IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

If you want it done right.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 05:57 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you want it done right.....

So I got my oil changed 2 weeks ago at Jiffy Lube. Fast forward to this afternoon when I'm coming home from picking up some takeout and my oil light comes on as I make the turn up the hill to the house. Pull into the garage and it smells like burning and there's some smoke. I go upstairs to get a paper towel to check the dipstick, and it's pretty much dry, and the smoke had significantly increased. I look under the car, and what's left of the oil is just running out of the oil pan onto the garage floor. I take the SO's car and run down JL and talk to the manager who said he will personally come out at 9am tomorrow to look at it.
My question is what do you guys think I should reasonably expect to happen? I'm thinking I need to get them to pay for some sort of engine inspection? If you had to guess at how bad the engine may have ben hurt, what would you say?
Old 07-09-10, 06:02 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

I've heard of horror stories from places like Jiffy Lube and Meineke and that's more than enough for me to stay away from them...
Old 07-09-10, 06:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I saw Jiffy Lube I knew exactly how this story would end.

Sorry to hear that, but irregardless of how over priced dealers are, if you aren't doing it yourself that's what dealers are for.

The warranty will not cover it either. If you can, make sure JL pays for everything, in writing, guaranteeing future engine issues.
Old 07-09-10, 06:09 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikez
When I saw Jiffy Lube I knew exactly how this story would end.

Sorry to hear that, but irregardless of how over priced dealers are, if you aren't doing it yourself that's what dealers are for.
Yea, but the nearest dealer is 2 hours away, so that's not really an option for a routine oil change
Old 07-09-10, 06:26 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never ever take my car to Places like those, I take it to a local Trust worthy mechanic and he does all the work for me. You should find a local Mechanic, there should be many near where you live.

Also, call a local Mechanic to have him inspect your engine as 2nd opinion, and see if you can hold JL liable for all the damage caused.
Old 07-09-10, 06:26 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the nearest dealership is that far away, then you should start changing the oil yourself. Or maybe you could try a Toyota dealership if there's one close by.

JL isn't much better then an oil change you would get from Wal-Mart.
Old 07-09-10, 06:29 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

OK, so we've covered the whole don't go to JL thing.

Any ideas on what I can reasonably expect tomorrow or how much it may have been damaged.
Old 07-09-10, 10:09 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends how long you were driving the car and how long it wasn't properly lubricated. It's entirely possible no permanent damage was caused.

I would demand a full refund and then ask that they tow the car (on a flatbed) to the dealership, and pay for them to change the oil and check for any possible damage.
Old 07-09-10, 10:09 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bring it to a mechanic to check. don't trust jiffy lube's inspection.

next time DIY. all you need is an oil pan, floor jack, jack stands and 2 pieces of wood for chocking.
Old 07-09-10, 10:12 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jiffy Lube Scam-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Old 07-09-10, 10:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point of the video is, you shouldn't expect anything special just because the "manager" is going to see your car in the morning. Some Jiffy Lube managers have been shown to be just as corrupt or more corrupt than lower level 'lackeys.'

This isn't an isolated incident. From a statistical standpoint, the problem appears to be pretty widespread. In order to officially apply the statistics discussed in the video, they would have had to properly prepare a truly "random sample" that is representative of the entire Jiffy Lube population. The statistics aren't robust enough to fly in a top-tier scientific journal, certainly, because they did not investigate a truly "random" sample of the Jiffy Lube population. But, the statistics are good enough (with their "semi"-random sampling paradigm) to warrant avoiding Jiffy Lube (and EZ Lube) all together.
Old 07-09-10, 10:21 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow scandalous!
Old 07-09-10, 10:21 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
bring it to a mechanic to check. don't trust jiffy lube's inspection.

next time DIY. all you need is an oil pan, floor jack, jack stands and 2 pieces of wood for chocking.
You need a special proprietary tool from Toyota/Lexus too right?

I buy my own oil and have the dealer do it, mostly so it'll show up in the service history. And it makes it easier for me to nag about TSIB work when I have a history of going to the dealership for service work.
Old 07-09-10, 10:50 PM
ZinikLex21
Rookie

I've heard more than enough horror stories from places like JL! I would make them pay for the dealership to do an inspection and pay for any damages. As well as a rental car while your car is at the dealership. It will probably be like pulling teeth to get that from them though.
Old 07-09-10, 10:56 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you loose your drain plug? When the dummy light comes on you should stop immediately. The smoke part does not sound too good but maybe was the oil hitting the exhaust system.

Quick Reply: If you want it done right.....