IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I got rear ended sigh

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 07:29 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

34k for the car is pretty good after u take off all ur mods.

the first thing you should do is let your insurance know of the accident. THEN, get yourself a lawyer, they will take care of you from rental cars, paper work, and chiropractor. Sit back and let them retrieve your losses and settlement for "pain and suffering"

from my past accident experiences, my lawyer handled everything for me and the only thing they charged me for was the cost of obtaining the police report, and 40 percent cut of the money they retrieve for pain and suffering. most lawyer send you to their chiropractor for treatment. they will bill the insurance for the "cost" of it. after they negotiated and collected the money, they split it 3 way, you, the lawyer and the doctor. obviously you will have at least 50 percent cut which should be around 2 grand =)
Old 07-13-10, 09:12 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're okay!

Agreed with the poster that said just the 34k and just get a new one, and put the remaining 14k after the loan payoff down on it. You'll probably find that you came out with a newer car and payments about the same or lower.
Old 07-13-10, 09:19 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
wait...didnt you say you got hit with glass from the rear windshield? the pics show a fully in tact rear windshield and it sure as hell doesnt look like the person that hit you from behind was going anywhere near 40mph...cuz that would've destroyed your car. it wouldve destroyed your rear bumper, crash bar, trunk, both quarter panels, shattered windsheild, , shattered lights, possible frame damage and airbags wouldve definitely went off...somethings not right here...

from the pictures, the rear bumper shows just as much damage as the front bumper but it was taken off and placed on the trunk.
did you not read properly? he got hit so hard his EYEGLASSES went flying backward and landed near his rear windshield.
Old 07-13-10, 09:52 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All medical bills you will receive will be covered under your car insurance (well technically paid by the truck driver's insurance). Now your insurance will cover you up to a point until you have to pay out of pocket. Now because the accident is not your fault, you need to chase down the other driver to have them pay for it. Usually you can get a good amount of money from this after your medicals have all been paid off. Look anywhere between 5-10000$ (then subtract lawyer fees). Now you'll have plenty of money to do as you wish.

I'd advise to go this route and have physical therapy done regardless. I was in a few accidents and they all caused chronic pains in my shoulder for about a year or so. Good luck!
Old 07-14-10, 01:18 AM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure you talk to a lawyer and get the person who hit you pay for all your medical bills and your car. The process will take months depending on what insurance the person who hit you has. Good luck and glad you're safe.
Old 07-14-10, 10:38 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

As an adjuster for a very highly rated insurance company. Let me just say that half of the advice in this thread is garbage. You will not get more from an insurance company simply because you hire an attorney. You'll get less once they take their cut. If it makes you more comfortable, visit with council to learn your legal obligations and rights in your state but I wouldn't jump to hiring an attorney as you may not actually benefit from it.

I do, however, agree. Walk away from the car.
Old 07-17-10, 10:23 AM
AllBlackon
Driver

Jlee glad its mostly soft tissue and no fractures. As a former adjuster working at 3 different insurance companies. What Crystal didn't tell you was, because you were 3rd in line, what the drivers of the Jeep and the LS430 say have a lot to do with ultimately whose fault or faults its going to be (CA is a fault state). The vehicle behind you depending on how much legal council they have received will mostly likely try to pass some of that liability to you. Depending on what your statement is, they might be able to succeed in that matter. Crystal, Im not sure what company you worked for but 2 of the companies I worked for were NOT non standard and we still tried to push for what they called first call settlements which in street definition is low balling people up to our authority for amounts up to $1500 immediately after the accident and after liability is cleared and UM is ruled out. If they see quick money and need it now then they usually accept. It is also up to the person not at fault to prove their injury, he has to have the correct billing code and seek correct treatment depending on the injury. if he has no idea on what he is doing a lot of insurance companies will try to reduce his ultimate settlement. Jlee, I have been on all 3 sides of this, the victim (7 times, 1 also rear ended by an SUV uninsured driver that feel asleep on the freeway, car mangled also), the adjuster for the insurance company, and the attorney side. Regarding your vehicle, it is a fairly new vehicle, The rule of thumb (not the original rule of thumb of beating your wife) is that if they estimate at least 70% of the vehicles current street value in damages then your vehicle will most likely be a total loss, having not seen your vehicle, nor having it PD inspected, I'm not too quick to jump the gun on a total loss like my fellow members here. You also realize that there is a possibility that they might be underinsured or uninsured. Underinsured because if it is not your fault there will be 3 plaintiffs against that toyota truck and California state min is 15k/30k for BI and 5k for PD there might not be enough of her insurance to go around. Uninsured well you know 1 out 6 here in Cali don't have insurance let alone a license. If you are unsure what you are doing (given that you are new to CA Laws there is a good possibility of that) you might want to consider legal council. If you need help I have 4 attorney offices that I work with that work on contingency, which means they don't get paid unless you win,they will advise of doctors which will also work on contingency, which means nothing out of your pocket. There is a good possibility of permanent injury to you if you don't properly diagnose your injury and treat it. Like I said early its good that you have no fractures. If you need help let me know