IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FYI - Getting your DRLs turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 06:11 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI - Getting your DRLs turned off

I noticed that at least in the 2010 manuals, at the very end, section 6.2 pg. 553, it lists DRLs as an option that can be turned off via LPS. If any dealer is giving you crap about it, just point em to the manual. I did that with mine today and they turned it off no problems, no charges.

Just thought it might help anyone who has been getting the runaround from their dealer.
Old 07-21-10, 06:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

they gave me a hard time, even when they gave me the list of applicable LPS changes. my service advisor asked if i was sure i wanted to have it disabled like three times. even when i got the car back, he asked if i was certain this was the right decision. gave me a huge lecture on road safety...
Old 07-21-10, 06:24 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
they gave me a hard time, even when they gave me the list of applicable LPS changes. my service advisor asked if i was sure i wanted to have it disabled like three times. even when i got the car back, he asked if i was certain this was the right decision. gave me a huge lecture on road safety...
O.O that seems odd. Half output high beams aren't going to help you that much during the times that people are SUPPOSED to have their lights on, but meh. As long as he did them for you, then that's all that really matters
Old 07-21-10, 06:37 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nezumi
O.O that seems odd. Half output high beams aren't going to help you that much during the times that people are SUPPOSED to have their lights on, but meh. As long as he did them for you, then that's all that really matters
Well when it rains during the day time with overcast skys.., I see a lot of people have their lights off and it makes visibility very hard when changing lane.
Old 07-21-10, 06:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Next time you see him hand him a copy of this:

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...ontentType=pdf

NHTSA study that concludes that for passenger cars DRLs actually slightly increase the overall crash rate.

When you remove the data from dusk/dawn (where headlights were likely on rather than just DRLs) the overall crash rate with DRLs goes up slightly higher than that too for passenger cars.

DRLs are of some benefit in vans and light trucks, but they make things worse on cars by a small rate, and they're certainly of no safety benefit.
Old 07-21-10, 08:22 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Well when it rains during the day time with overcast skys.., I see a lot of people have their lights off and it makes visibility very hard when changing lane.
This is exactly the time when you should have your lights on. I hate it when people don't do this.
Old 07-21-10, 11:40 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

.....why would you want to remove/disable the dlr? it's on for a reason..
Old 07-22-10, 12:11 AM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blklexo818
For looks .....since the yellow does not look nice especially when you have your HID on.
Old 07-22-10, 12:23 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nezumi
This is exactly the time when you should have your lights on. I hate it when people don't do this.
i completely agree. but on a bright, sunny day, the DRL's dont really serve a purpose. i'll admit, i disabled mine just for looks and being in so cal, they're rarely needed. i can just turn on my headlights if its overcast or whenever its absolutely necessary for driving.

good find Kurtz! i didnt know about the statistics relating to use of the DRL's. it was performed, albeit not as freely as i would have liked, but it was performed!
Old 07-22-10, 01:04 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For looks .....since the yellow does not look nice especially when you have your HID on.
DRLs aren't on at the same time as your HIDs. you're thinking of parking light.
Old 07-22-10, 04:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blklexo818
It really isn't.

Again, check my link... they actually make safety slightly worse for passenger cars. (or make no difference at all if you don't consider a 2% higher accident rate significant enough)
Old 07-22-10, 01:19 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the law requires you to have your lights on if your wipers are on as well. People that don't do so should of gotten tickets
Old 07-22-10, 01:38 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Second that.

When the wipers are on, the headlights need to be on.

DRL or parking light still gets you a ticket.

Thanks OP for the hint. I'm thinking about disabling mine...
Old 07-22-10, 02:53 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

on rainy days i turn on my lites NOT cuz its a law or anything, its so that ppl can see my front and rear so they dont bang me... DRL would only cover the front of the car and not the back so if i turn my off or run LED means nothing to me~
Old 07-22-10, 03:43 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also in Canada its law to have DRL on all car sold there, can't do nothing about that

Quick Reply: FYI - Getting your DRLs turned off