IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carfax shows car as "fleet vehicle"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 09:28 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carfax shows car as "fleet vehicle"?

If carfax reported the car is listed as a FLEET Vehicle. I'm not experience on any history reports list on web. Is the car bad? Anything wrong maybe or anything happened to the car. If the car is under CPO is it ok to purchase???
Thanks you everybody!
Old 07-26-10, 01:58 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if it's CPO...there's nothing to worry about

fleet vehicle means the car was leased to a company....
Old 07-26-10, 07:50 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dealer considers it good enough they will put it CPO. It has to go through a huge checklist (161 point inspection) to make sure everything is in working order and up to standards. If it is not, they will not label it as such, for the risk is too high - keeping in mind that it would be brought in several times and be costly for them. They don't want to have a problem car on their lot - that will ruin their good name. Many of those cars will go to auction for the corner used car lots to choose from.

An example of a fleet vehicle is when (say the city or county) will lease a fleet of cars to be used by them for business.

A side note: When a company says they are the "number one in sales", often times they include in the count their fleet vehicles...such as Ford, who will lease to the state for law enforcement.
Old 07-26-10, 11:46 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Should I trade my 250 in for the 2009 IS350 or wait for next Spring for the 3rd Gen. I understand it will costs a lot more to trade for the next Gen. Im so debating. Now Im looking around 14k for total trade drive out. What do you guys suggest since the 2nds Gen is almost out date. The only advance now is that I can negotiate down to 13k for drive out. My car is 2007 with 19k miles! I really like IS I would hit my head over and over again if I fall for the 3rd Gen.
Old 07-26-10, 11:57 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
Should I trade my 250 in for the 2009 IS350 or wait for next Spring for the 3rd Gen. I understand it will costs a lot more to trade for the next Gen. Im so debating. Now Im looking around 14k for total trade drive out. What do you guys suggest since the 2nds Gen is almost out date. The only advance now is that I can negotiate down to 13k for drive out. My car is 2007 with 19k miles! I really like IS I would hit my head over and over again if I fall for the 3rd Gen.
I would wait if I were you, say another year or 2 until the next Gen comes out.
Old 07-26-10, 12:16 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you can wait until 3rd gen comes out then decide.....
Old 07-26-10, 02:05 PM
ROT350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wait for another year and decide.
Old 07-26-10, 02:07 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to throw a slightly different philosophy out there: I actually like buying late in the product lifecycle. I recently got a 2010, if the new IS comes out next fall I won't be disappointed, if it comes out fall of 2012 (which I'm guessing), even better.

The reason is that later in the cycle, so many refinements and improvements have been made. I wanted this car 4-5 years ago, but I just waited... not only does my VIN dodge pretty much all the TSBs, I got a lot of extras standard that used to be options. There are just a lot of bugs in the first 1-4 years of a car's cycle, that by the last couple of years its near perfect.
Old 07-26-10, 03:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If it's CPO, should be fine.

Don't worry about lifecycle of a Lexus purchase, IMO, because the differences are minor and covered at no expense to owner.
Old 07-26-10, 04:23 PM
BradInPhx
Rookie

Sell Private party, dont trade. A 2007 with low miles will be attractive for Private Party buyers.
Old 07-26-10, 07:23 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

13k/14k for drive out? what are you talking about?
trade in your car for 13/14k? don't trade it in, i'll give you 13/14k for it
Old 07-26-10, 09:49 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he means turn in his car and pay an additional 13/14k?

If that's the case, what are they giving you for the 250? Not a whole lot...??

Last edited by Micaiah; 07-26-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 08:23 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I think he means turn in his car and pay an additional 13/14k?

If that's the case, what are they giving you for the 250? Not a whole lot...??
You are right!

This 2009 got 5,400miles on it. I had posted the web on this forum before. I got the done deal for 14,400 almost 2 months ago but I wasn't pay attention to the CPO they didn't have it on the car so I didn't trade. Now the 2009 have gone down the price a little bit. I think I can get the the trade around 13k for drive out. Now the car got CPO. I can wait another year. I know before I posted this topic some will says trade some will tell me to wait. I will wait another month to see if the 2009 will goes down a little or not. If I can get the killer deal on it.
Old 07-27-10, 08:31 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=MBTC;5669553]Just to throw a slightly different philosophy out there: I actually like buying late in the product lifecycle. I recently got a 2010, if the new IS comes out next fall I won't be disappointed, if it comes out fall of 2012 (which I'm guessing), even better.

7 years for 2nd IS that's a long cycles. I would love to see if the 3rds IS will comes out end of next year with 3.7 or 3.8 with twin intake and more sporty!
Old 07-27-10, 01:18 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
Just to throw a slightly different philosophy out there: I actually like buying late in the product lifecycle. I recently got a 2010, if the new IS comes out next fall I won't be disappointed, if it comes out fall of 2012 (which I'm guessing), even better.
7 years for 2nd IS that's a long cycles. I would love to see if the 3rds IS will comes out end of next year with 3.7 or 3.8 with twin intake and more sporty!
It's a bit longer than the current trend, but in some ways that's good. First, because a nice looking body style like the 2IS has only "falls out of style" at a rate that corresponds to how quickly car manufacturers change their body style.

So, by having a longer product cycle, and making only VERY subtle changes to a car body, the manufacturer is putting that particular car model on a pedastal of good design, and perhaps the model series will be considered a design classic one day.

Think about the Porsche 911. The basic body style today is fairly close to what it was back in the early 60s. I mean it has been updated, but the basic form is the same. This gives it a sense of class and let's one know that it is not subject to the latest teeney-bopper trend.

So, I personally hope the 3IS has changes which are very reminiscent of the 2IS, because I think they are on to a great design, and one that could really secure respect for the Lexus sports sedan over the long term, and I like the longer product cycles overall. It makes it seem like less of a bubble-gum trendy car.

It's always the lower-end cars that seem to be unable to make up their mind about what looks good and change their minds every few years.

Quick Reply: Carfax shows car as "fleet vehicle"?