Trade in question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 07:31 PM
dayrinni
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in question

Hello all,

I recently read the face lift thread for the IS. I am stoked at the IS350 AWD. I currently have a 2008 IS250 AWD (no nav) with 20,000 miles and am considering a trade in either this or next year (MY 2011/2012).

Normally, this would be a simple question for me to find out...but...
I was in an accident in Feb of 2009. A car hit my back end going about 25 MPH. I had to have the back "bumper" replaced and the metal plate under the trunk (when you left up to see the spare - that metal plate was crumpled up). I took my car to my dealership and had them completely repair it. I have the documentation that provides all of the work they have done on the car. It runs just like new - I have had zero problems.

How will that affect my trade in?

I contacted a second dealer (I moved since purchasing the car) and they said I could only get good money if my car fax came back clean, which it won't because I have had this accident on it. The guy seemed very pushy - he wanted to call me and set me up for a test drive on an 2010 IS350 when I was only asking about the IS350 AWD.

After that, I sent an email to the sales person from the first dealership inquiring (she knows I had the accident because I called her asking about the body shop, etc) about trade in/pricing.

I just don't want to get bushwacked in this situation.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-10, 07:57 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Carfax is a joke, I'd be more surprised if it didn't come back clean. You can run one yourself just to see.

Needing a bumper and a rear body panel is a very minor accident. Unless the repair was a hack job you should expect KBB 'good condition' trade in value.
Old 07-28-10, 08:02 PM
dayrinni
Rookie

Originally Posted by ColtM4A3
Carfax is a joke, I'd be more surprised if it didn't come back clean. You can run one yourself just to see.

Needing a bumper and a rear body panel is a very minor accident. Unless the repair was a hack job you should expect KBB 'good condition' trade in value.
To be honest, I never used car fax before. I have only bought really really cheap cars (I just needed something that moved haha!) and then this car brand new. So...I don't know too much about it.

It is funny, when I bought my IS, I didn't even go to the dealership with my car. My dad took me. The sales rep believed every single word I said. When I brought the car in the next day to pick up my new jet, I tried to show her the few dings I mentioned and she just waved her hand me. So that was a pretty positive experience for me.

This guy seems like a jack *** though.

But yeah, thanks for the KBB "good" rating. I was hoping someone would tell me something along that line, as it will give me some good ammunition.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-10, 08:09 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Say you trade in your 08 for $22K and you end up buying a IS350 AWD for $40K. So it's like paying $18+ for the same car, but only a bit faster. lol good luck.
Old 07-28-10, 08:14 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

I wouldn't go in and volunteer any negative information on your car. If they find it they'll try to hold it against you, that's just business. Don't cave in, make them work for the sale. I guarantee they have used cars on their lot that have been hit harder than yours, so they can resell yours without problem. I think 'good' is a reasonable expectation for you to hold to.

Last edited by ColtM4A3; 07-28-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 08:15 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah you'll lose value for that repair cause dealer will have to tell the next person who buy it that they fixed it other wise they get busted.
Old 07-29-10, 02:43 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Say you trade in your 08 for $22K and you end up buying a IS350 AWD for $40K. So it's like paying $18+ for the same car, but only a bit faster. lol good luck.
lol 4 seconds in the 1/4... "a bit"
Old 07-29-10, 04:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whether or not Carfax is a joke, any appraiser with half a brain can tell if your car's been in an accident. They really won't care much if you have all the paperwork--they are going to want to pay less for your car.

PLUS--I had my IS in for service last week, and had an issue with my headlight. They told me that the "sensor" in the front bumper indicated an impact at some point (which was true). There's no way you can hide that the car's been in an accident.

You should just consider selling it yourself instead of trading.
Old 07-29-10, 05:01 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't go in and volunteer any negative information on your car. If they find it they'll try to hold it against you, that's just business. Don't cave in, make them work for the sale. I guarantee they have used cars on their lot that have been hit harder than yours, so they can resell yours without problem. I think 'good' is a reasonable expectation for you to hold to.
yea dont tell them anything let them find out themselves. they wouldnt tell you if something was wrong with the car. they will still sell you a lemon.
Old 07-29-10, 05:02 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
a bit? yea show me a 250 keeping up with a 350.
Old 07-29-10, 08:23 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should run a carfax report yourself and see if the accident show, also, since it didn't cause any big damages, the trade-in value should not be that low.
Old 07-29-10, 10:11 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
Whether or not Carfax is a joke, any appraiser with half a brain can tell if your car's been in an accident. They really won't care much if you have all the paperwork--they are going to want to pay less for your car.

PLUS--I had my IS in for service last week, and had an issue with my headlight. They told me that the "sensor" in the front bumper indicated an impact at some point (which was true). There's no way you can hide that the car's been in an accident.

+1. Not to mention most car dealerships will ask you to sign a release saying your car was not in an accident and/or doesn't have any preexisting conditions.

A lot of time people will just sign paperwork without reading, but if you sign that document and the dealership and or future owner come across an issue related to an accident...they have a variety of legal options which can be bad for you...
Old 07-29-10, 11:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 516IS
You should run a carfax report yourself and see if the accident show, also, since it didn't cause any big damages, the trade-in value should not be that low.
I wouldn't waste your $$ running your own car fax--you already know your car's history. Just be prepared for the dealer to say "We see it's been in an accident."

As to Rebs point, if the dealer sticks some agreement in front of you certifying that it's not been in an accident, tell him "No--your appraiser inspected the car, and the trade in is AS-IS." If you have to certify, and they have some type of possible recourse against you, the trade in price should be more to cover that possible risk.
Old 07-29-10, 07:15 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670

Depending on what was fixed and how well the repair was done it is absolutely possible for them not to know a car has had been wrecked. Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is that the OP's car had very minor damage done to it. This is why I feel KBB 'good' trade in value should be expected. Obviously if it was never hit it should rate 'excellent' and bring a higher number.

Selling privately is good advice under any circumstance.
Old 07-30-10, 05:13 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know because I recently bought a IS350, when looking at the carfax it will give an adjustment for the retail value or trade in value based on the number of owners or accidents and I'm sure a few other factors. Most states will classify the accident minor or major at the time of the police report and Carfax recognizes this. If the dealer trys stealing your car, I would print out the KBB trade in value and the Carfax for the adjustment (Sucks to pay $35 for it) and use that to get the most out of your trade as you can. Of course selling it out right is the way to go. If you had all the documentation for the accident and the repair was legit, I would prefer your car over others because I could probably get it a little cheaper than one that has never been hit.