IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does this airfilter look like it needs to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 12:20 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
Blitz Air filter is the best.
That's what I'm using right now in my '08 IS 350 - both the Blitz Air Filter and the Blitz Hybrid AC filter. I think the Blitz AC filter is reusable (if so, need to figure out the instructions to clean, dry, etc), but not sure about the Blitz Air Filter.

Originally Posted by Gaugster
My owners guide states to replace the engine filter every 30k BUT it is also to be inspected and cleaned every 5k. I tap it out and look through the filter at a light source to see how dirty it is.

The cabin air filter is suppose to be replaced every 10k. Again, inspected every 5k.

BTW my owners guide is for 2007 ES, GS, IS, LS & SC.
I never checked this in my owner's guide but on my.is Knightshade (Kurtz here on clublexus) put up this maintenance chart for us and had change the filters at 15k. I've just been trying to follow that (although did both my filters in the 25k mile range)

Here's the chart for everyone else:
http://my.is/forums/f126/dealer-vs-m...7/#post5733867

Originally Posted by Knightshade
The 2IS is really pretty easy... by the book you're looking at:

every 5k:
Oil change
(you can go much longer, safely... at least 7500 on normal oil, and at least 10-15k on any decent synthetic, 25k on Amsoil... but 5k is what the book says, the better to make the dealer money)

Every 15k:
Change air filter and cabin filter (you can do these yourself, maybe 5 minutes each, and pretty cheap)

Every 30k:
Change brake fluid- probably gonna pay someone to do this unless you're pretty comfortable working on your car... it's not super hard if you are, but it's one of those things you want to be SURE is done correctly- leaving air in brake lines is a Very Bad Thing.

Every 60k:
Spark plugs (again, can do yourself or not, depending how comfy you are working on cars... this is at least less of a "do it wrong can kill you" thing than brakes :P)

Every 100k:
Engine coolant

Oh, you'll need to change the battery in your smartkey every 2 years or so, if you want to count that.

That's about it for the RWD auto 250 and 350...

If you have an AWD 250 you'll have differential fluid changes in there occasionally... and if you have a manual RWD 250 you're the lucky one who can change transmission fluid (but will also get to change your clutch and flywheel for around $3,000 eventually)
Old 04-10-11, 09:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly I think that's a typo on my part... IIRC it's clean the filters at 15k and change at 30k if you haven't done so earlier.... (some folks drive in dirtier air than others- for severe duty use it has an additional schedule where you inspect the engine filter every 5k- but that's ONLY if you drive a lot on dirty/dusty roads, not for normal driving)

Just checked the current (2011) manual:
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1..._C_ISF_WSG.pdf

Sure enough- Clean AC filter at 15k, but don't replace it (or the engine one) till 30k.

That said, if you use the AC filter a LOT then you might need to change it sooner... it certainly doesn't hurt to check it more often... and ditto the air filter especially if you drive in dirty air
Old 04-10-11, 09:51 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thanks Kurtz. If that's the case, then when I changed both the OEM Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter in the 25k mile range, that's not too bad. Did you come across anything final regarding reusability (and if so best cleaning procedures) for the Blitz Air filter and the Blitz Cabin Air filter? I'm at 41k mile range right now so today maybe I'll just do cleaning by I guess shaking/vacuuming them out and putting back in.

Also, a little OT, but still haven't done the brake fluid change like I should have at 30k. Trying to take care of asap