IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Things that annoy you about your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 12:25 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize I'm probably alone here, but I can't stand the chrome emblem on the steering wheel or the shiny gear shift. At dusk/night it's fine, but during the day it reflects so much sunlight that with my light-sensitive eyes it can almost be a driving hazard, if not something that just annoys the **** out of me. Most cars have a chrome emblem here but not that's as big or has as many relfective angles as this one. I can't tint the winshield in NC and that's where most of the sunlight is coming from that hits the steering wheel. Thankfully, unless I'm turning, my left forearm tends to sit in a position between the light and the emblem. The shiftknob bling isn't as bad but I would rather the shifter be just all leather.

Wish they gave me a graphite/black emblem option or better yet for all metal trim.

That's literally the only thing that annoys me about this car, and that's saying a lot. Most new cars have more things that annoy me.
Old 07-11-10, 01:06 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

no auto folding mirrors -_-
no rear leg room
weak paint on our cars
no tuning
Old 07-11-10, 01:13 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lack of engine mods of course..

and the annoying CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!
especially when there's nothing wrong with my engine!
just missing 1 TPMS sensor!
Old 07-11-10, 01:21 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
You want more leg room in the rear? Buy a bigger car. It is a sport 4-door, not a family sedan.
Lets stay on topic and keep defensive posturing to a minimum, please?
This isn't meant to inflame anyone.

It's just a list for prospective buyers to see.
A owner may have felt an unusable back seat was no big deal until they actually grew into the car and discovered it was more important than they first thought.
Although we understand your point, I consider it a valid item to be listed if they choose.

All cars have annoyances, and so far the Lex seems to have very few...

peace
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 07-11-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 01:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

1) Review mirror and steering wheel buttons not illuminated.
2) Tight trunk space w/o rear seats folding down.
3) Lack of any exhaust bass.
4) 50% of center stack is angled away from driver.
5) Can't view outside temp. while viewing other functions.
6) Not enough power from the 250.
7) Rediculously high idle upon start-up.
8) Manual "gear" shifts take way too long.
9) Dumbo sideview mirrors block the view of pedestrians when making a left turn.
10) Door handles sometimes take too long to sense your hand.
11) Lack of one-touch sunroof that opens it all the way (not just 3/4).
12) Power window switches not lit bright enough at night.
13) Radio display washes out in sunlight and is too far away from driver's view. Should be all the way on the left instead of all the way on the right.
14) Tramlining with stock tires.
15) Can't rotate tires = shorter life = more expenses.
16) Left tailpipe tip is crooked on most IS's.
Old 07-11-10, 01:52 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing. This doesn't necessarily apply to me because I have a 2009 model, but for 2006 IS350s, I would find the lack of a traction control button to be annoying.

Sure, you can turn off traction control for the 2006 IS350 using the pedal dance, but it's relatively more time consuming.

Obviously the issue of trac off is important because it's well known that the IS350 achieves peak performance from 0 with traction control off. All of those 0 to 60 times measured in ~4.9 seconds - you can only achieve those numbers with trac off.

With traction control on, the IS350 goes from a high 4 second car (0 to 60) to a low to mid 5 second car (0 to 60) (Source: Road and Track, Car and Driver, Edmunds).

Hell, Edmunds knocked off almost an entire second (.9 seconds to be exact) from 0 to 60 times with traction control off. That's quite the difference.

How to turn traction control off using the pedal dance for 2006 models for those who don't know (although I'm sure most owners are already well aware of this) -

http://www.lexustech.org/VDIM.htm

"The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excess wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the dash button, the system automatically comes back on after exceeding 30 mph. The overly protective Toyota designers probably did this to reduce our insuance rates, but it's just no fun. If Toyota wants to really compete with BMW, then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving.

If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Toyota programmed a work-around. This "cheat code" will disable the VDIM until the car is truned off.

1. Start the car with the parking brake on.

2. Keeping the parking brake on, push (or tap) the foot brake twice

3. Keeping the foot brake down, push (or tap) the parking brake twice

4. Repeat untill the sliding car warning light appears on the dash

Normally, only two cycles (foot - parking - foot - parking) are required. With practice, you can disable the VDIM in under 4 seconds."

And here's a video explaining what to do for the visual types -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMN-W...layer_embedded
Old 07-11-10, 02:06 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

its annoying how expensive it is to mod my carlol..
Old 07-11-10, 02:15 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only thing i don't like is the lack of tunable ECU. think JB3. or a factory forced induction like the TRD supercharger.

also, i don't get why the rear fender liner is fuzzy instead of smooth plastic like the front. makes cleaning a bigger hassle.

everything else, i love. lack of rear folding makes hauling a snowboard a bit more tedious but i like more rigid body.
Old 07-11-10, 02:34 PM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

i wish there was a light under the hood....
Old 07-11-10, 02:38 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

steering wheel jumps over bumps :@
Old 07-11-10, 02:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm... what annoys me about my car~

1. the stares i get from other DRIVERS on the road, they should be watching where they're going not looking at my car~ so i guess, how nice my car is?

2. in parking lots how i have to park so far from the entrance to any store/mall due to fear of door dings~ so i guess, how nice my car is?

3. when i'm driving i don't ever have time to look at hotties in other cars/walking on the sidewalk because i'm too worried about running into a some pothole or keeping an eye out for careless drivers, i don't wanna curb/damage my rims or anything else~ so i guess, how nice my car is?

4. how i HAVE TO spend 1hr cleaning my car before EVERYTIME i drive her, can't be rolling in a dirty car~ so i guess, how nice my car is?

i can go on n on
Old 07-11-10, 03:41 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

supposedly the f sport sways will fix this.. but body roll is crappppp.
Old 07-11-10, 03:54 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
supposedly the f sport sways will fix this.. but body roll is crappppp.
Why F-sport? isn't the nose on an F sport significantly heavier? Seems using bars not designed for our weight characteristics may not be the right choice?

V
Old 07-11-10, 04:52 PM
zojirushi
Driver

-Random rattles and squeaks. Mainly behind the center console vents and squeaks by the doors.

-ML subwoofer is weak and blows easily. Mine are blown and I think I'd rather replace it with something aftermarket. Does anyone know the correct size and type of subwoofer that can be a direct drop in?

-Cheap or low quality seating cushion foam? After 23.5k miles on my car, the seat foam has compressed causing the leather to look dilapidated and stretched. Is this a common problem with Lexus's? I've peeked into other Lexus owner's cars and noticed the same type of stretching on their leathers. I was thinking of bringing in my car to the dealership to see if they will be willing to rectify it through warranty. But if it's a common issue, it may be wiser to find a reputable upholstery company and have them improve the seat cushioning.

-Strange loose sensation from the gas pedal. If lightly rest my foot on the gas pedal and shift left and right, I can feel it move around and it produces a clicking sound.

Last edited by zojirushi; 07-11-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 05:20 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dashboard rattles! My car started to get it and it's out of warranty. I just bump the music now...

Quick Reply: Things that annoy you about your car