IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 06:33 PM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in for an oil change and a couple of other things (including replacing a part that had to be overnighted) the Wednesday before labor day, and then right when I was about to go pick it up, my S/A called and told me that she realized I was subject to the valve spring recall. The tech that they put on my car took Saturday off and of course also Monday (labor day) off, and I didn't get my car back until the next Wednesday. I didn't get too bent out of shape about it though, because they gave me a decently equipped 2010 is250, and I had that to drive around for the whole week. They were also pretty good about staying in touch and keeping me updated, and as it was a holiday weekend and they told me from the outset that it was a two day job, I just rolled with it.

On a side note, my loaner had satellite radio, which my 350 does not, and I didn't realize how much I missed having it. I was able to find an XM receiver from Sewell which was awesome since my dealer told me that they couldn't get one. I think the parts dept. was just lazy on that one. I ended up ordering the receiver shortly after getting my car back and am looking forward to putting it in--hopefully by the end of this week.

[edit for typo]

Last edited by MGLane; 09-15-10 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:21 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Madsci625
Of course not. People are being extremely paranoid about it. Sure, some rookie tech could go in there and screw something up but it's unlikely that they would let a rookie perform engine work. Further, once the car has been on the road for a short while after the repair, the chances of something going wrong due to improper repair is very small (failure curves are U-shaped).
I disagree, and there are plenty of stories on this forum alone that will back it up. The minute you involve humans (and the associated errors that come along with that) you will find errors and problems, and Lexus or any other OEM is no different.

Failures on repairs curve is U-Shaped because the most likely time something is going to go wrong is right when you get the car back (because humans were involved in the process), and it becomes less of an occurrence percentage as time goes on because you get further and further away from human involvement - that applies to anything.
Old 09-24-10, 03:26 PM
muf-dvr
Rookie

Is there a website or phone number you can call to see what VIN numbers are on the recall list?

Im about to buy a 07 IS 350 and don't wanna get the car then have it sit in the shop for a few days..plus the dealer is 2 hours away.

TIA

Anybody know the answer to this question?

Last edited by muf-dvr; 09-25-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 05:26 PM
johnch
Driver School Candidate

Had my valve springs replaced. Check engine light came on within 15 minutes of leaving the dealer. Some hose or something was loose and easily fixed. This concerns me though that if this mistake was made, what else was done sloppy that I don't know about yet?
Old 09-25-10, 10:32 PM
muf-dvr
Rookie

Originally Posted by muf-dvr
Is there a website or phone number you can call to see what VIN numbers are on the recall list?

Im about to buy a 07 IS 350 and don't wanna get the car then have it sit in the shop for a few days..plus the dealer is 2 hours away.

TIA
Old 09-26-10, 01:48 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

TIA

Call the dealership and find out whether it is or not. As far as I know though, I think it was only the 2008 models since it happened for a short time at the factory.
Old 09-27-10, 06:42 PM
dzl1907
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnch
Had my valve springs replaced. Check engine light came on within 15 minutes of leaving the dealer. Some hose or something was loose and easily fixed. This concerns me though that if this mistake was made, what else was done sloppy that I don't know about yet?
What dealership did you go to?
Old 09-28-10, 08:27 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simple
Once an engine is opened up and stuff is swapped its no longer the same.

To anyone with any knowledge, is there any truth behind this?
Maybe. I had an E46 M3 that was subject to an engine bearing recall. Car didn't consume any oil before they were replaced; afterwards the car would use about a quart every 2k miles or so.
Old 09-28-10, 08:35 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its mostly bull **** I dont care what you hear on the news lexus one of the best cars in the world .tell me what car makers has done what lexus has done in 20 YEARS ? am waiting
Old 09-29-10, 04:05 PM
johnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dzl1907
What dealership did you go to?
I went to the Charleston, SC, Lexus dealer. I've been very pleased with their service and the over-all experiance since purchasing there. No problems at all except for this one, apparently minor, annoyance. I've been driving about 10 days now since the valve spring replacement and have had no further issues.

John
Old 09-29-10, 04:07 PM
dgsvt
Driver

I think it's all the 06-08 IS350... I have a 2006 IS350 that is included in the recall, but I have not received my letter yet.
Old 09-29-10, 05:12 PM
Driverseat
Rookie

I just got my car back from Hendrick Lexus of Charlotte after they completed this tsb and the camshaft tsb and I couldnt be happier. My 06 IS350 is right around 50k so I had them replace the spark plugs so I wouldnt have to do it at 60k. The car runs LIKE NEW! I would recommend paying the extra and getting your plugs replaced if you havent done so already! If your from the Charlotte area and planning on getting this service done, Matt Mauldin was service advisor I had who was very helpfull no hassle get the job done right kinda guy
Old 09-29-10, 05:34 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my IS350 after a week and a half at the dealer for the valve springs recall and the rear view mirror tsb. They are so backed up with the recall service, mine was the tenth in line. I didn't mind since I have an 09 RX350 as a loaner, and I rather have it done properly. By now I'm quite sure that the mechanics who performed the service must be pretty well experienced with it already. Just as the first time with the gas pedal recall, they again gave me a full tank of gas. I also asked the service rep to turn off the DRL and program the interior lights to come on as I approach the car with the key fob. Everything was done as requested, couldn't be happier. I didn't notice any sluggishness in the car and now the rear view mirror is rock solid, no vibration whatsoever. You guys in Orange County of socal who want to have it done, please go to Lexus of Westminster and ask for Charlie Sarno. Thumbs up!!!
Old 09-29-10, 08:10 PM
tylern24
Driver School Candidate

Just got my '06 350 back today. It was in the shop for a day-and-a-half for the Value Spring recall. Everything seems to be good!

The new RX450h loaner was nice, but I'm glad I've got my IS back
Old 09-30-10, 04:50 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

I got the recall notice in the mail about two weeks ago and set it aside.
Yesterday my local Lexus dealer called me to let me know I was on the list
they received from Lexus and did I want to schedule a time for the work.
I asked about also doing the TSIB for cold start rattle and they said
no problem, it would add only a little time and effort to the recall.
They have always given me first class service

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)