IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 12:30 AM
goodwill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me today as well. Stopped at a red light, in gear, car idles rough spontaneously, then goes back to normal. I'm at ~42k miles.

Originally Posted by RaysIS350
I've experienced this EXACT problem as well, and it's so rare and random, that the Dealer has never been able to pinpoint it. I'm at 38k miles right now.
Old 10-07-10, 06:51 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Made my appointment 2 weeks ago. Dropped it off on Tuesday morning and picked it up Wednesday afternoon. So far so good.
Old 10-08-10, 01:30 PM
vasco1953
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilvaIS350
Is it leaking after they replaced the oil pressure switch assembly on the engine?
I checked this afternoon. No leaks.
Old 10-08-10, 01:57 PM
ptran
Rookie

Dropped it off last Monday Oct 4th with a promise the car will be done in 2 days.
Got a call today the 8th and the SA told me theres a small piece of the spring that broke off and fall into one of the cylinder. Im glad they found it and they will keep my car for another week to get it fixed. Kudo to Westside Lexus of Houston.

So, the threat is real. I recommend all IS owner bring your car in to get it done.
Old 10-08-10, 03:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not worried about "realness of threat", but I will have it fixed when I get recall notice.
Old 10-10-10, 04:49 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Took the car back to the dealer told them that i might be leaking oil so they cleaned my engine and test drove the car let it idle No leaks i guess those were oil residue from the work. Got the car back yesturday took it for a long drive so far no oil leaks
Old 10-10-10, 10:34 PM
hazmat
Rookie

went in did the recall about a month ago and started to smell a burning plastic faintly coming out of my car occasionally, didn't thought of anything until today smoke coming out of the hood and discover oil leaks every where... hope there are no further damage to the engine
Old 10-10-10, 11:15 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hazmat
went in did the recall about a month ago and started to smell a burning plastic faintly coming out of my car occasionally, didn't thought of anything until today smoke coming out of the hood and discover oil leaks every where... hope there are no further damage to the engine
which dealer did you have do the work?
Old 10-11-10, 12:15 AM
hazmat
Rookie

Originally Posted by replica
which dealer did you have do the work?
Lexus of chandler, just got the car couple months ago and have to redo the tint 4 times (part of the sale deal), and dead battery within 2 weeks (replaced), memory seat didn't work right after a month (connector loose) and now this...
This is reminding me of my 04 smg m3 where I seen the service manager more than my parents, really loosing confidence with it...
Old 10-11-10, 11:45 AM
kingphat
Driver School Candidate

All, I just had the valve spring work done. I notice that my MPG went from a pretty steady 20-21mpg city down to 16-17mpg city. What would cause this? It started this after the valve spring repair.... A little worried something was messed up.

THANKS
Old 10-11-10, 03:09 PM
shizmd
Driver School Candidate

Question approaching 70k

hi, my 06 IS350 is approaching 70k miles and i understand the engine is under a 70k mile warranty. I have not received this recall letter but based on some of the responses here, it seems wise to wait until experience of this repair goes up. Now if something happens to the engine after 70k miles where the valve spring is involved but not repaired , will the engine still be under warranty due to recall? thanks.
Old 10-13-10, 11:53 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone here go to Prestige Lexus to have their work done for this? Also I broke my center vent above the navigation do you think the lexus techs will make a note of this and void my navigation warranty? I am going to buy the part from sewell to fix it but it isn't a priority right now.

I am 50-50 on getting this valve spring issue fixed. I don't want any problems...Should I wait?
Old 10-13-10, 12:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
Anyone here go to Prestige Lexus to have their work done for this? Also I broke my center vent above the navigation do you think the lexus techs will make a note of this and void my navigation warranty? I am going to buy the part from sewell to fix it but it isn't a priority right now.
To deny mfg. warranty coverage on something the mfg must prove that something you did wrong caused the problem.

I'd certainly be interested to hear their story about how a broken AC vent caused a problem with your nav system.

(Now, if they take it apart to try and fix a nav problem and find cut up wires, that's another story)
Old 10-13-10, 01:01 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Had mine done & 60K service & my MPG went up as did my HP, well maybe not but the car does feel feel stronger & more ready to go. See how she does this weekend out at the track.
Old 10-16-10, 09:06 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My IS350 has 68k on the clock, took it in today for an oil change and there were 4 or 5 recalls that needed to be done so they are taking care of all of them. The valve spring was the one I as worried about. I didnt have any problems but I want it taken care of. I went to LexusDrivers.com registered with my VIN and the recalls poped up.

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)