IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone tinted their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 07:43 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the legal issues surrounding tinting the windshield. When the police are coming up on you, they are coming from behind (and the rear window usually has the maximum darkness allowance). When they stand behind the car, guns drawn *** it's always from behind. Whenever someone fires their weapon, its usually through the rear window toward the front of the cop car. And, perhaps most importantly, the windshield is where the most glare enters the car, threatening visibility for the driver.

*** I hate it when that happens... couple of times per month in my case.. j/k
Old 07-20-10, 08:00 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason the tint is illegal is not because it hides your from the police, its because it can impair the driver's vision, especially at night. I have 7% on my windows and 50% on the windshield and I love the setup. I'd go for 35% on the windshield but already get harassed enough by cops for the front sides. Thankfully I haven't been spotted for my windshield (only the sides) but I've had a few friends here in San Diego and one in Arizona tagged for the windshield; they too have 50%.

The front windshield tint is awesome. I almost never have to wear sunglasses and it cuts down on the blinding headlights on the other side of the road. I say go for 50% to be safe, 35% to be risky. Both look good!

Old 07-20-10, 08:32 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

I have all windshield done at 50% no problems with cops yet....in Norcal here
Old 07-20-10, 08:38 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Extreme437
The reason the tint is illegal is not because it hides your from the police, its because it can impair the driver's vision, especially at night.
No doubt you're right, but I don't agree with their reasoning. If I wear sunglasses at night, I see a heckuva lot better than I do driving west in the afternoons with the sun in my eyes, with or without sunglasses. I've had light sensitive eyes all my life but it gets worse as I get older. At the same time I seem to see better in low light conditions than many.
Old 07-20-10, 08:58 PM
PlatinumIS
Lead Lap

Ive been planning on getting my windshield for a while now but heard that cops can impound your car on the spot, Is that true in Cali?

I have 10% all around with a white interior so maybe 60% will be good on the front.

What do you think.
Old 07-20-10, 09:16 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think they can impound your car for tinted windows. If they find drugs in there, then I can see why.

I was told by the cops that if they pull you over and have a doubt, there are two things they do. They either get their knife and scrape the glass to see if it's tinted or they use this little hand held machine sensor thingy (like a stud finder) and put it up to the window. If the little beam that it shoots out cannot penetrate a certain amount then you can be issued a fix it ticket.
Old 07-20-10, 09:22 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i used to have 20 on the sides and 35 on the windshield but i took it off because i was getting pulled over way too much and the cops kept searching me. it still happens now that ive taken the windshield off but its alot less frequent. once i took it off i really realized how much it really cuts visibility especially on the highway at night. this definitly made me realize how dangerious it is. that and almost running about 3 people over on dark street corners making the turn.

definitly wouldent reccomend anything below 50
Old 07-20-10, 11:15 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That TP with the dark front windshield looks pretty sick. My main concern is that my polarized sunglasses cause my tinted windows to have trippy rainbow effects, and that could be bad if my windshield was tinted.
Old 07-21-10, 02:39 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

actually hawaii law states now you can use front tint..but the thing is only 80% http://tnttinting.com/node/1228

i was tempted to get it but tnt is kinda expensive..i mean i know they do a good job kuz they did my windows..but i dont think i wanna spend so much for the front..they quoted 240
Old 07-21-10, 06:34 AM
IStrip50
Rookie

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I don't think they can impound your car for tinted windows. If they find drugs in there, then I can see why.

I was told by the cops that if they pull you over and have a doubt, there are two things they do. They either get their knife and scrape the glass to see if it's tinted or they use this little hand held machine sensor thingy (like a stud finder) and put it up to the window. If the little beam that it shoots out cannot penetrate a certain amount then you can be issued a fix it ticket.
I have 35% ceramic tint on the front WS of my car. Its great. Really cuts down on the Alabama heat. Rarely do I drive at night though, but if I did I would probably have gone with 50%. Im not sure about the cop scraping your tint, but I know that the can use the meter. Its magnatized and they put one part on the outside of the window and the other part on the inside and it measures the light transmission.

The drugs in the car thing is a different story.

FYI

There are only a handful of reasons a cop can search your car without probable cause. One of them is consent from you. In no circumstances should you ever consent to a search of your car, even if you do not have anything to hide. The rational is that one of your friends may have left something behind in the backseat. In that case it would be you that would get busted for your friends mistake.

Also, having illegal tint does not give a police officer probable cause to search your vehicle, and if he does it is a violation of your 4th amendment right against unlawful search and seizure. Thus, anything that would be found would not be admissible in a case against you.

Another reason cops can search your car is if it is incident to a lawful arrest. Thus, you would have to be arrested for some reason prior to them searching your car (and even then, there are limited circumstances).

Plain view is another reason they could search your car. So, as long as what you are concerned about is not in plain view of an officer, then you have nothing to worry about.

Long story short. Never consent to letting a police officer search your car for any reason. Period. Just because you deny them consent to search your vehicle will not give them probable cause to search anyways.

The Constitution is in place to prevent these kinds of police misconduct. However, you have to be smart about this. I am not advocating illegal activity whatsoever. I just want everyone to be informed of their rights as citizens of the United States.
Old 07-21-10, 06:44 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz
That TP with the dark front windshield looks pretty sick. My main concern is that my polarized sunglasses cause my tinted windows to have trippy rainbow effects, and that could be bad if my windshield was tinted.
Any tint with a uv protection will give the rainbow effect with polarized glasse
Old 07-21-10, 08:33 AM
bills350c
Driver School Candidate

Although I visit the forum almost everyday as you can tell from my post count, I am not a frequent poster. But on this topic, I think I can add something that might be of value.

Ok, let’s talk about the law(s)

Every state has its own laws about tint. I am/was unaware that Hawaii allows tinting of front windshields, if indeed true. Degree of enforcement and penalties vary state to state. Leaving aside Hawaii (if true), NO state allows you to tint your front windshield. However, you can tint roughly a 4 inch band at the top of the windshield.

Almost every state’s law is stated in VLT (Visible Light Transmitted). So if a state’s law states 35% VLT on passengers’ windows, this does not mean you can put on 35% tint and be legal. The reason for this is that your glass already comes from the factory at around 73% (varies slightly mfr. to mfr.) so if you put on 35% tint, your glass will “meter” at around 27% VLT. While your local LEO will almost certainly not have a meter in his car when he pulls you over, there’s a good chance that a “statie” will.

There have been definitive studies done throughout the world on safety of tint. One of the most definitive studies was done (actually twice) in NSW Australia. Of course, our own (US) DOT has done theirs as have most European countries. Some European countries do not allow ANY tint.
All of these studies (which form the basis of many of the US laws and cited in deliberations in state congressional bodies) have reached roughly the same MEDICAL conclusion: at 27% VLT the human eye’s ability to discern contrast differences (which is how we see) begins to rapidly erode even for your “hawk eye” 20 year with PERFECT vision. This is particularly true during dawn/dusk hours when the human eye’s ability to discern contrast differences is the worst. The bottom line here is that if you tint your side windows at 35%, the VLT will be about 27% and you’re right at the hairy edge of affecting your vision (ability to discern differences in contrast) through your side window, particularly during dawn/dusk driving hours. The initial Australian study was NOT funded by their DOT, so you can (should?) conclude that this study was unbiased. Ok, that’s the science…

Now, let’s take a practical case. You are stopped at a stoplight in the left lane. The car to your right is making a right hand turn so it’s a little ahead of you. Your side windows are tinted at 35% and so is the car’s windows to your right. To see “little Johnie” standing on the corner trying if he can make across before the light changes, you got to look through your 35% (actually 27% VLT passenger window), and the other car’s 27% driver side window. Good luck seeing little Johnnie as he makes a run across at the last moment. If you are quick on the gas, you won’t.

Here’s some helpful information. There are really good, professional tint folks and frankly there are cut rate, bargain basement hacks. The IS is not the easiest car to tint. Some tint professionals will insist you should pull off the doors’ side panels to get a professional job, others will say that you don’t. If they don’t pull the panels, they got to be good. Leaving aside the question of whether he does or doesn’t, don’t take your car to “Tints-r-US” for a $99 tint special. You’ll get cr---y materials and a “cr---y job. Tinting professionally is a CRAFT and a good tint dude is a CRAFTSMAN. Personally, if someone quoted me $175-200 for sides and rear, I’d run away. (I think I paid $320 for premium tint and a professional job. Note: There is no such thing as a PERFECT tint job. An honest tint shop might not admit this to you, but they know it.) Try to stay away from tinting tents; airborne particles often get trapped between the film and the windows leading to a cr---y job. Why spend money on coilovers, wheels, LED lighting, etc. and then go out and get a lousy tint job. Makes no sense to me …

You might want to be aware that tint shops face fines if they get caught illegally tinting. A lot of professional shops will flatly refuse to put on illegal tints. Others will try very hard to dissuade you but may ultimately give in only because they know some other shop in town doesn’t care so you’ll just go elsewhere. Some don’t care at all. Just me, but I’d probably stay away from these shops as it may be an indication of their sense of responsibility, and thus, their professionalism. Regardless, it would be a VERY stupid shop owner that would give you a receipt for illegally tinting a front windshield. Not having a receipt could affect your warranty down the road.

Finally, if none of this means anything to you and you want to break the law and tint your windshield anyway for heat and UV reasons, try LLumar Air Blue 80 (or is it Air 80 Blue?). Expensive but virtually undetectable. This will be illegal as your windshield will meter around 67% but it is your best alternative if you want to go there.

Disclaimers: Not a tint dude, opthamologist, LEO, MD but somewhat knowledgeable about this subject. Just MHO though.

Not a goody two shoes either. In my youth, I was the opposite of Bill Clinton. He never inhaled and, er, well, I never …

Your choice on the tint …

Last edited by bills350c; 07-21-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 08:49 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

^^^thats the tint I have
Old 07-21-10, 10:10 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IStrip50
I have 35% ceramic tint on the front WS of my car. Its great. Really cuts down on the Alabama heat. Rarely do I drive at night though, but if I did I would probably have gone with 50%. Im not sure about the cop scraping your tint, but I know that the can use the meter. Its magnatized and they put one part on the outside of the window and the other part on the inside and it measures the light transmission.

The drugs in the car thing is a different story.

FYI

There are only a handful of reasons a cop can search your car without probable cause. One of them is consent from you. In no circumstances should you ever consent to a search of your car, even if you do not have anything to hide. The rational is that one of your friends may have left something behind in the backseat. In that case it would be you that would get busted for your friends mistake.

Also, having illegal tint does not give a police officer probable cause to search your vehicle, and if he does it is a violation of your 4th amendment right against unlawful search and seizure. Thus, anything that would be found would not be admissible in a case against you.

Another reason cops can search your car is if it is incident to a lawful arrest. Thus, you would have to be arrested for some reason prior to them searching your car (and even then, there are limited circumstances).

Plain view is another reason they could search your car. So, as long as what you are concerned about is not in plain view of an officer, then you have nothing to worry about.

Long story short. Never consent to letting a police officer search your car for any reason. Period. Just because you deny them consent to search your vehicle will not give them probable cause to search anyways.

The Constitution is in place to prevent these kinds of police misconduct. However, you have to be smart about this. I am not advocating illegal activity whatsoever. I just want everyone to be informed of their rights as citizens of the United States.
If you deny search in my city, they call the dog and Id rather have him to a 30 second search rather then a dog scratch up my paint, leather etc...

50% is great I have it! Recommend getting it done asap!
Old 07-21-10, 10:42 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Micaiah

They can't impound your car for tint or other mod related violations. You'll just get a fine.

I don't like the vehicle laws in CA. You can't even hang ornaments on your rear-view mirror because a-hole cops will bust you for it. I know someone who got a ticket for hanging a cross on the rear-view. Reason: obstruction of view. You are legally allowed decal on the corner of the windshield (within a certain square inch). That is why I mount my GPS on the lower driver side corner as opposed to people mounting it in the middle. People have gotten tickets for mounting GPS on the lower center of windshield.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tinted their windshield?