IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 07:20 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea why it's taking so long to get letters out to all affected owners?
Old 10-01-10, 09:09 PM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my 350 back few days ago no prob so far. I did a few checks like looking if any oil leaks i didn't see any but inside the engine bay like the botoom cover inside i saw i think old oil maybe oil leaked out when they were working on the car. I can't really reach to wipe the oil off so i used a hanger and taped paper towel around the hanger and wiped it off i hope that oil was when they were working on the car. I'll test drive it later to see if the oil leaks at the same place. It's where the front sway bar front passenger . I hope its not leaking

Last edited by SilvaIS350; 10-01-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-02-10, 10:47 AM
vasco1953
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
Got my 350 back few days ago no prob so far. I did a few checks like looking if any oil leaks i didn't see any but inside the engine bay like the botoom cover inside i saw i think old oil maybe oil leaked out when they were working on the car. I can't really reach to wipe the oil off so i used a hanger and taped paper towel around the hanger and wiped it off i hope that oil was when they were working on the car. I'll test drive it later to see if the oil leaks at the same place. It's where the front sway bar front passenger . I hope its not leaking
Most interesting. I took my 2006 IS350 in last week for the valve spring replacement, and this week I noticed oil on the same cover. I'm taking it in on Monday for a check. TSIB EG001-07 (oil leak) was never performed on this car, as it never leaked oil before. Needless to say, I will mention it to the service consultant.
Old 10-04-10, 04:24 PM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by simple
Once an engine is opened up and stuff is swapped its no longer the same.

To anyone with any knowledge, is there any truth behind this?
Not true if the work is done correctly.

Originally Posted by Madsci625
Of course not. People are being extremely paranoid about it. Sure, some rookie tech could go in there and screw something up but it's unlikely that they would let a rookie perform engine work.
This work is not that complicated, just time consuming. I personally wasn't going to take the car in for the valve spring fix for a while but they fixed it anyway without asking when they replaced the cam gear assy.
Only the most experienced technicians do the ALE recalls.

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
I disagree, and there are plenty of stories on this forum alone that will back it up. The minute you involve humans (and the associated errors that come along with that) you will find errors and problems, and Lexus or any other OEM is no different.
Read above post.

Originally Posted by vasco1953
Most interesting. I took my 2006 IS350 in last week for the valve spring replacement, and this week I noticed oil on the same cover. I'm taking it in on Monday for a check. TSIB EG001-07 (oil leak) was never performed on this car, as it never leaked oil before. Needless to say, I will mention it to the service consultant.
There should be absolutly no oil residue what so ever after the repair is done.
Old 10-05-10, 01:08 PM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Did u try wiping it off then test drive to see if its leaks again?
Old 10-05-10, 01:23 PM
vasco1953
Driver School Candidate

An update: Just got my car back. Oil leak was due to a faulty oil pressure switch assembly on the engine. Per the service advisor, the switch was probably damaged during the valve spring replacement. I will continue to monitor. TSIB EG001-07 is not in play.
Old 10-05-10, 01:28 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my car back and had the valve springs replaced and the cam assembly replaced, again. It literally feels like the first day I bought the car. Either that, or it's because I drove a 250 loaner for 6 days lol.
Old 10-06-10, 03:56 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

An update: Just got my car back. Oil leak was due to a faulty oil pressure switch assembly on the engine. Per the service advisor, the switch was probably damaged during the valve spring replacement. I will continue to monitor. TSIB EG001-07 is not in play.
Well i test drove the car and confirmed there is oil leaking left and right side top botton of engine its where the metal tube is at.faulty oil pressure swith assembly is that the metal tube on the left and right top bottom of engine?

Last edited by SilvaIS350; 10-06-10 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-06-10, 05:54 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

I picked up my car yesterday after having the valve stem recall and camshaft
replacement TSB done to it. They had it two days and I'm very satisfied.
It runs better than ever. Idles so smooth you can't feel it and the tach doesn't move at all. I jumped on the expressway this morning and could definitely tell an improvement.
Old 10-06-10, 10:41 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Where is my letter? Has everyone else received their letter already?
Old 10-06-10, 11:07 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Took mine in Monday and they said maybe Friday to pick it up. You don't need a letter just call your dealer to set an appointment what I did. Got the hs250 hybrid for a loaner and the tpms display all four tire pressure. Wish the IS did the same.
Old 10-06-10, 06:40 PM
mrdj
Driver School Candidate

You don't have to wait for your letter. I just got a used IS350 a few weeks ago, I registered at lexus.com and then noticed the recall. I called the number and provided my vin. They told me it was part of the recall and connected me to my nearest lexus dealership. 5-10minutes later, and I got an appointment for next week wednesday with a loaner.

I was paranoid too, waiting for the letter. And i just registered my car, who knows if it will even go to me.
Old 10-06-10, 08:33 PM
Stun350
Rookie

Just got back from the dealership. I had taken my car a week ago for the valve spring recall and they finally called today that it was ready. So I'm driving off the lot and notice a strong exhaust smell coming from the vents. Drive it a little while longer and it didn't go away so I returned to the dealership and dropped it off and got the same loaner back. I wonder what was causing the smell.
Old 10-06-10, 09:13 PM
mrdj
Driver School Candidate

All this talk about issues after getting their valve springs replaced is scaring me. When I pick up my car, I guess I gotta throughly check for issues. It sucks cause im out of warranty at 56k.. wonder if theres a warranty on this recall?
Old 10-07-10, 12:01 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Is it leaking after they replaced the oil pressure switch assembly on the engine?

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)