is350 owners please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 07:39 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is350 owners please chime in.

i think im cursed or is this normal???
i had to buy new tires at 20k miles from stock bridgestone turnza.So i got good year eagle f1 a/s. now its 40k miles and i need new tires again?? will the hankooks ventus evo 12 last longer than 20k miles? should i get alignment done to avoid the inner front tires to wear so fast??
Old 07-21-10, 07:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe you should try slowing down and not hanging the turns/doing burnouts so much

AND~ when you buy tires look for 300+ treadwear rating.
Old 07-21-10, 10:37 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alignment and tire rotation
Old 07-21-10, 10:52 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant rotate your tires first of all. and go to alignment shop and tell them you want you toe set completely neutral
Old 07-21-10, 11:07 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

jeez, I have the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 on my 08 350, and I drive pretty aggressive and these tires now have 29K on them and I should be good to go through end of summer... I want to buy them again but they are the most expensive tire... love the ride quality
Old 07-21-10, 11:09 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

flipping tires across the same axle periodically (i.e. every 5k miles) will help you get more miles out of the tires.

also, check your alignment specs as everyone else has alluded to.
Old 07-21-10, 11:18 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
jeez, I have the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 on my 08 350, and I drive pretty aggressive and these tires now have 29K on them and I should be good to go through end of summer... I want to buy them again but they are the most expensive tire... love the ride quality
Some tirerack reviews from fellow IS350 owners regarding the bridgestone turanza ER33s aren't so sunny -

"Gee, let's see here...Tires were wearing thin starting at 10k miles, at 15k front were at 4/32 of an inch, another 2,500 miles later at 3/32...by 21k 2/32 (now illegal and dangerous to drive on)...at 17.5k the front were worn so unevenly that the wheels began to shake as if the wheels needed to be balanced. I have owned many rear drive cars and never in my life did I think I would say this....the REAR TIRES STILL HAVE 5k to 7k tread remaining at 21k but the front are completely bald!!!!! Save yourself the headache, before buying these I recommend making your own set from the rubber soles of old shoes laying around your house. Trust me these tires are HORRIBLE! And let's see, my quote from Lexus for a new set of Turanza's - $1,500 installed. Are you kidding me? Now, I make good money and that's part of the reason I bought this car, but $1,500 for a set of tires every two years? I could swear I bought a Lexus not a Lamborghini. So, I just ordered a new set of tires rated higher than these, name brand, longer treadlife...all 4 installed was $765! Oh wait, I guess I shouldn't forget the positives. The tires were quiet. Let's see anything else positive? NOT A CHANCE."

"This was OEM on my Lexus. OMG!!!! These are dangerous tires!!! Stay away from these. DO NOT BUY OR USE THEM ON YOUR VEHICLE. My front tires were totally worn under 15K miles. I start sliding and slipping on these non stop even on dry pavement! Horrible!!!"

As for me, my 2009 IS350 came with Bridgestone Turanza EL42s OEM, and I can relate to the first reviewer. I had to change them at 25k miles for the front tires only. The rear tires still had ~5k tread life left in them, but the front tires were already virtually bald.

I've switched to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s which have been just phenomenal. I suspect that the treadwear on these tires might in fact be worse than the OEM turanzas, but the driving experience (particularly the significantly enhanced dry traction from a dig and during high speed cornering) more than makes up for it.

Based on what I've read, I would not recommend the Pilot Sport PS2s if you are treadwear and money-conscious. They are expensive tires and they wear fast.

The Hankook Ventus V12s supposedly are ranked one better on dry traction according to a Car and Driver review and are cheaper to boot. However, the PS2s have historically set the benchmark, so I decided to try them first over the Hankook V12s solely on the basis of prestige.
Old 07-21-10, 11:20 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

stop powersliding / attempting to drift
Old 07-22-10, 04:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The ISx50 comes with aggressive toe settings from the factory.

This improves handling slightly, but leads to significantly increased inner front tire wear.

Get this fixed by an alignment shop that actually knows what they are doing (rather than one that just tries to make the lights turn green) and the problem goes away.
Old 07-22-10, 04:43 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

20K on my Eagle F1's and they look near new.
Old 07-22-10, 06:42 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
maybe you should try slowing down and not hanging the turns/doing burnouts so much

Eagle F1 A/S have a tread-wear of 420.

This guy most likely has a poor front alignment, just like oh so many other ISx50 drivers.

To OP, get your alignment done at a reputable, independent shop... not by Lexus.
Old 07-22-10, 06:56 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

I have Eagle F1 A/S on my 350. I was bad and didn't do an alignment for an entire life span of the tire (... I did it for a "science experiment" ...) and the fronts lasted me about 25k miles before it was beyond bald. 30k for the backs and they still were in pretty good shape but wearing thing.

The Eagles WILL last you if you align your car on schedule as you should. For expensive tires (Just cost me $916 to get three replaced, and the guy at Discount Tire hooked it up and gave me the fourth one free), you really should make sure your alignment is done by a proper person.

Go to the Supra Forums or something to see where they take their car in your area. I take my car to where all the Houston guys do their Supras and they do, like Kurtz said, more than just waiting for the little light to turn green.

I've taken mine to a place where that's what they did and it was a waste of money. They went "Oh, well, we aligned it the best we could with your lowered car." I knew that's when I should never go back.
Old 07-22-10, 08:39 AM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz

i started buying the 300+ treadwear rating also...

...but i didnt stop the whole "driving like i stole it" deal hahaha

some IS350 owners cant help themselves
Old 07-22-10, 08:44 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Get Hankook V12.
Old 07-22-10, 09:47 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Thanks guys!!! ill look for a good alignment shop in the so cali area.

Quick Reply: is350 owners please chime in.