IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 07:08 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the intake affect the work needed on the valve springs?
Old 09-15-10, 07:25 AM
simple
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 350 is currently at Maplewood Lexus (MN), said they'd done dozens of 'em so I should get it back within 8hrs. They'd gave me a 2010 RX350 as a loaner.
Old 09-15-10, 07:28 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitchkrane... Paragraphs man! Paragraphs!
Old 09-15-10, 10:39 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my07is350
I'm bringing my is350 to Lexus of Westminster to have the valve spring recall done this Saturday (9/18/10). I have the Takeda intake, shall I switch back to the OEM one so the dealer don't ask questions about that?
Hey there,

You would not have to worry about that, they will not question it at all. We are a mod friendly service department, and the intake, being a minor item, will not be questioned .

Just an FYI, we are very backed up with the Valve Spring Recalls at the moment. I had a customer who dropped their IS350 last week, and we are barely getting to their car by the end of this week. It's a very time consuming repair process if you can imagine. Just wanted to let you know since I am a service advisor there. You can PM me if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks for your understanding!

-Pete
Old 09-15-10, 11:31 AM
kyle0k
Rookie

I see that this is a procses that is taking dealers a long time to fix(longer than a day). Does that mean we get a free rental...? what kind of rentals do they give out, lexus brand or is is whatever is cheapest(toyota corolla)?
Old 09-15-10, 11:33 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyle0k
I see that this is a procses that is taking dealers a long time to fix(longer than a day). Does that mean we get a free rental...? what kind of rentals do they give out, lexus brand or is is whatever is cheapest(toyota corolla)?
If it takes longer than, I believe, 3 hours you get a free rental from Lexus.

They generally offer you the newest version of your model (IS, GS, ES, RX, etc...), but I believe they also give you some choices. It will be a Lexus though.
Old 09-15-10, 11:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
If it takes longer than, I believe, 3 hours you get a free rental from Lexus.

They generally offer you the newest version of your model (IS, GS, ES, RX, etc...), but I believe they also give you some choices. It will be a Lexus though.

Actually, all of the above is entirely subject to the dealers whim beyond the following:

If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle.
Anything else depends on the dealer.

Some will do a loaner for 2 hours or more of repair. Some will stick to 8.

Some (most) will provide a Lexus vehicle (though usually it's among the cheaper models, so IS and ES are most common) but they're not required to, and I've seen some folks report getting non-Lexus vehicles as loaners (either in general or when the dealership was otherwise out of Lexus ones to loan)
Old 09-15-10, 12:04 PM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I've gotten the Valve spring done on my car. I kept on getting the check engine light and got pissed off and called head office so that I dont have to wait for the stupid letter in the mail. Screwwww thatttt.
A little bit of background info regarding this issue. I drive my car WOT about 50% of the time. I drive a IS350. About 10 times I had the problem of the CEL and Traction light come on. Sometimes restarting the car simply fixed it. Then that stopped working. Took it in. They dont know whats going on. Changed some stuff (I think it was cam shaft first time). Problem came back. Changed some more stuff. Problem came back. (Thank god for warrenty, hehe). So I got pissed off dropping the car off every week. I called head office. They called LexusOnThePark (Canada, Toronto) low and behold, they shipped the valve spring recall.
I've been driving the snot out of my car to see if I can reproduce the problem and so far I CANNOT (Plus im breaking in my new tires )
What I recommend if you are having the CEL with Traction light coming on. Dont listen to the dealer. Call head office, yell scream do what ever, and have them do the recall for you. Seems to have fixed my issue.

If you have any more questions, please write here. Cheers
Old 09-15-10, 12:07 PM
DannyMih
Driver School Candidate

P.S. I'm selling this car 5K before the warrenty is up. I still got another 35K of terror on the roads
Once an engine is opened up and stuff is swapped its no longer the same.
Old 09-15-10, 12:09 PM
Madsci625
Driver

Well, took the car in to get the intake cam gear rattle fixed (it was really bad; every time I started the car after a few hours it would do it and it was loud to the point that it was concerning me). They also performed the valve spring recall while they were in there. So far so good....
Old 09-15-10, 12:46 PM
simple
Pole Position

To anyone with any knowledge, is there any truth behind this?
Old 09-15-10, 12:55 PM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by simple

To anyone with any knowledge, is there any truth behind this?
Of course not. People are being extremely paranoid about it. Sure, some rookie tech could go in there and screw something up but it's unlikely that they would let a rookie perform engine work. Further, once the car has been on the road for a short while after the repair, the chances of something going wrong due to improper repair is very small (failure curves are U-shaped).

This work is not that complicated, just time consuming. I personally wasn't going to take the car in for the valve spring fix for a while but they fixed it anyway without asking when they replaced the cam gear assy.
Old 09-15-10, 02:08 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've already had my engine torn apart for the "Start-up Grind" TSB...so im not that worried about having Lexus do something like this again. However, think about this for a second...if the valve spring(s) break there is a good chance alot more will be affected internally. What does all this mean, possibly a new motor if **** hits the fan. See, when the valve springs break, don't the valves drop and hit the piston head?...causing major problems? I had this happen to my 300ZX back in the day, and the motor was replaced...only things they kept were stupid **** like water pump and intake pipes, etc... Ride it out, and if it happens, look at this as an opportunity to get a new motor. If not, at least your motor will stay a virgin....and you will drive happily ever after.

Oh btw, for those who do get this problem, rev the **** out of the engine in "N" if you can start it up, and blow those heads, valves, and pistons for a new motor...sorry, I love my ride, but in this economy, Toyota needs to pay back for their mistakes and slacking in the reliability dept.
Old 09-15-10, 05:15 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Got mine done a few weeks ago. They had my vehicle for 4 days. So far.. no issues, car runs like a champ. I have had every tsb done on this car. I'm just glad it's fixed. Hopefully there will be no more issues with the motor.
Old 09-15-10, 06:06 PM
simple
Pole Position

Mine was done within 7hrs...

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)