IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing HIDs -A Newb's Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 06:11 PM
bichoo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing HIDs -A Newb's Story

I finally got some time here to share my experience of installing HIDs on lows and fogs on my 09 IS250. I'm a noob when it comes to car mods and this project was making me nervous but also really excited. I had done all my research from this forum and I was ready!

Let me tell you that installing HIDs by yourself is not that simple as it seems, if you are a complete newbie! A project that I thought would take just 2 hours ended up taking close to 6 by the time I was all done..ya..6 hours!!! Can you believe it? Here is my step by step experience

1) I did the low beams first, taking everything out was simple, 10 minutes.
2) Drilling was simple. I used a dremmel to smooth out the backing so the grommet would fit tight and snug.
3) I was using a relay on XD's Xtreme product so I had to do some rewiring so everything goes through the grommet. Because of the way the wires go through the headlight cover, I had to do this rewiring twice..i forget why..but it was a pain! There are so many wires, u really pay attention to what connects to what, especially with a relay.
4) Installing the headlight was a pain, I had trouble lining up the tabs but I finally got it. The driver side is tougher but I got lucky on my first try
5) Sealed the grommet with silicone
6) Mounting ballasts simple
7) Spent a good amount of time running the wires neatly..used a LOT of zip ties!

8) The fogs were a PAIN! I didn't want to take the bumper off so we put the car up on a ramp and I opened up the wheel well's and underneath the bumper. Taking everything apart, simple
9) Installing the fogs was piece of cake, u can actually see in this case! And I wasn't using a relay
10) I had problem with one of the fogs not lighting..you really gotta push in the 9006 connector tightly. And also reverse the polarity..do this before installing..lesson learnt!
11) On the driver's side, I couldn't get the ballast on top of the air dam because of the washer fluid container so I had to mount it upside down and zip tie it like crazy
12) This took us forever..putting the underside of the bumper back on..and getting it all right into the pins..oh what a pain! I'm so glad I didnt take the bumper off! I still can't get one of the plastic screw's by the left wheel to line up and go in..oh well, I give up! Next time I go to get my car serviced i'll get them to put it in.

That's my story. Was it worth it, DEFINITELY! I'm ready now to tackle new projects! Check out the pics below of the results..5k lows, 3k fogs!

Old 07-23-10, 06:20 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job , looks great...
Old 07-23-10, 06:23 PM
willi3ja
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job, looks good, time to switch out those city lights now

Some of us have worse luck than others doing the "15 minutes install, max" but there's always that satisfaction at the end knowing you did it yourself
Old 07-23-10, 06:33 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

looks good.
first time i swapped out my d2s bulbs.. took forever.. now i can do it under 10 min's!
Old 07-23-10, 06:49 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too did it without removing the bumper but underneath the car. Anyhow, Job well done!!
Old 07-23-10, 08:20 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

looks good i just ordered lights too, im prob gonna bring it to dealer though
Old 07-23-10, 09:11 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I am not impressed by the actual modifications as much as I am by the sheer quality of the photos. Everything looks so crisp! Great job.

The first time I installed an HID Kit, I was clueless. After just a few times, it becomes so much easier.
Old 07-23-10, 09:18 PM
bichoo
Rookie

Thanks everyone!

ELL Y..i'm so jealous of your retrofit! I'm seriously thinking of getting it done next year..but i won't dare try to do it myself though..looks complicated.

I gotta admit that as nice as the 5k looks, the light output is much less than 4300k..and the halogen projectors are definitely not for HID, the cutoff's are horrible! I'm comparing this to my 06 bi-xenon ES. Gotta get a retrofit done at some point..but for now..I'm gonna enjoy this and feel satisfaction of the great work I did!
Old 07-23-10, 09:21 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agreed! Photos look absolutely stunning! I have yet to tackle the foglight HIDs because I feel really iffy about dropping the bumper, and going behind the wheel well doesn't sound much easier either
Old 07-23-10, 09:27 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Photo's look stunning and congrats on your first DIY mod, there will be plenty more
Old 07-23-10, 09:30 PM
DaNiELx626
Lead Lap

nice wut kind of HID are u running? XD?
Old 07-23-10, 09:33 PM
bichoo
Rookie

kumquatism, don't drop the bumper..take the car up on ramps and just do the work underneath and behind the wheel

Running XD's Xtreme for lows and Volt for the fogs.
Old 07-23-10, 09:54 PM
DaNiELx626
Lead Lap

oooo im getting some 3k XD Xtreme for my fogs but volt is good too so good choice
Old 07-23-10, 11:48 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice work!!

toHn
Old 07-23-10, 11:56 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thumbs up for XD Xtreme hid kits. I've had couple of these HID kits and they've work well.

Quick Reply: Installing HIDs -A Newb's Story