IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Last day of factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10 | 09:42 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soupdawg
seriously...elbow dents. id feel like a huge retard bringing that up.
I have replaced entire door panels under warranty on new cars due to customers simply pressing too hard and cracking the panel, so I have seen this covered before...

Because of that, I would feel like a huge retard if I didn't ask...

Let me quote Albert Einstein, "He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who never asks a question is a fool for life."
Old 07-08-10 | 11:25 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Given all of the above, does anyone question why Lexus cars and service are expensive? All of us want to have our cars taken care of and have "perfect" carts, but the above seems ridiculous. To wait until your warranty is almost up to complain is just too much. And to complain about "elbow dents"???

No wonder dealers can be difficult to deal with for the rest of us.
Old 07-08-10 | 11:52 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I work at a dealership service department, and you don't even want to know what its like sometimes...but I have a very good relationship with the advisor over at Lexus, and he instructed me to do so (I think I already mentioned that a number of times)...so if it was cool with him and Lexus, then why not???
Old 07-08-10 | 12:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Good thread (complete with followup post), from somebody in the biz.
Old 07-08-10 | 05:11 PM
PandaBear
Driver

What are the TSBs on the start / ignition button and the rear view mirror about?
Old 07-08-10 | 09:04 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Good, informative thread.

It never hurts to ask your Lexus service advisor about things, as embarrassing as it is sometimes. Just remember, part of the cost of your car is paying for the embedded warranty. Might as well put it to use when you can.

Originally Posted by quick123
Ok...to clear this up a little bit, my car had the original TSB brake pads that were creating a huge amount of brake dust on the front wheels...the TSB covers the replacement of these pads with the "dust free" ones, but I also stated that I was getting vibration when braking, especially at higher speeds, so the advisor was cool and replaced the rotors under warranty due to them being below minimum spec (below 27mm)...keep in mind that this may not work for everyone, but it could not hurt to simply try!

Floormats being worn out due to your heal will never be a warranty item, as stated above...the thick rubber all-weather mats are replaced when the 9LG SSC is performed (if you have all-weather mats), but I don't have all-weather mats and I refused to have that recall performed...
You got lucky on those rotors. He definitely didn't have to do that for you. Always nice to have a good relationship with your service adviser.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
What are the TSBs on the start / ignition button and the rear view mirror about?
The rear view mirror TSIB is related to excessive vibration (to the point it's hard to see) with moderately loud music, or having the sunroof down. They replace the mirror with an entirely new one which is less prone to, but not immune from, vibrating.
Old 07-12-10 | 05:22 PM
peteran85
Driver School Candidate

i went in today trying to get the front brake tsib for excess dust on my 06. He said that the tsib was discounted for because people were complaining of squeaking noises? can anybody confirm this? i told him it was a tsib and he just shot back that it was discounted.

i also tried to get the navigation tsib and he just re-calibrated it? no new disk or anything.

not sure how to feel. haha.
Old 07-12-10 | 07:40 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

i say go to a diff dealer
Old 07-13-10 | 11:11 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteran85
i went in today trying to get the front brake tsib for excess dust on my 06. He said that the tsib was discounted for because people were complaining of squeaking noises? can anybody confirm this? i told him it was a tsib and he just shot back that it was discounted.

i also tried to get the navigation tsib and he just re-calibrated it? no new disk or anything.

My assumption is that dealer is being lazy and doesn't want to do the work. Go find another local Lexus dealer and don't go back to that one.

He also sounds like a dealer that I wouldn't want working on my car anyway.
Old 07-13-10 | 11:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
My assumption is that dealer is being lazy and doesn't want to do the work. Go find another local Lexus dealer and don't go back to that one.

He also sounds like a dealer that I wouldn't want working on my car anyway.
Agreed, now that I've had the low dust front pads for a year. I have experienced greatly reduced dust, no noise and excellent braking performance.
Old 07-14-10 | 02:10 AM
stephenn
Driver School Candidate

learned alot of things reading OP's post and the follow ups. good thread!
Old 07-14-10 | 11:21 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peteran85

Now that I think about it, there is also a Brake Squeak TSIB. Take that TSIB with you when you go to another Lexus dealer.