IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 09:06 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Or, better yet, wait for the 2011 headlight assembly which comes (supposedly) with integrated LED DRL's.
Old 07-06-10, 11:11 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
just get you a H11 hid kit dude. xenondepot sponsors this site, but ive had good results with ddm tuning hid kits also. xenondepot = $$$ ddm tuning = $. but the way i see it, you pay for what you get. ive never had a prob with my xenon depot, and on my ddm kits once in awhile i experience one side not turning on so i gotta flick the lights on and of and it will turn on, never with the xenondepot though.
sorry i have to disagree, i had xenondepot 5000k hid kit for almost 2 years now and mine been acting up for about 6 months now, sometime it wont start and i would have to turn it off and on a couple times to get both on and sometime have to wait a while and it'll magically turn it self on. though i admit it does not happen as often as my cheaper hid kit for my fog.

op, retro is the way to go if you're willing to put in the work and money, i'm currently retroing mine and ever since i seen how it look i hook for life.
Old 07-07-10, 07:55 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
sorry i have to disagree, i had xenondepot 5000k hid kit for almost 2 years now and mine been acting up for about 6 months now, sometime it wont start and i would have to turn it off and on a couple times to get both on and sometime have to wait a while and it'll magically turn it self on. though i admit it does not happen as often as my cheaper hid kit for my fog.

op, retro is the way to go if you're willing to put in the work and money, i'm currently retroing mine and ever since i seen how it look i hook for life.
Check the relay. I got the same problem on my previous retrofits. Usually, when the weather is extremely cold, cheap relay doesn't work properly. However, my relay at that time was a Bosch, one of the best relays out there. But, yeah check them out.
Old 07-07-10, 08:03 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

The thing that most people don't understand is that most HID kits are produced from the same handful of asian factories to the same standards. They are then sold in bulk to individual retailers who then add fancy labeling and packaging and charge a premium. I have always stuck by DDMTuning because their price is low and I have never had any problems with any of their equipment. I've had many HID kits, and all their connectors look the same, the ballasts appear virtually identical for the "normal sized" ones, and they all fail just as likely as any other non-OEM ballast.

Remember when big names used to charge 200+ for a HID kit, citing all sorts of marketing gimmick like "electronic control" and "digitally regulated"? Utter garbage, but people were just soaking it up.
Old 07-07-10, 08:21 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to do this retro fit because I want it. I have a hard time seeing when I drive now with the light set up and this would help a lot! I have done this set up like I said on my SUPRA for bout 1k aswell. You get what u pay for and I have seen this first hand on my Supra. Ell y I read that post u sent me the link too and was very nice info! I think I will email about that price and painting the housing Black as well.
Old 07-12-10, 08:12 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

aznpapaya - It sounds like the relay harness to me as well. Please send me a PM with your order number and I can provide you with some troubleshooting instructions.

HID kits are not created equally. If you guys do some searches on the board you will find that some members had problems with power steering and radio interference when installing low grade HID kits. We get samples sent to us on a regular basis and speaking from experience I can assure you that the manufacturing standards between factories are far from being the "same."

Steve
Old 07-12-10, 11:15 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ i thought that the problems with power steering and radio interference are a result of installation error, NOT aftermarket equipment quality.
Old 07-12-10, 11:58 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Not at all. Do a search on the board and you will find that it was a result of the kit not having proper EMI filters.
Old 07-12-10, 01:41 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think most HID DIYers followed muzzman's installation instruction

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html

the ballast on the left is strapped to the power steering ECU and then the ballast interfered with the ECU.
Old 07-16-10, 10:17 AM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELL Y
The thing that most people don't understand is that most HID kits are produced from the same handful of asian factories to the same standards. They are then sold in bulk to individual retailers who then add fancy labeling and packaging and charge a premium. I have always stuck by DDMTuning because their price is low and I have never had any problems with any of their equipment. I've had many HID kits, and all their connectors look the same, the ballasts appear virtually identical for the "normal sized" ones, and they all fail just as likely as any other non-OEM ballast.

Remember when big names used to charge 200+ for a HID kit, citing all sorts of marketing gimmick like "electronic control" and "digitally regulated"? Utter garbage, but people were just soaking it up.
like i said, i've used DDM kits before and have good luck with them. it just all depends. i think my Xenon Depot kit is built alot better then the DDM kit, but the DDM kit works. so its just based on opinion. But if you think about it, what HID system works the best and is most reliable? OEM. My 03 TL Type-S still has original HID from Honda, bulbs never gone out, ballasts have never failed, etc.
Old 07-16-10, 12:33 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

The problem is that the DDM kit that you purchased several years ago is not even close to the product that is being sold now. Many companies constantly try to lower their price on products so that they can compete based on price without any regard to product quality. As a result, the manufacturers look for ways to get their cost down and unfortunately quality is compromised as a result.

Steve