IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auxiliary port blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 06:26 PM
Badger58
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary port blues

Before you start posting links to the TSIB thread and telling me to use the search function, I've done that. Please read on.

Recently purchased a 2007 IS250, and had issues with engine noise interference through the aux jack. I have a Starmate 4, Sirius satellite radio (that had no issues in my 2000 Acura TL).

I was using the cig lighter adapter, and the aux jack for the install. A tech at a radio shop recommended I wire it straight into the fuse box, because the cig jacks often are not grounded properly and have dirty power. Well, you can't do that, because it's 5 volts. Long story short, I bought a 3rd party 5 volt converter designed for this specific radio. I then found a nice chunk of metal under the dash, drilled a hole and connected the ground wire.

Still have awful engine noise. <sigh>

So, I find this place and, thanks to all of you, I find out about the TSIB and go to my dealer to get it installed. Well, it's better, but it's still there.

<sigh>

I go to a radio shop, and they want to install a noise filter. We test that theory out, and the audio system no longer even recognizes that the radio is plugged in, won't even switch to auxiliary. Furthermore, my Blackberry and my iPod are ALSO unrecognized by the audio system, only the Satellite radio, and it still has enough interference to make me seriously annoyed.

<sigh>

So, I take one more piece of advice. Make sure the device is PROPERLY grounded. So I find a piece of the chassis underneath the dash, drill a hole, sand it down to the bare metal and put a screw in it to ground the device. I STILL GET THE $@#$@#(@&@$#@$()@*$ engine noise.

<ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!>

Obviously, I'll be revisiting the dealer, unless someone here has any clue what to do, I'm so frustrated with this.