600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks to hear... glad your okay..
Old 07-13-10, 11:58 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

wait...didnt you say you got hit with glass from the rear windshield? the pics show a fully in tact rear windshield and it sure as hell doesnt look like the person that hit you from behind was going anywhere near 40mph...cuz that would've destroyed your car. it wouldve destroyed your rear bumper, crash bar, trunk, both quarter panels, shattered windsheild, , shattered lights, possible frame damage and airbags wouldve definitely went off...somethings not right here...

from the pictures, the rear bumper shows just as much damage as the front bumper but it was taken off and placed on the trunk.
Old 07-13-10, 12:03 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it matter Chris? dude got hurt so it doesnt matter what speed it was.

plus the girl probably slammed on her brakes, causing a nosedive which mightve reduced the amount of damage. even though it may have been a truck, mightve went from 40mph>20-15mph upon impact.
Old 07-13-10, 12:13 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you also get some extra money from the insurance due for your back and neck pain. Seek a lawyer and see what he can do for you. I know people that got into an accident and they were unable to work for a couple of months. I wouldn't be surprise if their insurance company settle and pay an extra 10K for your trouble.
Old 07-13-10, 12:47 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

Any pics of the car??
Old 07-13-10, 12:47 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

glad to hear you're okay!

Loss of income is nice to recover, but it's taxable so you will have to see if it's worth it to recover.
Old 07-13-10, 01:02 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

you will have to go after her.
The police report should have her insurance info.

Unfortunately, i think the guys you were pushed into are going to come after you. Don't know what the laws are like in San Diego but you may need an attorney, at least because of the pysical injuries.
Old 07-13-10, 01:42 PM
Salty250
Rookie

damn dude that sucks. Glad to hear your alright though.
Old 07-13-10, 03:37 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Sorry to hear. I also got into an accident over 2 years ago, and with a bad back already, I was in a lot of pain also. I was told to contact a lawyer, and go after the other persons insurance since it was completely their fault. I eventually did since I missed work, spent about $1k in rental cars (3+ weeks to fix) which was reimbursed through the other insurance company, and got about 1/3 of the total settlement (lawyer 1/3, doctor 1/3) which is untaxed since it was pain and suffering. Was the few thousand I got few the settlement worth the pain, and the fact that my car now had frame damage and lost $~2k in trade in value? Hell no.

Originally Posted by EJC
Unfortunately, i think the guys you were pushed into are going to come after you. Don't know what the laws are like in San Diego but you may need an attorney, at least because of the pysical injuries.
As far as I know, it's almost always the last person's fault so they would all go after her/truck owners insurance.
Old 07-13-10, 03:51 PM
Karlson
Driver

Originally Posted by EJC

They would go after the person at fault, not a victim.
Old 07-13-10, 03:58 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EJC

Ignore posts like this.

First, IANAL.

Second, your insurance should take care of your claim. You did file a claim, right?

They will get reimbursement from the girl who hit you, or if not, sue her insurance and/or her for it. Your insurance should foot the bill for any medical expense, rental car, etc, until they are reimbursed by the at-fault party's insurer. You might have a problem in that this girl hit 3 cars. It's VERY VERY unlikely she has the coverage limits to cover all the damage to each vehicle and your personal injuries. In this case, your insurance would kick in and pay, or you can sue her. (Assuming you have these endorsements and appropriate coverage limits on your policy. If not, let this be a lesson as to why you should have them, and please tell those you care about why they should have them as well.)

You have proof in the police report you did not cause the accident, so you have absolute defense against the people in front of you trying any litigation against you.

You could consult a lawyer if you'd like to persue additional damages. For someone smashing into you at 40 mph and hitting 3 cars it is probably warranted, especially considering you were put on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.

What you should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO is sign anything stating you are fine and release all future liability from her or her insurer. If you, down the road, start getting chronic back or neck pain, you can always sue at that time for medical expenses.

Sorry this happened to you, and good luck.

P.S. You can probably get reimbursement for acupuncture if you try real hard. Physical therapy is *much* better for you, and for sure you could get coverage for if a doctor prescribed it to you as a result of injuries related to the crash. You will probably need a lawyer for this, though.

Last edited by Infra; 07-13-10 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about such a dangerous crash. Get well soon.
Old 07-13-10, 04:12 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

i agree with 'Raralith'

i say... get a lawyer asap. let lawyer handle everything. insurance will pay your car, hospital bills, etc but what about your pain? you might have some serious disks.

if i was you, i would get 34k instead of 24k + damaged car becuz it will never be the same car.

Last edited by eternal07; 07-14-10 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 05:05 PM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Sorry to hear bro, do get well soon.

Btw, you selling the rims
Old 07-13-10, 05:54 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey just had similar accident (not at fault) a month ago..

First your insurance company should pay you settlement for your car minus deductable, then if it is decided you are not at fault, they will get the money back from the other party's insurance company, and you will get your deductable back.

Medical is separate.. do not settle until you are recovered 100%, in CA you don't have to settle for 2 years. Once you signed it off and 3 months later you have some complications you are on your own. I found chiropractors will want to become your best friend and sign you up for 3 times a week for 8 months eaily.. of course do get your primary care provider to check everything out first.

Some people asked me to hire a lawyer but I really think that's if there are some uncertainly or if the other party start pointing fingers.

Quick Reply: I got rear ended sigh