IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Are you an IS-350 owner with confirmed broken valve springs?
Check engine/VSC light on, no power and confirmed broken valve springs
8.06%
Check engine/VSC light on, confirmed problem NOT related to broken valve springs
4.84%
Check engine/VSC light on, gas cap loose or sumthin stupid like that
6.45%
Intermittent Check engine/VSC light on, still don't know what the problem is
12.90%
Never had Check engine/VSC light on with my IS-350
62.90%
Non-IS350 owner, but just wanna vote :-)
4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

IS-350 Check Engine, VSC light on, no power --> broken valve spring recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 07:36 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allst4r
i was told by my lexus advisor that its every 2 out of 1000 is owners will have this defect.
Check out the results of the poll I conducted. We have 3 confirmed IS-350's with broken valve springs so far. The expected failure rate Lexus gave - 2 out of 1000 (.2 %) is not very accurate imho. It seems higher.
Old 08-10-10, 08:01 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcJten
hengkoy, I'm super jelous of you. I bought an 08 IS350 last month and the dealership has been holding it for the recall. I went in yesterday and the service manager told me he still has no idea exactly when the parts are coming in.
Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. I felt the same when I ordered mine in 07 through my sister-in-law who works for Toyota. Yes, I got a big discount by paying employee price, but I had to wait 3 long months! Hang in there!

Parts are already available for the recall. The dealer was able to get it for my car. I guess they gave mine priority cuz it was broken.
Old 08-11-10, 02:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by hengkoy
Check out the results of the poll I conducted. We have 3 confirmed IS-350's with broken valve springs so far. The expected failure rate Lexus gave - 2 out of 1000 (.2 %) is not very accurate imho. It seems higher.
Based on Club Lexus? We've only got 132,246 members with 1100 online right now at 5:15 am EDT, many of whom are 2IS owners - it is the most active model forum on CL. If we only have 3, I'd say Lexus is overstating it.
Old 08-11-10, 11:55 AM
hengkoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Based on Club Lexus? We've only got 132,246 members with 1100 online right now at 5:15 am EDT, many of whom are 2IS owners - it is the most active model forum on CL. If we only have 3, I'd say Lexus is overstating it.
Poll results so far is 10% failure rate. I know this is showing way higher than actual cuz the only people checking out this thread are those who have CEL and VSC lights on. I'm sure you would feel the same way as me if this happenned to you!
Old 08-11-10, 02:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Poll results so far is 10% failure rate. I know this is showing way higher than actual cuz the only people checking out this thread are those who have CEL and VSC lights on. I'm sure you would feel the same way as me if this happenned to you!
Right, but if I believed Internet polls and recommendations, I'd never buy lots of top rated products because you can always find people who complain about the thing they bought being the worst thing ever. I recently tried to discern whether Lennox or Trane has a better service record. I went to some web sites and BOTH (top tier companies) have a less than 2 star out of 5 rating. Why? Because people are far more inclined to search the web and complain than they are to search the web and say good things.

The CL poll is so completely UN-scientific it is really pointless relative to actual occurrence in the Lexus fleet.
Old 08-12-10, 12:45 PM
hengkoy
Rookie

Is there any way to find out how many IS-350 owners are in CL?
Old 12-15-10, 03:29 PM
efdrums
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation OMG!!! Same thing...

I have an 07 IS-350 with 65,607 miles. It's out of basic warranty, and I didn't purchase the extended warranty. Yesterday as I was leaving to go to work, and pulling out of my driveway, my car stalled! I turned the car back on, the Check engine and VSC lights came on, the engine was vibrating so much making the whole car shake. At idle, it felt like the engine was going to stall again. I pushed on the gas pedal, and tried to drive it. The car didn't have any power at all! It felt like I was driving my old Toyota 4-cylinder Tercel!

So I went back to my driveway to check things out. I opened the hood and tried to look for any obvious things like disconnected vacuum lines etc. Everything looks good, so I decided to reset ECU by disconnecting negative terminal on battery, thinking this might help. It didn't - same symptoms!

So, I decided to sputter along and take it to the dealer. It sounds like the engine, and it should be covered by 72-month/70K powertrain warranty. I made it there alright. I was given a loaner car (HS250H). The Service advisor called me at work a few hours later, and told me it's going to cost me $350 initially just to get in there and tear it apart because it's showing cylinder #4 Fuel injector fault, and they have to spend time to tear it apart and find out what's wrong. I said, isn't this part of the 72-month, 70K powertrain warranty? He said unfortunately, if it's the fuel injector, then it's not covered because it's not internal to the engine, but if it's something else inside, then definitely it will be covered. I was also told the $350 will be applied to the total cost of repair if it wasn't going to be under warranty. At this point, I felt I was at the mercy of the dealership because I need to find out what's wrong. I'm thinking if I can have them pin point the problem, maybe I can opt to get it taken cared of somewhere else cheaper if it's going to cost me a lot more.

Today, my Service Advisor called back to tell me the good/bad news. Bad news --> I will not be able to drive my IS-350 for a while, but good news --> everything will be covered under factory warranty! It turned out I have a broken valve spring!! This is what the recall was about! Recall was announced in early July. Apparently they haven't put together the replacement parts kits yet. My service advisor can't give me an estimate of when the parts kits will be available, but he said of course my car will be given priority since it's broken. They may have to put together that kit locally if it turns out it will take a very long time to get them from the factory. All day yesterday, I was thinking I will be spending at least $350, so I'm thinking to myself, there goes my F-Sport intake! But now, I'm happy I can still look forward to it! I was also looking at the forum to see if there are any other IS-350 owners that experienced this problem. All I found out was IS-250 owners experiencing rough idle etc. but I did find a post where the op was going wot when he experienced the check engine/vsc, and it turned out to be valve springs, and it was also cylinder #4! I just couldn't find that post anymore, sorry! I guess his problem was the spring was getting weaker, but mine totally broke.

I just hope they do a good job in replacing those valve springs! No leaks, please! Link to CL post about the recall:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html

The recall states failure rate is expected to be at .2% I feel special cuz I'm in that elite group fo 0.2%!
Today as i'm on the freeway my '07 IS350 started vibrating like a mother and the VSC and Check engine light started lighting up my panel!!!! I pulled over to see if perhaps something was wrong under the hood and nada... So I get back in car started it up but it was vibrating worse than a dirt bike on rocks!!!! I pushed it back off, then back on 20 mins later and by then the car wouldn't even turn on just the ignition would keep going so I got it towed to the dealer, they said the recall was in effect (My warranty is up as of Oct) so i got the loaner the whole shabang... WOW thank God I was close to home my parents AAA got me outta there... Not to mention I was on my way to go pick up an Invidia MidPipe!!
Old 12-15-10, 05:12 PM
vinconist
Pole Position

^^^ sucks, glad everything is covered
Old 12-24-10, 10:55 AM
efdrums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vinconist
^^^ sucks, glad everything is covered
Yeah only problem now is the idiots at Keyes Lexus broke my Front license plate cover and scratched my hood!! Cars runs great now though!