IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing HIDs -A Newb's Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 09:45 AM
bichoo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its been a month and so far so good!

if u can afford to get both xtreme kits for fogs and lowbeams..definitely the way to go! I dont use my fogs all the time so the volt kit was good enough for me..plus it was getting pricy with 2 xtreme kits
Old 07-27-10, 11:49 AM
Synetix250
Driver

Question comment/question

nice work bichoo, reading up on diy's and actually doing it are two completely different ball games. i felt good about just changing out my puddle lights myself and that wasn't as easy as some claim either lol..

i'm a newbie also-i've seen some hid kits with ballasts and relays and others with just the ballast. what does the relay do and what is safer or recommended a ballast and relay or just ballast??
Old 07-27-10, 12:00 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

relay provides a constant 12V battery source, whereas connecting it directly to the connector is not constant and can cause flickering bulbs, when those bulbs flicker, they shorten the life of your HID bulbs.

Also has a fuse to protect your HID kit in case.
Old 07-27-10, 02:25 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And this is why I tell people to TAKE OFF the front bumper! LOL it's so much easier.
Old 07-27-10, 03:32 PM
stooky
Pole Position

your 5k lows look so purple lol, maybe its just the pics. anyways, congrats!
Old 07-27-10, 04:08 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on tackling this yourself! I've gone through a couple of DIY's and 15 minutes always seems to turn into an hour. Something always comes up it seems, but it feels good to actually do your own mods vs. (over)paying some shop to do it for you.
Old 07-27-10, 08:03 PM
bichoo
Rookie

Thanks brociouz. After it was all done, it was so worth it! I don't regret not taking off the bumper, I think it worked out fine. If I had to do it again, I still wouldn't take it off.

Stooky..i did a bit of editing on the pics but the light is actually slight blue..the first pic I got showing the purple is the cutoff..got it just right!

Synetix250, definitely use a relay just for extra protection. Its a bit more work but it will make ur investment last longer. I don't use my fogs all the time so I didn't get a relay for that..plus wiring the relay from the fogs to the battery would force me to take off the bumper so I decided against it. Its a XD Volt kit and so far no problems.
Old 08-20-10, 04:42 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

aghhhhhhhh. I have a question. What do you mean by reverse the polarity? I just attempted this project today, and well....I got the driver side to light, but no passenger side. I've tried pretty much EVERYTHING...swap ballasts, swap bulbs, swap harnesses....and still wont light. But I have no idea what you're talking about with reverse polarity. I just wired it the exact same way that I did with the driver's side. I checked fuses and everything, and I'm at a loss right now.
Old 08-20-10, 05:24 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

And that's why I say to remove the front bumper LOL
Old 08-20-10, 06:50 AM
bichoo
Rookie

For the fogs with my XD Volt 3K kit, I had to reverse the polarity, meaning to swap the positive and negative wireless from the connector. Pull the wires out and just swap them. I think you got the driver side to work maybe because u are using a harness and u don't need to reverse them, not sure though since I didnt use a harness for the fogs.

I can tell you this much, I had a similar problem where my passenger side would not ignite. The problem was simple to fix, push in the connectors very very tight. I kept the fogs on and played with the wiring to find the problem if there was a loose connection somewhere and voila, the connectors weren't pushed in tight enough. Did you try this? Otherwise, if you bought it from XD, contact Steve and he will help you. Let the other members chime in and give their feedback as well, they are the experts, i'm still an amateur..haha
Old 08-20-10, 07:50 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, I installed HID fogs in 15 mins total for both sides. You just turn the wheel and pull back the fender liner. You buy a DDM kit so theres no wiring to run to the battery, it just plugs in. And you're done. Sux to be a newb but we were all there at one point
Old 08-20-10, 08:27 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
And that's why I say to remove the front bumper LOL
Listen to the man. Perfect opportunity for newbies to learn more about cars in general. Taking the bumper off is not hard at all. You just need another person to help you align the bumper when you put it back on.
Old 08-20-10, 08:39 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by svntwosix
Listen to the man. Perfect opportunity for newbies to learn more about cars in general. Taking the bumper off is not hard at all. You just need another person to help you align the bumper when you put it back on.
if you buy the right kit, there is NO need to remove the bumper. Full plug and play kits can be installed by pulling the fender liner back
Old 08-20-10, 09:14 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

I just found it visually easier to mount the ballast with the bumper off. When I did it the first time, I peeled back the wheel gap and found it difficult to peek inside. I went with the do it once do it right approach to mount the ballast at the most secure spot.

I am quite new to modding so taking off the bumper did teach me more on how to work with the car. Sure it takes an extra 20 minutes, but it was well worth it in my opinion. My bumper is perfectly aligned as of this morning.
Old 08-20-10, 09:18 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Congrats on your HID install. I know the feeling of getting things done yourself...especially modding.

If it's your first time, you have to multiply the normal time it takes by 3. My first oil change took me close to an hour. My first clear bra installation took me like 12 hours total. When it's all over, you get the warm fuzzy feeling and start admiring your work... assuming it was successful.

Quick Reply: Installing HIDs -A Newb's Story