the car and they loaned me an is250.
Old 09-12-10, 09:36 AM
niccuhles
Driver

UPDATE: Sorry guys its been awhile since I updated last. So on my last post I stated that my cam shaft actuator failed causing a ton of damage(mostly bent valves). I was out of the factory warranty and the total bill to fix it was $4400+ tax. My heart sank when I heard the total. Lexus of Seattle decided that it was a manufacturing defect but since it was out of the warranty there wasnt anything they could do as a private dealership. So with that being, I contacted Lexus US corporate and filed a claim. After about a week Lexus contacted me and stated that they would meet me in the middle and cover half of whatever the cost of the fix would be considering that the valve spring recall would overlap some of the cost of my fix. Overall, im not too happy about spending $2200+ to fix a car with less than 110k on it, but I am grateful that Lexus is actually going to help me cover half of the bill. Would I buy a lexus again? ABSOLUTELY, I think that I just had bad luck on this perticular vehicle.

Oh, and if you have the start up noise GET IT TAKEN CARE OF. I had the start up noise for months(with it happening every single cold start up) I kept reading that it doesnt effect the driveability of the car and I just brushed it off, but I personally think this is why my cam shaft actuator failed or what led up to it atleast.

Last edited by niccuhles; 09-12-10 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-13-10, 11:38 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm concern about oil leaks do they replace the gaskets when they replace the valve springs? are they removing the heads completely and if they are will they be replacing the head gaskets as well or just the valve covers and the valve stem seals?
Old 09-13-10, 04:55 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Dropped off the 08 IS 350 this morning, was told I would get it back Wednesday, possibly Thursday. Nothing to really note on the workslip besides the ALE valve springs and for checking tire thread and pressure.
Old 09-14-10, 10:09 PM
mitchkrane
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve Spring and Nosies

Thought it was time to chime-in at this point concerning start-up ticking or tapping or grinding sounds on IS350, GS350, and LS460, etc with VVT engines. Here's the deal: ALL variable valve timed engines make these noises at certain times. Lexus devised a TSB fix for the noise for certain owners who complained and where the issue could be duplicated. Obviously it is not at every start-up. My personal feeling: Don't bother with the TSB and here's why. The dealer will fix the issue, albeit temporarily, and you will have your cams and valve covers removed and for no reason other than that you are worried about the sounds. The VVT in our engines is both hydraulic and pneumatic, meaning air and oil. When the actuators don't have the right balance of air and oil pressure, they pop for 1-2 seconds, although it is really only 1/2 second or so. Agreed a Lexus should be 100% silent, but if we want power, low fuel consumption rates and everything else out of a seemingly small v6 engine, we need to cope with some drawbacks. If, however, the sounds bother you, here is how you avoid them 100% of the time. When the engine is warm, hot, cold, or freezing, simply place foot on brake, tap the start button, and the very moment you hear the starter engage, remove foot from brake. In other words, your foot is off the brake before you have engine ignition. The sound of the actuator or valve clatter as some call it will NEVER be heard. Why you ask? Because the removal of the foot from the brake pedal also increases the vacuum level of the intake manifold which in turn increases the vacuum pressure by 1.2-1.7mb at both cam actuators rendering them synchronized instantly. It sounds like an odd procedure, but if you do it 5 times, you'll learn to start your car that way every time. Most of us simply get in, shut the door, press the brake, press the start button and start the engine. The same applies, but instead of holding the brake pedal until the engine ignites, we remove our foot as the 1-2 second starter process is involved. No more sounds. Does this effect he valve springs themselves..Probably not. I'm on the list for my 07 gs 350 for the valve spring recall. Will I have it done? No way. I will wait for the engine to implode before I allow a guy to tear my engine into 50 pieces to replace 24-32 little 3.3 mm springs that more than likely won't ever break. If it is nothing then why is Lexus bothering? Because they are Lexus and they have had the crap beat out of them of late and there are some of us who will experience a broken valve and if it happens on the highway at 60mph, it can be an issue. If you know how to drive and it happens, you locate the proper sequence of pulling over safely, calling them, getting it fixed and calling it a day. If I keep the car long enough, the rear gear box and transmission will fail, but I'm not replacing them at 24,000 miles. Run fully synthetic oil, change it every 5k and drive the car as hard as you'd like. These are non-interference engines. If a valve spring breaks at 3,000 rpm or less, the valve will be suspended by the retainer and not fall in to the chamber. 100% of the breaks so far have started at cold crank because that is when the bad spring, which has been compressed all night or fully extracted all night is getting the most beating. 100% of the small amount of breaks have happened at cold crank and at cold idle. You'll know when it breaks the same way you’ll know if a tree falls on you while you are golfing. However, if you are at redline at a valve breaks, it could fall into the chamber and the engine will come apart quite fast. No fires, no explosions, just a big bang and a totaled motor. Will it happen to you? Nope. The less you need to have the motor touched by mechanics, the longer it will run. I had seven German cars, three of which had bad valve springs. One had some piston damage. The other two just shook like no tomorrow. No big deal. Was there a recall? Nope. Fixed them as they broke. One bad batch of springs and about a 5% break-rate. With Lexus, it is about .2%, but will grow to about 1%. 1% of 140,000 cars in the U.S is about 1,400 cars. Even in this economic depression, that is the number of Chevy's sold this afternoon. Don't rush to have your engine torn apart because a valve spring that might break doesn't break. Lexus is being OCD on the issue. Fix it when it is broken. That is me and my 15 cents. Anyway, please do try the procedure for start-up I mentioned. Oh, it will not harm the motor in the least if the actuators for the VVT rattle. If it bothers you, follow my procedure. It works on EVERY VVT engine and that covers about 12 brands and 125 models. The dealer can't tell you this as it would make him/her look stupid and I understand. But, it works every time. Good luck and thanks for allowing me the long post. Oh, use any quality synthetic oil 5w-30. It keeps the valve spring temps about 15-20 degrees (f) cooler which will greatly lowers the risk of a break at the supposedly weak spot.
Old 09-15-10, 12:29 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa. I've learned a lot from these last two posts. Thank you, both of you.
Old 09-15-10, 06:45 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bringing my is350 to Lexus of Westminster to have the valve spring recall done this Saturday (9/18/10). I have the Takeda intake, shall I switch back to the OEM one so the dealer don't ask questions about that?

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)