IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 hard "jerk" when put in D

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 07:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
The only way to not have this "hard jerk"....LOL, sorry....is to let the transmission fluid warm up. You can always have weird behavior from the transmission if the fluid is cold. My suggestion is to simply let the car idle for a minute or two...
Which as mentioned the owners manual explicitly states is not required.

Idling is bad for a car.

Start the engine, put on your seatbelt, and drive it. Driving a car is the best way to warm it up. As mentioned, keep rpms under 3k or so until the temp gauge goes up.
Old 07-10-10, 08:03 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These engines are direct injected. The initial cold idle RPM is much higher than what most people including myself are use to. So that is my guess as to what people would complain or have concerns about it.

I had the brake dust TSB done too. The new pads seem to be less "sticky" then the OEM dust storm type. By "sticky" I mean less intial bite. I just remember to press the breaks a bit harder then with other cars. This aviods the car jumping forward, lurching etc...

It's your car, drive it like you want too.

Last edited by Gaugster; 07-10-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-10-10, 08:05 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

i usually let mind idle for a minute or two until I hear the engine rev drop a bit.
Old 07-10-10, 08:14 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

well...I really don't care how I warm up the car, but I'm more concerned about this harsh jerk when I shift the gear in D. Since it doesn't happen when it's warmed up so i'm gonna try to let it sit for a while before I drive. If that doesn't help then... dealer time...? Or is this a normal thing...? I just wanna know if this is a common problem because it seems like it has happened to some of u and it didn't to some others.
Old 07-10-10, 08:22 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GFM2Fitty
well...I really don't care how I warm up the car, but I'm more concerned about this harsh jerk when I shift the gear in D. Since it doesn't happen when it's warmed up so i'm gonna try to let it sit for a while before I drive. If that doesn't help then... dealer time...? Or is this a normal thing...? I just wanna know if this is a common problem because it seems like it has happened to some of u and it didn't to some others.
I would say screw it and just take it to the dealer. If anything it will give you piece of mind and even if they tell you they couldn't hear it it will be on record that you took it in. If this happens take in again in a few weeks and complain again. This way there are multiple occurrences of you taking it in before warranty runs out.
Old 07-10-10, 08:36 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Sounds like a plan. I only have 5k left before the warranty is over...
Old 07-10-10, 10:42 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-J
Putting your car into gear while it is cold (1400rpm) is pretty much like neutral dropping it, very bad for tranny, just let it warm up a minute or two. Pretty much let the RPMs drop to under 1000rpm and you'll be good.
Do you have any proof of this? This flies in the face of what every mechanic and even the dealership has told me. And we all know the dealer always errs on the side of caution (e.g. oil changes every 5K miles).
Old 07-10-10, 11:40 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Which as mentioned the owners manual explicitly states is not required.

Idling is bad for a car.

Start the engine, put on your seatbelt, and drive it. Driving a car is the best way to warm it up. As mentioned, keep rpms under 3k or so until the temp gauge goes up.
Just checked the owner's manual, and it states nothing about not requiring warming up, actually it states nothing about it at all. It does state "not to race a cold engine" on page 96, which translates into letting the oil warm up to prevent internal engine wear. Please tell me where it "explicity" states it is not required, but then ask a mechanic why an automatic transmission would do this when cold.

"Idling is bad for a car." How? Do you turn your car off when you stop at a red light? Idling doesn't hurt anything, engines just put out more emissions at idle and they are more efficient at higher RPMs. This is why we have an EGR system, but the OP is about a feeling from the transmission. So, if idling is bad for a car, then why don't our cars idle at 3,000 RPM?

"Keep rpms under 3k or so until the temp guage goes up." And where is this transmission temperature gauge? Or are you thinking that the engine coolant gauge tells you how warm the transmission fluid is? Engine coolant and transmission fluid warm at different rates, so the coolant gauge is not relative.

If you have ever been a mechanic, or if you have any experience working on cars, you know that automatic transmissions always work better when warm and act up when cold. The OP even stated that this condition only happens when its cold, and doesn't happen when its warm, so what does that tell you? What do you think the dealership will tell him? Idling is bad for a car?
Old 07-10-10, 12:15 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Myth #1: The engine should be warmed up before driving. Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before driving away.

Myth #2: Idling is good for your engine. Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage your engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust systems. Fuel is only partially combusted when idling because an engine does not operate at its peak temperature. This leads to the build up of fuel residues on cylinder walls that can damage engine components and increase fuel consumption.

Source: http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html
Old 07-10-10, 12:22 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

More articles/links:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Should-You...ng?&id=1975316

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r235...her-Dont-Do-It

I couldn't find any articles that say you need to warm up your car for 1-2 minutes or more. 20-30 seconds at most (in the winter), and many say even that's not necessary since the advent of fuel injected cars.

Anyone on the other side of the debate care to share their sources for why our cars need 1-2 minutes of warm-up time?
Old 07-10-10, 12:33 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A car is like a human body. Once we get up we have our own routines before we get started right??! so does your car! even with a 1 to 5 minute warm up is better then nothing. its like when we pump 91 or 93 octane, we have to continuously inputting the same fluids into our cars.. any unusual product into our cars or body, we will only know and define whats whats wrong. like doctor checkups, just bring it into the dealership to have the problem resolve. lol
Old 07-10-10, 12:44 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Wow, the problem is not whether you are warming up your car are not, because the bottom line is you DO NOT need to, and it is bad for your car. Please don't listen to anyone that says otherwise.

The problem is your transmission mounts. They are worn and need to be replaced, which is why you feel the jerk when putting the gear in D.
Old 07-10-10, 12:49 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

http://autorepair.about.com/b/2009/0...r-your-car.htm

This is the second link on Google on the same topic It states the exact opposite.

Also, do a Google search for "automatic transmission problems when cold" and see what you find....

We will always get different answers on the internet to the same question, all I can do is give out my own technical knowledge and my experience of being a mechanic.

Back to the OP question, I suggest at least try and let the car idle and warm up for about 1-2 minutes...if that works, then great ...if not, then go to the dealership.

Last edited by quick123; 07-10-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 01:01 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SGMIS3
Wow, the problem is not whether you are warming up your car are not, because the bottom line is you DO NOT need to, and it is bad for your car. Please don't listen to anyone that says otherwise.

The problem is your transmission mounts. They are worn and need to be replaced, which is why you feel the jerk when putting the gear in D.
Nobody is saying that you HAVE to warm up these cars, we are just trying to help someone with an issue, and if letting the car warm up fixes it, then that would be a cheap and easy fix.

If the issue is with the transmission mount, then why would it only happen on the initial cold start? If the mount is bad, wouldn't it do this every time?
Old 07-10-10, 01:14 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

http://autorepair.about.com/b/2009/0...r-your-car.htm

This is the second link on Google on the same topic It states the exact opposite.
Huh? That article says you don't have to idle your car, which is exactly what I'm saying. It says idling won't do any harm, but at the same time that it's unnecessary and wasteful. I'm asking for an article that says you SHOULD idle your car. I couldn't find any.

Back to the OP question, I suggest at least try and let the car idle and warm up for about 1-2 minutes...if that works, then great ...if not, then go to the dealership.
This could just be masking the true problem though. Wouldn't the OP rather fix the problem rather than find a workaround? That's like telling someone who hears clunking sound when turning left to just always turn right instead.

Quick Reply: IS250 hard "jerk" when put in D