Things that annoy you about your car

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 03:13 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's been said but I havent read every single message from first page:

My only 2 issues:

Where the power adapter input thingy is inside the center counsel. I have my integrated radar/laser jammer mounted where the ashtray was and it uses the power from that wire. All i have to use is the one in the center counsel. First you have to leave the arm rest up if something is plugged in and I always have to have something plugged in. Not enough room for an adapter for 2 which what I'd like. Eventually something heavy will come down on the arm rest and mess up that input . Now I have to jiggle around my cell phone charger or ipod charger to get it to pick up power. And then eventually My armrest snapped so I either have to completely remove it (actually better than having it rest up at an angle) or slip it back into it's grooves.

Second: My nav never recognizes half of the street names I say. I have no speech disorder. Even simple names it will be way WAY off. Unless it's something incredibly common (park avenue etc. etc.) then it will at best take a few tries of saying it faster or slower for it to hear it. Often I just have to pull over and type it.

That's about it and well, it's a lot less complaints than I have with any other car I've driven and I rent (often nicer models) a lot. Often, especially when given a standard model midsized car I'm severely disappointed to the point where I cant believe how cheap and crappy some cars, not cheap cars, are. I got stuck with a pontiac g6 (not expensive) a while back and boy did it blow.

Maybe someone can offer some advice on those two things?

Last edited by patrick323; 08-17-10 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-17-10, 08:15 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

I hate how the seats on dark interior scratch so easily....

I hate how your not allowed to do alot of things only because the cars moving.

I hate the seat belt beeping noise

I hate how the nav dont recognize every street i put in.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

IS >>>>>>> any car in its class.......... thats why i got it.
Old 08-18-10, 02:18 AM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The HVAC source control of INSIDE/OUTSIDE has a mind of its own.

When it is NOT in AUTO the HVAC system should not interfere with the driver's choice of INSIDE/OUTSIDE air source selection. In AUTO, it would be acceptable for automatic control over that function.

Hey not so bad that this is the ONLY function that bugs me! I guess the Germans cater more to the control freak in this regard--my old BMW allowed complete control of the HVAC if I so chose.
Old 08-18-10, 02:52 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
The whole 250 vs 350 thing.. we're all in the IS family. No need to hate.

What annoys the crap out of me is every time I dry my car after a wash, there's water dripping out of some groove or crevice. The trunk opening, around the rear mirrors, etc.

And every time I forget to untilt my sunroof, I have to push the start button twice to bring it down again. Damn car. I freaking hate it.

Just kidding!
the secret is an electric leaf blower. i get no drips from the usual spots(mirrors, gas tank lid, door handles, trunk.)

Originally Posted by tom_s
When it is NOT in AUTO the HVAC system should not interfere with the driver's choice of INSIDE/OUTSIDE air source selection. In AUTO, it would be acceptable for automatic control over that function.

Hey not so bad that this is the ONLY function that bugs me! I guess the Germans cater more to the control freak in this regard--my old BMW allowed complete control of the HVAC if I so chose.
i got the dealer to change the setting for me where it remembers my last choice for fresh/recirculated.

i always keep it on fresh air though.
Old 08-18-10, 12:40 PM
jacob7017
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

I hate the seat belt beeping noise
Dajon, the seatbelt beeping noise can be turned off. Can't remember the exact instructions, but search the forum - they're not hard to find. Takes about 30 seconds to disable the beeping. You'll love it.
Old 08-18-10, 01:12 PM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

Ohh thanks alot. I found out.
Old 08-18-10, 02:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bird poop can stain dark metallic paint.
Old 08-19-10, 06:39 AM
OH Nasty
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Bird poop can stain dark metallic paint.
Seriously? That's no good right there.
Old 08-19-10, 09:01 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. And you can't get it out. Looks like a white haze where the droppings were. Clay works somewhat but the clearcoat is damaged.
Old 08-19-10, 09:10 AM
OH Nasty
Driver

The only thing that annoys me is I can't drive my IS with my knee. In my old Benz when I needed to drive with my knee for a minute it was suprisingly easy, but the IS is a different story. Allthough its probably just as well, because last time I checked knee-driving wasn't that safe.
Old 08-19-10, 09:38 AM
netsrac
Rookie

I agree with a lot of what people do not like, my BIGGEST PET PEEVE is

When the TPMS warning comes on, it does not tell you which tire is low
Warning light stays on in info screen until you fill up tire. (which I have to check all 4)
You CAN NOT Easily turn off the TPMS ( I have read somewhere you can cut wires ground them yadda yadda yadda)
Dealer and online stores charge arm and a leg for new sensors, (mind you found on ebay for $52 for 4)
Need to bring car to dealer to have new TPMS programmed.

Since I bought my IS 2 years ago, the TPMS has always been a problem.

I am a bit old school, I walk around my car before heading out and if I see a tire is low, I fill it up.
Old 08-19-10, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have never had a problem with TPMS on my IS350. It works exactly as designed in my car. I find the TPMS system in my Lexus and Mercedes cars to be helpful, useful and functional.

I am old, lol, but not old school I guess. Visually checking tire pressure will only tell you if it's 15+ pounds underinflated, too late as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-19-10, 10:16 AM
netsrac
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have never had a problem with TPMS on my IS350. It works exactly as designed in my car. I find the TPMS system in my Lexus and Mercedes cars to be helpful, useful and functional.

I am old, lol, but not old school I guess. Visually checking tire pressure will only tell you if it's 15+ pounds underinflated, too late as far as I'm concerned.
I do not see how it is helpful, useful and functional when all it does is clutter up your dash when a tire is low.

It does not tell you which tire is low, how much pressure each tire has.

Maybe it is different in the 350? I know in our $15k Pontiac company van it tells you which tire is low and how much pressure each tire has.
Old 08-19-10, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by netsrac
I do not see how it is helpful, useful and functional when all it does is clutter up your dash when a tire is low.

It does not tell you which tire is low, how much pressure each tire has.

Maybe it is different in the 350? I know in our $15k Pontiac company van it tells you which tire is low and how much pressure each tire has.
Yes, I would prefer to actually see tire pressure by tire on dash readout.

But my current Lexus (07) and Mercedes (08) TPMS is helpful, useful and functional because it only comes on with a warning when one tire is at least 5 pounds underinflated, as expected. I have had no false warnings.

I keep a small $100 compressor and a tire gauge in my garage for adjusting tire pressure (cold) before the car is driven.
Old 08-19-10, 10:35 AM
SB350
Instructor

1) There seems to be a lack of clearance between the passenger seat and the pillar for the seatbelt. Whenever a passenger gets out of my car, I always have to tuck the seatbelt back between the seat and the wall.

2) The paint accepts rock chips very easily.

3) “AFS Off” light randomly comes on every once in a while. I wish I didn’t have AFS.

Quick Reply: Things that annoy you about your car