IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I want smaller rims! little help please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 04:15 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sure you can find someone on the wheels classifieds willing to trade you OEM 17"s for your OEM 18"s
Old 07-28-10, 06:37 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe,
Thanks, but as I stated in the beginning, the 18's will remain only if I have no professional options of dropping to 17's.

Fortunately, I have a very solid knowledge of suspensions and what can be gained or lost by working with them. So my comfort factor at improving my cars road manors over sock is pretty much guaranteed if the correct hardware exists.

Lexus engineers are only a small part of the equation when you talk about the car you purchase. At my age(50+), you also begin to see that the marketing department controls a much of what your car includes. The first order of business from the board of directors is "build a car that will sell on today's market". What's today's market for cars? Power sells! Big wheels sell!, Sub woofers sell!, Wings and spoilers sell! Drifting cars sell! Send those requirements off to the designers, where they get with the engineers and banter about how to make it happen.

Personally, we have big rims ONLY because that is with the young influential buying consumer wants. Its eye candy, and little else.... but eye candy is what is selling right now, so poof, you get heavy rims, easily bent, rougher ride quality, and poorer performance in every day use... But hey! They do "look" good.....and looks sell!

I also believe staggered is merely a safety ploy by Lexus, and completely counter productive to cornering. They "look good", and again...."looks" sell.

I believe this car has serious road handling potential, provided you are willing to set aside some of the "eye candy" and get serious about adhesion. Ain't hap-nin' on heavy 18" staggered rims, that's fer sure!

(but that's just my opinion, of course!)
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 07-28-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 10:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMO (being one of the older IS owners too), I think Lexus makes pretty good decisions favoring ride quality when spec'ing OEM wheels on the IS250 and IS350 cars. I drove a ES350 yesterday that was on 17's with softer suspension (and softer handling and numb steering too).

To me 18's are hardly big, but that's just my opinion and I'm now running 19's w/summer tires on my IS350. No bent wheels or blown tires in nearly 2 years, but that's in CA in a moderate climate.
Old 07-28-10, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
hehe,
Thanks, but as I stated in the beginning, the 18's will remain only if I have no professional options of dropping to 17's.

Fortunately, I have a very solid knowledge of suspensions and what can be gained or lost by working with them. So my comfort factor at improving my cars road manors over sock is pretty much guaranteed if the correct hardware exists.

Lexus engineers are only a small part of the equation when you talk about the car you purchase. At my age(50+), you also begin to see that the marketing department controls a much of what your car includes. The first order of business from the board of directors is "build a car that will sell on today's market". What's today's market for cars? Power sells! Big wheels sell!, Sub woofers sell!, Wings and spoilers sell! Drifting cars sell! Send those requirements off to the designers, where they get with the engineers and banter about how to make it happen.

Personally, we have big rims ONLY because that is with the young influential buying consumer wants. Its eye candy, and little else.... but eye candy is what is selling right now, so poof, you get heavy rims, easily bent, rougher ride quality, and poorer performance in every day use... But hey! They do "look" good.....and looks sell!

I also believe staggered is merely a safety ploy by Lexus, and completely counter productive to cornering. They "look good", and again...."looks" sell.

I believe this car has serious road handling potential, provided you are willing to set aside some of the "eye candy" and get serious about adhesion. Ain't hap-nin' on heavy 18" staggered rims, that's fer sure!

(but that's just my opinion, of course!)
Vince
No argument about marketing telling the engineers what the thing must have (I will always hate drilled brake discs), but I doubt you'll find nirvana in 17" wheels. RPF-01s are the shiznitz for lightness, but if you don't like split 6 spokes, you're unlikely to be happy.

I too know an alarmingly large amount of stuff about chassis tuning and tire sizing - I supported a mini-sprint team in my adult life and grew up with 1/4 mile circle track, so I've seen a bit of what does and does not work in the real world.

Lexus does a fair job from the factory. There is surely an eye candy appeal to what they do, but they've not failed to address real world performance too. I'm still pretty amazed at what the stock 19" wheels on the IS-F deliver at the track (yes, road not drag), so don't think you'll immediately need to change what the factory configured.

If you're hell bent on changing, 17's will fit. Just keep the OEM rolling diameters and be aware the car is heavy - ideally it would be on 315s on all four corners for as heavy as it is.

Camber is not the big deal you think. Toe is everything. AMHIK.
Old 07-29-10, 07:22 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Thanks lobuxracer,

Appreciate the input, and may pick your brain on the topic as I get more serious.

Fortunately, heavy cars are nothing new to me, coming from the Audi world. Seems everything I've owned in the last 10 years has been 3200 - 3600lbs! So no unrealistic expectation from me! (But the Lex is the first in some time with a decent power plant, and respectable weight distribution!)

Right now I just need to start looking at my available options and doing the math. I figure I'll run theses OEM rims for the summer, and maybe run the winter with them too (New Eagle F1 all seasons). As I live in a heavy rain state, narrow 17's would be more preferable when the downpours begin. 245's arent that bad, but you do stay alert for standing water.

I hope by next summer to have my plans in place and money set aside to upgrade(downsize) to something far more capable than what the 18's will give performance wise. We both know that 54lbs is just way to heavy a rim/tire to get serious grip out of while running bumpy roads. I know I can get light 18's, but the cost is lots higher than going the other way, plus with 17's I get my sidewall cush . Hummm, faster transitions over bumps, softer ride, lower rotating mass for better acceleration, simplified tire rotation, and performance tires at a significantly lower costs, all spell "Win" for this old fart.!

Still need to find out the best common width and offset that will fit on all four corners if anyone has played in that area! I suspect max front width without interference will be the limiting factor.

Keep it shiny side up!
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 07-29-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 07:58 AM
nqh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian IS250 comes with 16" Standard

Hi CleverName.

I thought you'd like to know that the Canadian Base IS250 comes with 16 x 7JJ wheels. 205/55/16 tires I have no idea if they would clear the brakes on a 350.

nqh.
Old 07-30-10, 10:38 AM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Tirerack.com sells wheels that are 17" and compatible with an IS350. Just go there and see what's available. I imagine they still sell them as staggered but once you figure out which ones you like, just order 4 of the fronts instead of 2+2 and you should be good to go.
Old 07-30-10, 11:17 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mvlbr
Time for an ES350 if you want comfort.
I'd agree, but maybe the OP is not interested in wrong-wheel drive, and rightfully so, as he seems to know cars.

The IS350's 18" tires are not the same OD front & rear; the fronts are 25.09", and the rears are 26.03". So I'm not sure you'll be able to run the same size 17" tires F & R....maybe it would affect the ABS, etc? Or maybe not, I don't know.

If you do run the same size tire F & R, then a 245/45-17 may be in the ballpark - it has an OD of 25.68", and would fit well on a 8-9" wheel.
Old 07-30-10, 12:25 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joeker
im sure you can find someone on the wheels classifieds willing to trade you OEM 17"s for your OEM 18"s
+1, for sure you will find someone to do this swap in your area.
Old 07-30-10, 12:57 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

stock 17s are as follows:

17 x 8.0-in wheels with 225/45/17 tires front , 245/45/17 tires rear
Old 07-30-10, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, 17's are staggered tires sizes, I see the value for winter set of wheels with snow tires.

Are the front vs. back wheels different (offsets)?
Old 07-30-10, 01:01 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lame
10 char
Old 07-30-10, 04:45 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

nqh - Interesting, thanks! Another winter rim possibility as 205s would be great for rain and the occasional trip to the slopes (although I've gotten pretty use to 225s over the years).
Curious: Anyone know if 16s will clear the 350's rotors?

replica - Interesting and good info, thanks.
As it looks like the 17's are the same rim size/offset front and rear, has anyone had difficulties putting 245's on them up front? This may be simpler than I first thought! But of course I'd like to see just how wide a 17" rim can comfortably go, and with what offset.
Question: Are the 18's the same size rims too?

516IS - Controlling costs may have me looking at parting with my 18's but my concern is also thinking about reselling the car in 3 years... Often the value can be higher if it is perceived to be kept close to stock. Pocketing 600 now may cost me a couple grand down the road.

MIA_LEX – huh? don't confuse an old man by mumbling sonny! lol

Peace, and thanks everyone!
Vince
Old 07-30-10, 05:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

Just get the standard IS250/350 17" rims with some 225/45x17 tires. You can pick them up on ClubLexus or Craigslist for about $250 to $400. They fit fine (the standard wheel on the 350 is a 17"; you just can't buy then without the "optional" upgraded 18" wheels). I "downgraded" my 18s to 17s and haven't looked back - the ride is silky smooth now.

Bear in mind that tires will have an enormous effect on the ride quality - get a set of good quality tires (Michelin, Conti, etc)
Old 07-30-10, 10:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
nqh - Interesting, thanks! Another winter rim possibility as 205s would be great for rain and the occasional trip to the slopes (although I've gotten pretty use to 225s over the years).
Curious: Anyone know if 16s will clear the 350's rotors?

replica - Interesting and good info, thanks.
As it looks like the 17's are the same rim size/offset front and rear, has anyone had difficulties putting 245's on them up front? This may be simpler than I first thought! But of course I'd like to see just how wide a 17" rim can comfortably go, and with what offset.
Question: Are the 18's the same size rims too?

516IS - Controlling costs may have me looking at parting with my 18's but my concern is also thinking about reselling the car in 3 years... Often the value can be higher if it is perceived to be kept close to stock. Pocketing 600 now may cost me a couple grand down the road.

MIA_LEX – huh? don't confuse an old man by mumbling sonny! lol

Peace, and thanks everyone!
Vince
No ... they are 18x8 and 18x8.5

Quick Reply: I want smaller rims! little help please?