2008 IS250 RWD Manual: Recommended TSIBs, Inspection, Second Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 12:16 PM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS250 RWD Manual: Recommended TSIBs, Inspection, Second Key

Hi All.

I have just bought a 2008 IS250 RWD Manual with 40,000 km (24,000 miles).

I've noticed the brake dust issue on the wheels already and read about the TSIB for this issue.

Are there any other TSIBs that should be done while the car is at the dealer?

Is it worth while to have a Lexus Dealer do an inspection? (I did not buy it from a Lexus dealer)

A second smart key was not included. The dealer said $210 for the smart key and metal key cut + $50 programming. Looking at Sewell's prices and shipping to Canada, my local dealer is actually cheaper. Is there any other better place to get a smart key delivered to Canada.

Thanks for your help.

nqh
Old 07-22-10, 01:11 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same case. Only 1 key. But Ebay sells unused and uncut keys under $100 I believe.

As far as inspection, I didn't do that. I've been driving about 3000 miles on my used car and it doesn't have any problem.

The most important thing (IMO) is to make sure you got fresh oil since your car probably had been sitting on the lot for more than 5 months (mine was on the lot for about 9 months). When I got mine, the oil was dark.

Manual car is not popular so the dealer had a hard time selling the car.
Old 07-22-10, 02:29 PM
Sunspyre
Driver School Candidate

I have an '08 RWD Manual 250.
Make sure to get the accelerator recall + the driver's carpet recall if not done already.

I had my engine cam gears warrantied even though the 250 is not on the list, but I complained about engine noise. They replaced a series of gaskets as well as the cam gears.

I did not get the brake dust warranty since I have the F-sport brake system.

Hope this helps somehow...
Old 07-22-10, 03:40 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome to CL! another 6MT owner!

I would consider getting the credit card key.....
Old 07-22-10, 06:03 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

hooray another canuck 6MT owner! the dealer pretty much has you by the cojones on the keys. The ones from ebay usually work, but I've read lots of horror stories on the E90post about ebay keys not working well.

Take it in and they'll usually do all the work on them that needs to be done, free of charge.

What parts of Canadastan you in?
Old 07-23-10, 09:06 AM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Hi Sunspyre.

When I registered my Lexus with Lexus Canada, she mentioned the driver's mat recall. I'll be sure to have that done.

Thanks for the reminder.

nqh

Originally Posted by Sunspyre
I have an '08 RWD Manual 250.
Make sure to get the accelerator recall + the driver's carpet recall if not done already.

I had my engine cam gears warrantied even though the 250 is not on the list, but I complained about engine noise. They replaced a series of gaskets as well as the cam gears.

I did not get the brake dust warranty since I have the F-sport brake system.

Hope this helps somehow...
Old 07-23-10, 09:09 AM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Hi prankster.

Oil Change would be a good idea and I hadn't thought of that. The dealer has had the car for at least 6 months, maybe 9.

Manual transmission doesn't sell well, I certainly agree. Especially the Canadian 6MT Base -- Cloth Seats, No Sunroof, 205/55/16 Tires all round. Much different than the US market from looking at the US 2008 Brochure.

Thanks,

nqh

Originally Posted by prankster
I got the same case. Only 1 key. But Ebay sells unused and uncut keys under $100 I believe.

As far as inspection, I didn't do that. I've been driving about 3000 miles on my used car and it doesn't have any problem.

The most important thing (IMO) is to make sure you got fresh oil since your car probably had been sitting on the lot for more than 5 months (mine was on the lot for about 9 months). When I got mine, the oil was dark.

Manual car is not popular so the dealer had a hard time selling the car.
Old 07-23-10, 09:13 AM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Hi busdepot.

I'm leaning toward the new key. It seems some eBay keys work and some don't. I'd rather not take the chance for $100. I did order some remote batteries from eBay to keep in the glove compartment though.

I'm located in South Western Ontario, south of Kitchener-Waterloo.

Oddly enough, the Lexus dealer in Kitchener has an almost identical car for sale 2007 6MT Cloth.

Thanks,
nqh

Originally Posted by busdepot
hooray another canuck 6MT owner! the dealer pretty much has you by the cojones on the keys. The ones from ebay usually work, but I've read lots of horror stories on the E90post about ebay keys not working well.

Take it in and they'll usually do all the work on them that needs to be done, free of charge.

What parts of Canadastan you in?
Old 07-23-10, 12:02 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nqh
...Looking at Sewell's prices and shipping to Canada, my local dealer is actually cheaper. Is there any other better place to get a smart key delivered to Canada.
...use 909RK as the source code at checkout for the Smart Fob and key. We also, just added the Ground shipping option for shipping to Canada.

Maybe that will help a bit if your on the fence for making a decision.

Darrel
Old 07-29-10, 08:40 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Nqh - make sure you sign up with Sewell with your ClubLexus membership. They are nice enough to offer pretty amazing discountsfor forum members. They're really great to deal with. Their prices are like half of what the Canadian d[st]ealers will sell for. No offense to anyone works at Canadian dealer, but it's true.

So be sure to check them out. Let us know how it works out!