IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10 | 07:28 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Default HID Question!

So I just got my 06 IS350 and its a Base model without HID's. I really want to get HID's but really rather not get a Plug n Play unit. My question is that I see on the sewellparts.com site that they have Headlight housing with HID And without. Say I get the HID housing for my car do they just plug up to my wiring harness I have in there now or not? Does these come with the Bulbs? I really want to do a retro fit not a Plug in play cause I did it on my Supra and the result was awesome And I have been looking on the forums like crazy but getting all types of answers.Help! Thanks
Old 07-06-10 | 09:06 AM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

just get you a H11 hid kit dude. xenondepot sponsors this site, but ive had good results with ddm tuning hid kits also. xenondepot = $$$ ddm tuning = $. but the way i see it, you pay for what you get. ive never had a prob with my xenon depot, and on my ddm kits once in awhile i experience one side not turning on so i gotta flick the lights on and of and it will turn on, never with the xenondepot though.
Old 07-06-10 | 09:24 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

^+1. it easier to just run a hid kit.
Old 07-06-10 | 09:27 AM
taejin09
Lead Lap

retro will get you better results(cutoff and whatnot) but it will be very time consuming and expensive. Go with a H11 hid kit
Old 07-06-10 | 09:54 AM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by taejin09
retro will get you better results(cutoff and whatnot) but it will be very time consuming and expensive. Go with a H11 hid kit
Tchan1, E LLY, and I can vouch for that statement. IMO retrofits for our IS's is a pretty cool upgrade. and yeah its a tad pricy

Last edited by mahcah; 07-06-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-06-10 | 09:58 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

What Mahcah said. I am very happy that I did a retrofit and spent the extra money to make the car more complete. I started out with an H11 retro, which was absolutely disastrous. See the thread in my sig for comparison! Of course, if you don't really care about lighting that much, the costs will only be about 100 as compared to 500 at the least for a retro.
Old 07-06-10 | 10:36 AM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELL Y
What Mahcah said. I am very happy that I did a retrofit and spent the extra money to make the car more complete. I started out with an H11 retro, which was absolutely disastrous. See the thread in my sig for comparison! Of course, if you don't really care about lighting that much, the costs will only be about 100 as compared to 500 at the least for a retro.
Yes that pic is the reason why I want to Retro! I know it costs more I totally understand but its so nice. Did u guys do your retro kits yourself or can u recommend and place I can send them in too do it? Also u guys have side by side pics of Hid retro/Plug n Play on our IS's??
Old 07-06-10 | 10:49 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Click on the thread in my signature entitled :HID Headlight Retrofit Thread. I think my HID kit might have fit even shabbier than others on the forums, but you can click on that link and get a feel for my experience
Old 07-06-10 | 01:05 PM
prankster
Pole Position

I did my retrofit to my previous car, Accord, and it was extremely time consuming and you need extra patience. I don't know about retrofitting an ISx50 but at least for my accord I had to make a big hole on each housing so a TSX projector can fit. Then you need to, somehow, secure that sucker. Then, came the most tedious part of the project, aiming those projectors so they are aligned well. Not there yet, you gotta make sure to seal the housing right. Otherwise, moisture would be inside the housing.

In short, very tedious and not worth it you just want better looking light beams (IMHO). But different people have different motivation level. So I'm just saying... Good luck anyway.
Old 07-06-10 | 02:38 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

you can retro it but not the AFS.....
Old 07-06-10 | 04:33 PM
mahcah
Racer

It took me some time. If I did it straight, I'd say the whole process of doing a retro is ~20 hours straight for the 2IS. There was alot of bracket cutting and modification, mounting the projectors and then of course the aligning of the beams. Our headlights give very little room to work in.

I bought an extra set of headlights to take my time. My AFS is not hooked up, but it IS POSSIBLE to get them to work. It has been done.
Old 07-06-10 | 04:46 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

basically do u want to spend alot of time and money or not? lol. just go with what i said before, honestly ppl driving by you arent gonna say "OMG A RETROFIT ISx!!!" they cant tell, nor will ur passengers, all the see is HID lol
Old 07-06-10 | 06:43 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^doing mods is not about impressing others. it's suppose to be to make yourself happy.

if someone loves the look of a sharp cutoff, they should do it.
Old 07-06-10 | 06:53 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by jetfire
^doing mods is not about impressing others. It's suppose to be to make yourself happy.

If someone loves the look of a sharp cutoff, they should do it.
x2 ^^^^^^^^
Old 07-06-10 | 09:06 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Retrofits look sick, even though only 0.1% of people will notice the difference vs. OEM HIDs. I'd do it if I didn't already have the OEM HIDs, but it's obviously up to you.

Quick Reply: HID Question!