IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Grinding noise when turning with light braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 06:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

have the same problem. took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out -- opened a ticket with corporate. they told me that it "wasn't anything dangerous".
Old 04-18-11, 04:18 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is doing it on flat surfaces or on a regular basis, then there is probably a problem. What I am referring to is when you are turned almost to say the extreme left (or right) to go up a curb into a drive and you hear a big clunk. Sometimes the same when backing out a drive and turning as you hit the street. Not always, but just every so often. It is a like a "sprong-clunk" noise. Like I said, I've had this on all our Toyota products. Been told over the years, and must be true as never had any failures, that it is normal. I do my own maintenance and have found that it doesn't happen for awhile after I've replaced pads and clean/lubed the pins and caliper sliding surfaces at that time.
Old 04-18-11, 07:55 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same prob i hear it especially when im getting on the freeway on one of the twisty ramps its annoying
Old 04-22-11, 12:45 PM
IS250Kevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just noticed this problem after switching to a bbk. anyone find out what this is? is it a ball joint or rotor/caliper issue?
Old 05-23-11, 05:35 AM
Lohus
Pole Position

Well, I am having exact the same problem as described... with light braking (even if the car is not moving at all) and turning the steering wheel - I hear the cracking noise, apparently from front left wheel.

My brake pads (low dust) and brake disks have 10k mileage.

I found TSIB L-SB-0124-08, saying "Some customers may experience front brake squeak noise when slowly coming to a stop", I've added grease between anti squeak pads but nothing changed.

Than I used copper aerosol spray and spilled all the holes in front brake supports and there were no noise for about 2k miles (but for the first 50 miles the braking was very poor because the copper got onto the working surface of the pads), and now it is back again...

If I lubed the pins does it lasts longer than 2k miles?
Old 05-23-11, 12:59 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scraping Noise

Usually first thing in the morning I hear a little scrubba scrub scrub coming from the front when I apply the brake. I don't notice it after that. I'm thinking its' dust on the pads or some weird thing where the rotors haven't warmed up yet. It is very faint and I don't feel any vibration so I'm not too concerned...also had them inspect the brakes at last tire rotation and they didn't say anything about crazy grooves or damage to the rotors. I'm pretty sure they would have suggested a repair if they saw something the needed fixing...more money for them ya know.
Old 05-24-11, 03:51 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
Usually first thing in the morning I hear a little scrubba scrub scrub coming from the front when I apply the brake. I don't notice it after that. I'm thinking its' dust on the pads or some weird thing where the rotors haven't warmed up yet. It is very faint and I don't feel any vibration so I'm not too concerned...also had them inspect the brakes at last tire rotation and they didn't say anything about crazy grooves or damage to the rotors. I'm pretty sure they would have suggested a repair if they saw something the needed fixing...more money for them ya know.
That is probably the light coating of rust that forms overnight on the rotors surface being rubbed off by the pads. This is especially true if the weather is humid, rainy, or you just washed your car without driving it before parking overnight. I get that every morning with the damp weather we have been having here lately. Even worse if you park your car for a week while on vacation.
Old 06-05-11, 02:48 PM
Lohus
Pole Position

BTW may be it is better to get rid of anti-squeal shim pads and replace them with anti-squeal lube (f.e. permatex disc brake quiet) it is like viscous bonding agent, so the pads would be "bonded" to the caliper?
Old 06-14-11, 12:40 AM
Lohus
Pole Position

Well, seems like the grinding noise can be almost totally cured by bending the 3 springs that are holding the brake pad in place, but after some time it will still come out, because 1 spring loose it strength when you brake moving forward and 2 others when you brake moving rear... it is by design...
Old 06-14-11, 12:06 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I'll have to look into this this weekend because I'm getting the grinding noise alot (driver's front) when slowly coming to a complete stop. Driving straight or turning, it doesn't matter. Cold or hot, doesn't matter. I'll see what's up.
Old 06-15-11, 06:28 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

You might have worn your pads down to the "pingers". That's the metal spring that is attached to the pads that scrapes the rotor when the pads are worn down past their useful life and before metal to metal hits.
Old 06-15-11, 11:22 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oseidler
You might have worn your pads down to the "pingers". That's the metal spring that is attached to the pads that scrapes the rotor when the pads are worn down past their useful life and before metal to metal hits.
Plain and simple it is a frequent problem with the IS brakes; even brand new pads. I had a small grind in my front-right, and subsequently thought my pads were low so I took it to my mechanic. Turns out I still had 60% left. The grind is intermittent.. sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.
Old 06-16-11, 04:56 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I somehow doubt that OEM pads are needing replaced after only 34k miles on my '06 IS350. But this weekend I will be removing the driver's front rim and checking and cleaning it all out. Probably will put in some brake anti-squeak lube on it. Will look into rebending those 3 springs too.

Last edited by Gville350; 06-16-11 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 04:17 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there no TSB for this .. i have the low friction dust pads... but theres grinding sound even when my car is stationary and turning the steering wheel
i raised this issue to lexus several times already they can't keep saying they can't find anything wrong with it

Last edited by panda327; 06-21-11 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 07:42 AM
Sharky69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I have this same noise. It sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side brake/suspension area. I know it not the brakes, only because when I pull into a parking spot right hand turn into it. I hear the creaking. It is metal to metal contact as if something isn't lubricated to well. I have a 07 IS250 w/ 43k .
Have you found out what was making that sound? i been having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when turning with light braking