IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Things that annoy you about your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 09:33 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things that annoy you about your car

I have seen this thread in other forums, and found it amazingly informative, as it side steps all the warm fuzzies of "I love my car" and points out some of the more repetitive and sometimes simple problems owners have encountered through the years.
It also lets you comment on options you miss from past cars that you feel should have been present on a car of this class.

This type thread often became part of a regular help link to prospective buyers giving them a chance to see a little of the dark side, and help make a smarter decision over all...

My annoyances so far:
1.) No decent "puddle lighting" for each door
2.) Grocery hooks in trunk are a joke
3.) Factory ML Subwoofer seems to blow easily?
4.) Not all user controls are illuminated (seat memory buttons, controls mounted to steering wheel/column.)
5.) No fold down rear seats
6.) Lack of interior storage
7.) Rear leg room

Others?
Old 07-11-10, 09:36 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing that bothers me is the lack of tuning options.
Old 07-11-10, 09:44 AM
pli
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. leg room in the back. (doesnt bother me too much because i dont sit in the back except for the times when im cramming people in the car and forces me to adjust my seat forward!)
2. blind spots in the front. )pillar blocking. almost hit a few people crossing streets whiile im turning.)
3. handling on my is350 (but problem will be solved when my rear sways and coilovers come in.)
4. the squeaks in dashboard and seats. (got the dashboard done, but warranty was over by the time seats started squeaking..)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-03-10 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-11-10, 09:45 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things that annoy you.

NAGGERS!

kidding, I'm happy with my car. Wished I had black interior though.
Old 07-11-10, 09:54 AM
racerboi07
Rookie

squeaks!! front and back!!
Old 07-11-10, 10:14 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pli
1. leg room in the back. (doesnt bother me too much because i dont sit in the back except for the times when im cramming people in the car and forces me to adjust my seat forward!)
2. blind spots in the front. )pillar blocking. almost hit a few people crossing streets whiile im turning.)
3. handling on my is350 (but problem will be solved when my rear sways and coilovers come in.)
4. the squeaks in dashboard and seats. (got the dashboard done, but warranty was over by the time seats started squeaking..gay)
Oh, the problem will be more than "solved" with F sport rear sways. The difference will blow your mind. Be sure to do a few runs on your local twisties before you have your sways installed

Here's my major annoyance with the car - say you're at a stop sign at a T intersection waiting to make a 90 degree turn onto a major road. Say there is a slight bump/dimple in the road which forces you to ease onto the accelerator while making this 90 degree turn.

Virtually 100% of the time, the car will, of course, start you in 1st gear, but somewhere through the bump/dimple and turn, the car will shift you into 2nd gear far too fast for my liking.

The result? Once you've completed this 90 degree turn and you are ready to accelerate, you end off accelerating in 2nd gear if you ease onto the pedal for maximum throttle.

If, on the other hand, you are well below the limiting speed for 1st gear (~36 MPH) after you make this turn (and you went over the bump/dimple, the car put you prematurely into 2nd gear) and you stomp on the pedal as fast as possible, then chances are high that the car will shift you from 2nd gear into 1st gear.

Problem solved right? Not really, because I still find this scenario to be slightly annoying. I don't like having to deal with the transmission delay of shifting from 2nd to 1st gear.

Fortunately, this is where S mode/paddle gear limiters work like a dream. It is entirely possible to use S mode to completely eliminate this problem. One can ease through the bump/dimple 90 degree turn through 1st gear and then rocket off in the remainder of 1st gear (and then have the computer automatically shift to 2nd, 3rd, etc. of course) by limiting the maximum gear to "1" temporarily through this turn and immediately raising the limit once you've completed the turn, but only after going WOT.

I've detailed this all in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ool-proof.html
Old 07-11-10, 10:22 AM
maxframes
Driver School Candidate

1.Lack of engine tunability
2.Lack of engine tunability
3.'
4."
5."
6."
7. Rear leg room
Old 07-11-10, 10:23 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Automatic Transmission.
Old 07-11-10, 10:25 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Biggest thing that annoys me is the stock wheel gap in the front compared to the back (w/ luxury package)
I compare this car to all other stock BMW, Mercdz, audi.. etc, and they all have much less wheel gap from the factory... Yea I could fix it but I bought this car for the comfort and speed, I've lowered other cars Ive owned in the past and I just hate the feel of a lowered car now that Im older... oh well

- wish it had fold down rear seats
- Louder factory exhaust sound
Old 07-11-10, 10:27 AM
kannon
Pole Position

Rattle from passenger side door starting at 40 MPH
rattle from passenger side windshield starting at 65 MPH
no fold down rear seats, I miss those badly
Lack of head room(though I'm 6'7" and knew this when I bought the car but I liked the Lexus so much I ignored this)
Lack of power mods, though this is good for my wallet as engine power mods are a slippery slope, always spend far more than I planned
Old 07-11-10, 10:31 AM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

the only thing that annoy me is that i dont have money to spend on it.
Old 07-11-10, 10:32 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

1. Cant tune it
2. Its boring at its current speed. Racing 130mph cars just isnt enough anymore
Old 07-11-10, 11:45 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

To get to something meatier. . . . the increasing number of reports (including my 250) of vibration at idle in D unless idle kicks up due to A/C or lights on. Lexus Corporate is attributing to carbon buildup starting at low mileage (mine at 10K). It makes the car feel very "un-Lexus" like. The fix they have a TSB for which includes the top engine cleaning does not work for very long. It appears to me they don't have a real fix and are thus saying it is "within factory specifications'. I could deal with the rattles and noises and tight back seat (which I would hope people would figure out before they buy it) if the mechanical issues could be resolved.
Old 07-11-10, 11:51 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CleverName
My annoyances so far:

7.) Rear leg room

Others?
How are people going to complain about not enough 'rear leg room'? That is something you knew when you bought the car. The IS isn't made to be a family sized car to fit 5 people comfortably, and that is something you should have been clearly aware of when buying the car.

I'm willing to haul my friends around in my car, but they know when they ask me to drive that the rear leg room is smaller and they have to be willing to deal with it if they want me to drive. It is the exact same way with my friends MB C350.

You want more leg room in the rear? Buy a bigger car. It is a sport 4-door, not a family sedan.
Old 07-11-10, 11:58 AM
DarkIs250
Rookie

My only concern is, in 2013/4 will be a new model IS, and I don't want to get emotionally attached to the current 2010 I have lol.

Quick Reply: Things that annoy you about your car