IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VIP status rims.. what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 10:54 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

^

you do no its kinda bad to run staggard setup on awd. You gotta do it a certain way. im not too familiar with it though, maybe an awd person can chime in.
Old 07-18-10, 10:56 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, thanks for the heads up. Zoeb said it was fine with those tires.
But i would also want the opinion of an AWD person.
Old 07-19-10, 02:15 AM
CT9ARS
Driver School Candidate

I don't drive an AWD IS so i dont have experience with that specific drivetrain. But I have driven my Evo 8 for the past 6 years.

The reason why you don't run staggered width wheels and different sized tires front and rear is because they will create different overall rolling diameters. So for every mile either the front or the back will have rolled more than the other and this causes strain on the center differential.

Some AWD race cars have actually been known to run different width wheels specifically smaller in the rear but with the same size tires. This creates a softer sidewall for the rear tires and helps the vehicle to rotate more in turns. I wouldn't recommend this for a street car though. It's just not practical for the very slight improvement in handling.

Same size wheels and tires but different offsets front and rear is generally considered to be fine. As far as i know there are no adverse effects from this. Just no rotating tires unless u want to dismount them and mount them again.

back to the original topic. Those vip wheels are hella fake and I wouldnt consider LC818's vip at all. If I were you I would wait for a sweet deal to pop up in the classifieds section and/or do what you gotta do to get some more money. Get your hustle on.
Old 07-19-10, 07:34 AM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

what you can do is, order 4 front LC818 for your awd, they are 19x8.5 +30, won't rub with h&r springs for sure, you don't wanna mess up your awd system by running staggered set-up hope this helps, im in toronto too!
Old 07-19-10, 07:52 AM
Karlson
Driver

I think if you ran the same size, it would work better for you.
Old 07-19-10, 09:25 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like them. Look like replica BBS's or Weds and I don't like LC's either..
Old 07-19-10, 09:30 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

@CT9ARS - lol yeah, like i said i didnt know they were fake before i posted this thread, so i wont consider VIP Status rims anymore, and btw thats just the name of the rim maker, I'm not going for a VIP look lol! There's been a whole thread for AWD staggered, and no one seemed to have a problem if they ran the right size tires. I'm just wondering if i'll screw up my AWD system even if i ran the right size tires as Zoeb suggested, 235.35.19 front and 275.30.19 rears.

@rule1223 - lol the main reason for getting LC818 is for the crazy staggered/concave. Whats the point of getting it if im gunna get 4 front. Its nice to know someone else from toronto on this forum, the canada forum on CL is useless. haha! What is your mod list?

@Karlson - i know it would be better to run same size, but i just want to know if i can go for staggered with minor to no problem at all (by running tires to make front and rear diameter almost the same) Since performance isnt something to consider on this car, i'm gunna focus mainly on appearance.
Old 07-19-10, 10:52 AM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

The difference in overall rolling diameter between 235.35.19 front and 275.30.19 rear is .02 inches, which means the percentage difference between the 2 tires is 0.077%

In other words, practically nothing

It is common knowledge that you can staggered on AWD cars as long as the front and rear tires are within 1% of overall rolling diameter of each other, this is 0.077%, so you have a good amount of margin of error

Zoeb
Old 07-19-10, 11:03 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

Thanks Zoeb, how much can i lower it without rubbing with those size tires?
Old 07-19-10, 11:05 AM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UmattWayO
Thanks Zoeb, how much can i lower it without rubbing with those size tires?
I would say a mild drop would be fine...you MAY have to roll fenders though
Old 07-19-10, 11:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you can pick up some awd bcrs for cheap. check out the 3GS classifieds, its the same suspension.

As for staggering the wheels, it is possible but i wouldnt want to run the risk.
Old 07-19-10, 11:11 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

would you consider 1.4~" with H&R springs a mild drop?
i really dont want to roll or shave fenders
Old 07-19-10, 11:18 AM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

would you consider 1.4~" with H&R springs a mild drop?
i really dont want to roll or shave fenders
we have that setup on our IS, but we do get slight rubbing on big dips and with a load in the car.
Old 07-19-10, 11:57 AM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
we have that setup on our IS, but we do get slight rubbing on big dips and with a load in the car.
is that set up on an awd or a rwd.. cause the awd stock is higher than a stock rwd to begin with, therefore if it was slightly rubbing on a 1.4" drop on a rwd, it may not rub on a 1.4" drop on the awd.. am i correct in thinking that way?
Old 07-19-10, 11:59 AM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

is that set up on an awd or a rwd.. cause the awd stock is higher than a stock rwd to begin with, therefore if it was slightly rubbing on a 1.4" drop on a rwd, it may not rub on a 1.4" drop on the awd.. am i correct in thinking that way?
not sure on the height differences, but the car is a RWD

Quick Reply: VIP status rims.. what do you guys think?